Search

duty free in HKG - iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AF, EK
duty free in HKG - iPhone

Hi,
I am considering flying via HKG to buy some things in the duty free there. I would be only in the transit area. Is it true that the iPhones sold in HKG are simlook free? Are the prices at the airport any good?
Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:59 pm

Duty free is a misnomer - it merely means you don't pay local customs tax. For HK, which is already a duty free country, you don't save anything per se. And given the high rentals at HKIA, it is often more expensive to buy here than say in HK itself.

Don't expect any deals, except for possible cigarettes and liquor. Even perfume and cosmetics are cheaper outside the airport.

As far as unlocked iPhone, you must order via HK apple on-line store. If they are sold at airport, they are locked versions.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by check balance
Hi,
I am considering flying via HKG to buy some things in the duty free there. I would be only in the transit area. Is it true that the iPhones sold in HKG are simlook free? Are the prices at the airport any good?
Thanks.
There are unlocked phones available in HK. As far as I know the only way to buy a legitimate Iphone without a plan in HK is through the apple website online. The price is 5400HK$ for the 8gb and 6200HK$ for the 16gb. Free shipping within HK. HK warranty only.

http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/hom.../family/iphone
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, AF, EK
thanks for this information. so it won't work how I was planing to do. I guess I must make a weekendtrip with the family to get it. (where the demand is rising permanently)
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by dtsm
Don't expect any deals, except for possible cigarettes and liquor.
Very well said. Veuve Cliquot is $420 at HKIA but only $330 at Watson's Wine Cellar.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I agree - HKIA is, almost without exception, a rip-off. Buy it in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.