Wiki Posts
Search

Runway question in general, and specifically HKIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Runway question in general, and specifically HKIA

Don't know where this really should go, but relocate it if it's wrong, thanks.

I have a question about runways. HKIA has two parallel runways: 07L/25R, and 07R/25L. How would you be able to tell which direction is which? I know that 07 means it's 70 degrees (ie close to the direction of east), but say for example you are taking off from 07L. Would you be on the runway in the north or south? Do you takeoff from west to east, or east to west? Does this change during landing?

Now for the specific question about HKIA. I know that if you takeoff/land with a certain runway, you get a really good view of the HK harbour on both sides. Which are they?

Thanks for helping in advance!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:20 pm

The directions are based on the pilot's perspective. 07L is the runway that's on the left when you're facing 70°. This applies for both takeoff and landing -- if you're taking off on 25L the compass will read 250°.

Whether you take off on 25L or 07R (the same runway but going different directions) is dictated by traffic control, usually due to the wind direction.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
07L is an east-heading runway to the left of 07R, and is therefore on the northside.

07L or 07R head toward the city, but whether you right through the harbour (in order to see the city on both sides depends on the departure path, which is not necessarily correlated to whether 07L or 07R is used. My last HKG-SFO departure make a 90-degree right turn to the south of HK Island before resuming an east heading.

BTW, HK's ATIS can be seen here: http://www.weather.gov.hk/aviat/atis.htm
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hong Kong Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
On the majority of my flights into and out of the new HKG, we used 7L for landing and 7R for take off.

Here is a photo I took after departure from 7R from the left side of the aircraft, when we were above HK Island, looking down at the old Kai Tak runway.

http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p1034994400/e14ee7537

When the wind direction is reverse, they'll use 25R for landing and 25L for take off usually, I believe. In that case, when landing you'll get a good view of Victoria Harbour and the city from the left side of the aircraft a few minutes prior to arrival.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had more takeoffs on the direction of 25 as oppose to 7. For landings, I've had more or less equal frequency between 25 & 7.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
You asked this on Yahoo Answers didn't you? I responded
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
You asked this on Yahoo Answers didn't you? I responded
yup i did. no one responded for a while. thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

thanks for replying everyone and for all your help!
i get it now! hope i'll be lucky enough to steal glances of the harbour this winter. i've only had the chance to do it once, on a flight from beijing to hkg.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
During the summer time 90% of the chances will use 25L for take off, 25R for landing, & here are some of the 25R landing night shots:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=51

During the winter time 90% of the chances will use 07L for landing, 07R for take off, & here are some of the 07R take off evening shots as well:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=52
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
During the summer time 90% of the chances will use 25L for take off, 25R for landing, & here are some of the 25R landing night shots:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=51

During the winter time 90% of the chances will use 07L for landing, 07R for take off, & here are some of the 07R take off evening shots as well:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...9&postcount=52

That's interesting and those photos are great thanks. ^

Noticed this morning that they were using 07R for take off.
Most weekends in the morning I can see then use 07R for takeoff and switch in the afternoon to 25L for landing.

I'll take a closer look this weekend.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: MPC
On Sunday it was 07R takeoff all day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.