Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Lantau Island -- Disneyland & Cable Cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Accor Gold, SQ*G, MH Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador

Hello... just a quick but very ignorant question. I have one quick day in Hong Kong, staying at the Nathan Hotel along Nathan Road (my company has a good corporate package with them).

I am thinking of spending a day purely on holiday only and my travelling buddy wants to go to Disneyland and take the cable car to the giant Budduah (spelling) statue. On the map they both look like they are on the Lantau Island???

Can someone please help me with directions, or will going via a travel agent be a better bet? The last thing I would want is to be stranded... The MTR looks like a good bet. Appreciate all responses!! Thanks heaps!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
No travel agent necessary.

To go to Disneyland, take the MTR. From the Nathan Hotel (Jordan MTR), take the Tuen Wan (Red) line to Lai King, and then switch to the Tung Chung (Orange) Line. Switch at Sunny Bay to the Disney line.

To go to the Big Buddha, you can continue on the Tung Chung Line MTR to Tung Chung, and then switch to the NP360 Cable Car. Alternatively, you can take the ferry from Central (on Hong Kong Island) to Mui Wo, then take #2 bus to Ngong Ping.

You should go to the Big Buddha first, as NP360 cable car closes by 6 or 6:30p, while the Disneyland opens late for parade and fireworks.

If you have the time and want to try the ferry and bus, you can start from your hotel, take one of the many buses down Nathan Road to the Star Ferry. Cross the harbor, then walk west to the next pier for ferries to Mui Wo. Then bus to Ngong Ping/Po Lin Monastery/Big Buddha. Afterwards, take NP360 cable car down to Tung Chung. From Tung Chung, take MTR to Disneyland.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by metcalve
Hello... just a quick but very ignorant question. I have one quick day in Hong Kong, staying at the Nathan Hotel along Nathan Road (my company has a good corporate package with them).

I am thinking of spending a day purely on holiday only and my travelling buddy wants to go to Disneyland and take the cable car to the giant Budduah (spelling) statue. On the map they both look like they are on the Lantau Island???

Can someone please help me with directions, or will going via a travel agent be a better bet? The last thing I would want is to be stranded... The MTR looks like a good bet. Appreciate all responses!! Thanks heaps!
You'd be pretty knackered doing both in one day. Do yourself a favour, choose 1 only. It's getting dark around 5 and that's happy hour time.

Personally, I'd give Disneyland a miss, it's rubbish, the food there worse.

To do the Buddha, take the MTR to Tung Chung and either get the 23 NLB bus or the cable car. Single journey up to Buddha and unlimted bus rides on NLB also poss. The roads on Lanatau are pretty rough though, I can see aching bones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.