Search

Cooking Classes and Solo Travel Tips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:37 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Cooking Classes and Solo Travel Tips

I will be taking my first ever trip to HKG (a week's holiday) at the end of the month. I've looked through old posts on this forum - excellent tips, thanks everyone!

But I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good things to do when you visit on your own. Obviously, the touristy stuff can be done in various numbers, but I'm looking for things like: what's a relatively sociable place to stay, where I can go out at night without feeling awkward (I'm not the most outwardly going person in the world), etc.

One thing I'm interested in doing is learning to cook Hong Kong style food (particularly Dim Sum - the less challenging varieties, obviously...) as this is one of my interests. If you have any recommendations for places doing short (1-3 day) stints, that'd be excellent. Google has so far proved inconclusive.

Finally, is a side trip to Macau worthwhile, or am I better off visiting the more remote reaches of HK itself?
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I am afraid dim-sum classes really aren't that popular. Most locals really don't have the time and the kitchen space to do much cooking anyways. But you can check with the Hong Kong Tourism Board to see if they have any info: www.discoverhongkong.com

You won't feel awkward going out at night, anywhere in Hong Kong. But if you want access to the most shops and restaurants nearby, the Tsimshatsui area in Kowloon is still the best for tourist. Or Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island.

In my opinion, if you have a whole week in Hong Kong, then you should go to Macau for an overnight trip. [Hotels are cheaper in Macau than Hong Kong too.] Even though it has been overbuilt with highrise buildings, there are still a lot of gems in Macau, due to its much longer history than HK, and heavy Portugese/Jesuit influence. You should find it pretty interesting, and don't forget to have some Portugese food there.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 4:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Dim Sum Making
Literally meaning “to touch your heart,” dim sum consists of a variety of dumplings, steamed dishes
and other items such as the famous egg custard tarts. Originally a Cantonese custom, dim sum is inextricably linked to the Chinese tradition of “yum cha” or drinking tea. Guests learn the art of making dim sum in the Spring Moon kitchen, followed by a dim sum lunch in the hotel’s Spring Moon restaurant. Available Monday through Friday, for a maximum of six persons, for 90 minutes.
Duration: 90 minutes

http://newscenter.peninsula.com/webl...tch1=pen-press
Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:24 am

Re solo travel:

Many of my recent trips to HK have been solo, and I find that it's a great city for someone traveling by him/herself, in large part because Hong Kong is so well suited for tourism in general (transportation is amazingly easy, English is widely spoken as a 2nd or 3rd language, etc.).

One tricky part for the solo traveler is eating. Frankly, it's difficult for a single to enjoy most of the city's better Cantonese or other Chinese restaurants, because so much of the experience in such places is when several diners share a variety of dishes. About the best I've found you can do in a top-notch Chinese place is to go for lunch and have dim sum.

That said, plenty of other good choices abound for single diners. For an overwhelming and excellent choice of foods, some hotels offer extensive and superb buffets. For example, both Shangri-La's (for dinner) and the IC on Sunday afternoon have amazing buffets with all sorts of Asian, European, and American foods. Restaurants at any hotel also treat singles well (again, the Chinese restaurants usually not the best choices).

For less formal stuff, the choices are nearly infinite. If you're adventurous, stop at any of the hole-in-the-wall noodle shops or other lunch stands, where you might have to do some pointing and gesturing if you don't speak Cantonese. For a bit lesss adventure, head off to any mall, where the food courts are often excellent. One of the very best is in Pacific Place, called grEAT, where you can get take-away or eat-in (at counters) with a 8 or 10 made-to-order food styles.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:25 pm

"HK Unique Experiences"- Cooking Class

sorry that this info is a bit too late for your trip but I've just chanced upon this. Hope it will be of some use in your (or someone else's) future trips to HK nonetheless!

http://webserv1.discoverhongkong.com...e_138498.jhtml
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Wanted to bump this since the last link is dead. Anyone have any info on cooking classes in Hong Kong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.