Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on 1st trip to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by lance1713
Absolutely! Best .25USD attraction in the world! Splurge...go 1st class (upstairs with A/C) for an extra .10USD ;-)
Not worth it.

2nd class have lots of advantage:

- You can walk around the ferry during sailing, which is not allowed in 1st Class
- You can see the sailors throw the ropes at the pier
- You don't have to walk up the stairs
- You get more dramatic pictures of the harbor because you're closer to the water

In fact, even if upper deck cost LESS, I'd still go lower deck.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Not worth it.

2nd class have lots of advantage:

- You can walk around the ferry during sailing, which is not allowed in 1st Class
- You can see the sailors throw the ropes at the pier
- You don't have to walk up the stairs
- You get more dramatic pictures of the harbor because you're closer to the water

In fact, even if upper deck cost LESS, I'd still go lower deck.
Fair enough on the sailors and the ropes and the better pics (not sure how much better though having taken both). I've walked around plenty in 1st, usually taking pics from different places. A/C in the summer upstairs wins out for me though.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by lance1713
Fair enough on the sailors and the ropes and the better pics (not sure how much better though having taken both). I've walked around plenty in 1st, usually taking pics from different places. A/C in the summer upstairs wins out for me though.
The harbor is about 1/2 the length of what it used to be, with all the land reclamation taking place. The ride is also now pretty short. But for first timer, still worth doing, especially in evening.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by dtsm
The harbor is about 1/2 the length of what it used to be, with all the land reclamation taking place. The ride is also now pretty short. But for first timer, still worth doing, especially in evening.
The distance of the Star Ferry from Tsimshatsui to Central, as measured on Google Earth, was about 0.83mi/1.3km for the past many decades. With the new pier opened over a year ago, it's about 0.63mi/1.0km.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.