Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

High-floor "Cafes" in Yau Ma Tei - bona fide/girly bars/other?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Had a one-night layover and decided to, for the first time ever, stay on the peninsula (but most definitely not in The Peninsula! ) instead of the island. Wanted to have a coffee early afternoon and decided to avoid Starbucks- but nobody seemed to know of any Pacific Coffee outlets nearby, and there seemed to be little in the way of independent cafes (and I was being too thick to realise/remember that there's a lot more going on in Mongkok than around Jordan). I walked down Nathan Road a bit in case I came across anything...One office block had signage for 3-4 cafes on the higher storeys, so I wandered into the entrance and saw banners for them right next to the lift, showing off pictures of their interiors and, in one case, even a snack menu. The interiors looked a bit dark and full of sofas, and there were no shots of customers or any other activity. One of them did have a picture of a Danesi espresso cup, so I thought 'well, I don't care what kind of place it is, I need my fix NOW, so I'll just go up there'. Took lift to floor 20, the door was locked. What coffee shop is there anywhere in the world that's closed at 13:30?

Remembering that there was another one on the 19th, I climbed down the stairs to find TWO locked doors - one was signed "VIP Members only". That must be quite an elite coffee venue!

Went downstairs and noticed one of them had opening times, and it opened at 15:00. Closing time was either midnight or 3 am (I'm a bit confused), which is also very odd for an office-block-based cafe!

So, does anyone have an idea of what kind of places these are? Girly bars, 'hidden' gambling rooms, centres of other illegal activity or merely some legit but VERY confused coffeeshops?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Definitely not coffee shop. Girls, drugs, rave parties, gambling, whatever. But not coffee.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Definitely not coffee shop. Girls, drugs, rave parties, gambling, whatever. But not coffee.
Maybe I should check them out in my next visit.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by graraps
Maybe I should check them out in my next visit.
Me too! Except not the girly bars.

I just love that you stumbled across these accidentally, graraps. It's like a little window into the past, the misty days of old Hong Kong. But, seriously, what did you think when you took the lift up to the 20th floor in a building full of high-floor "cafes"?

Reminds me of a time last year when I was looking through an old tourist guide book to Hong Kong printed in the late 1980s, which my family bought before our first trip there. The book had huge sections on what to do in hostess clubs and what the girls supposedly think of all the white men who patronize those places. Saw a bunch of those in TST East. But now, like Kai Tak, they're mostly gone. Or at least gone underground.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Me too! Except not the girly bars.
I just love that you stumbled across these accidentally, graraps. It's like a little window into the past, the misty days of old Hong Kong. But, seriously, what did you think when you took the lift up to the 20th floor in a building full of high-floor "cafes"?
I thought that I needed a caffeine fix and that they may be all-day shops rendering differing services depending on what time you visit them. Plus the shot of the Danesi cup. But I like people-watching, and, as long as there was no pressure to participate, I wouldn't have minded visiting a gambling shop or girly bar and looking at the goings-on.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by graraps
I thought that I needed a caffeine fix and that they may be all-day shops rendering differing services depending on what time you visit them. Plus the shot of the Danesi cup. But I like people-watching, and, as long as there was no pressure to participate, I wouldn't have minded visiting a gambling shop or girly bar and looking at the goings-on.
It depends what type of caffine fix you wanna to do. If you want a caffine fix plus some eye candy, SOHO - Peak bar may be a better choice (Sorry it's @ Central)

I think you can try Knutsford Terrace for a Turkish Coffee (with some eye candy @ night), but they are busy restaurants and not for pro-longed stay. Starbucks is always my first choice for caffine fix in Hong Kong ...
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There has always been a huge underground "society" in Hong Kong. The movie producers don't just imagine plot lines and backgrounds for "A Better Tomorrow", "Infernal Affairs" and all the rest.

The key is a "balance". The cops and the triads each know their bounds. When one side pushes it too much, then the other side pushes back. And the society needs its "entertainment", which these places provide. If you crack down on them too much, people are not going to stop the activities - you just push more to go to Macau and more significantly these days - Shenzhen. Which the HK authorities have zero control over.

So, as long as nobody is getting killed. No huge number of young people overdosing, and not too many people jumping off highrises due to gambling debts, this "balance" is maintained. Everybody's happy.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
It depends what type of caffine fix you wanna to do. If you want a caffine fix plus some eye candy, SOHO - Peak bar may be a better choice (Sorry it's @ Central)

I think you can try Knutsford Terrace for a Turkish Coffee (with some eye candy @ night), but they are busy restaurants and not for pro-longed stay. Starbucks is always my first choice for caffine fix in Hong Kong ...
As mentioned in the OP, I like Pacific Coffee (the free internet doesn't hurt!), but I was unfamiliar with the neighbourhood and nobody knew where the nearest one was.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

duplicate post

Last edited by graraps; Jan 10, 2009 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pacific Coffee are mostly in tourist/expat/yuppie areas, as well as in large shopping malls. According to their website, they only have one store in Mongkok, on Prince Edward Road West; and one in Jordan - inside the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Of their 5 stores in TST, the northern most one is in the Miramar.

Starbucks have more stores in the area - including Nathan Hotel in Jordan, the Gala Center on Dundas Street, etc... But, no free computer to use, of course.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by rkkwan
There has always been a huge underground "society" in Hong Kong. The movie producers don't just imagine plot lines and backgrounds for "A Better Tomorrow", "Infernal Affairs" and all the rest.
Or my favorite from that genre, "Chungking Express."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.