Advice on 1st trip to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)

So we will be stopping in HKG for a few days before heading on to MNL. First time in Asia for both of us...

Couple of questions...

1. Ideas on where (hotels and or areas of the city) to stay. We are medical students, so not looking for the cheapest rundown hostels, but need something affordable, clean and safe. I'd give a price range, but no idea what things run in HKG.

2. How many days would be a good amount of time to check out the city?

3. Any highlights or suggestions of things that are "must see/do?"

4. Which airport and airlines are the best option to fly to MNL?

Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
So we will be stopping in HKG for a few days before heading on to MNL. First time in Asia for both of us...

Couple of questions...

1. Ideas on where (hotels and or areas of the city) to stay. We are medical students, so not looking for the cheapest rundown hostels, but need something affordable, clean and safe. I'd give a price range, but no idea what things run in HKG.

2. How many days would be a good amount of time to check out the city?

3. Any highlights or suggestions of things that are "must see/do?"

4. Which airport and airlines are the best option to fly to MNL?

Thanks a lot!
1. For first time to Hong Kong, stay anywhere between Mongkok and Tsimshatsui on the Kowloon Peninsula, or from Central to Causeway Bay on the northern shore of Hong Kong Island. That's where you'll find most hotels anyways.

Hotel cost depends on the exact date you're going. But in general, expect to pay $30 for a hostel/guest house, $80-$120 for 3*, $150-$200 for 4*, and $300+ for 5*.

2. 3-4 days in the city. If you have another day or two, you can make an overnight trip to Macau.

3. Other than riding the Star Ferry, there's really no "must see" or "must do" in Hong Kong. It's mostly about experiencing the city.

4. There's only one airport in Hong Kong, which is HKG. 4 airlines fly HKG-HNL - CX, PR, 5J (Cebu Pacific) and UO (Hong Kong Express). It's a short flight. Whichever have the best fare and schedule.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Not sure what you like to do, but since you are medical students you might be interested in this free Chinese medicine class.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...kto_medi.jhtml

I have not attended it but I have enjoyed the Tai Chi classes early morning on the waterfront.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For an excellent value lodging option, I'll recommend the Ibis. It's not in Central, but it's only 10 mins on the MTR, and you should be able to get a harbour view room for under HK$500. Plus the immediate area is full of great-value shops and restaurants catering to locals, and the North Point ferry takes you to within spitting distance of Mongkok.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by graraps
For an excellent value lodging option, I'll recommend the Ibis. It's not in Central, but it's only 10 mins on the MTR, and you should be able to get a harbour view room for under HK$500. Plus the immediate area is full of great-value shops and restaurants catering to locals, and the North Point ferry takes you to within spitting distance of Mongkok.
Ibis is good value, but expect very very small rooms.

I doubt anybody can spit from Hung Hom, Kowloon City or Kwun Tong to Mongkok. All require a bus or taxi ride of 20 minutes or more during daytime.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:20 am

I would recommend you check out:
  1. Ladies Market - This is basically one long street of street vendors hawking their wares. A lot of them sell the same stuff and it does get boring after a while but it's very cool going for the first time. If you go, you absolutely MUST bargain. They will rip every dollar they can off of you. On many items you can get it for around 20-30% of the original asking price. If you're not satisfied with the price simply walk away and the vendors will usually shout their best price.
  2. Victoria Peak - I'd suggest going here during the afternoon and staying until sunset. You'll be able to get a great view of Hong Kong.
  3. Hong Kong Island Trams - The trams run up and down Hong Kong Island. Just get on at one end and take it all the way down. It'll go through the fancy financial districts all the way down to the very local areas of Hong Kong. The best part is that it's only 2 HKD.

Good luck planning your trip!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joblow
Hong Kong Island Trams - The trams run up and down Hong Kong Island. Just get on at one end and take it all the way down. It'll go through the fancy financial districts all the way down to the very local areas of Hong Kong. The best part is that it's only 2 HKD.
You actually cannot take a single tram to go from one end of the island to the other. Trams from Kennedy Town at the western end only goes as far east as Causeway Bay or Happy Valley, while trams from Shau Kei Wan at the eastern end only goes as far as west Western Market or Happy Valley. There is no free transfer. But all trams will pass through Causeway Bay, Wan Chai and Central (except for those going to/from Happy Valley).

For most who just want to have a taste of the tram, just ride one between Central and Causeway Bay. If one have lots of time and want to see the areas beyond, I'd suggest riding one heading east to Shau Kei Wan. Whenever you say "I have enough already", just hop off when you see a MTR station, and ride the subway to wherever you want to go next.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Just a tip about HKG-MNL-HKG: If you choose Cebu, make sure you allow enough time when flying back from MNL to catch your connecting international flight in HKG (assuming you are flying back home). Cebu does not have the best on-time record. I would choose CX for the reason of convenience and on-time performance, plus they have some cheapish tickets happening right now.

Also, when you are returning from MNL to HKG, you need to show your e-ticket to security just to enter the MNL airport, so have this printout handy.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Ibis is good value, but expect very very small rooms.
For some reason, and even though there officially is only one room type, it seems like the rooms nearer the top are both a bit more spacious and in a better state of repair.

I doubt anybody can spit from Hung Hom, Kowloon City or Kwun Tong to Mongkok. All require a bus or taxi ride of 20 minutes or more during daytime.
The bus ride from Hung Hom seemed to take less than 10 (probably about 7) minutes to Mongkok...20 mins sounds way too much, but then again I am not a local and I may have been drunk/disoriented etc.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bus ride from Hung Hom seemed to take less than 10 (probably about 7) minutes to Mongkok...20 mins sounds way too much, but then again I am not a local and I may have been drunk/disoriented etc.
What bus route did you take?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What bus route did you take?
I'm struggling to remember the number. It was one of those golden-brown doubledeckers...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm struggling to remember the number. It was one of those golden-brown doubledeckers...
I need to check later tonite, but I don't think there's a direct bus from the Hung Hom Pier bus terminus that goes over to the central part of Mongkok (i.e. around Nathan Road/Argyle Street).

There's probably a green public light bus that does.

Anyways, distance-wise, it's not far. But we know that Chatham Road/Gascoigne Road can be jammed pack for most of the day.

If I'm going from the Ibis to Mongkok, I'd take Tunnel Bus 102/112 instead of the ferry/bus transfer. There is a bus literally every other minute from King's Road. Or if I'm in a big hurry, I'd take the MTR.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 30, 2008 at 12:02 am
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: MPC
must not do: buy .... at the Temple street market.

must do: bring lots of credit cards.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: nobody
You actually cannot take a single tram to go from one end of the island to the other. Trams from Kennedy Town at the western end only goes as far east as Causeway Bay or Happy Valley, while trams from Shau Kei Wan at the eastern end only goes as far as west Western Market or Happy Valley. There is no free transfer. But all trams will pass through Causeway Bay, Wan Chai and Central (except for those going to/from Happy Valley).

For most who just want to have a taste of the tram, just ride one between Central and Causeway Bay. If one have lots of time and want to see the areas beyond, I'd suggest riding one heading east to Shau Kei Wan. Whenever you say "I have enough already", just hop off when you see a MTR station, and ride the subway to wherever you want to go next.
Technically, they still have trams that go from Kennedy Town to Shau Kei Wan. 4 times a day on weekdays only (2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon). I do agree the tunnel bus is the better way to get to Mong Kok from North Point (Btw Bus 116 won't get you anywhere near Mong Kok My grandparents live in Tsz Wan Shan so I took them all the time when I visit them.) If OP has time and they are staying in IBIS NP as suggest by others, might want to check out the local wet market in NP, great seafood restaurant there too. A day trip to Macau is good also.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Technically, they still have trams that go from Kennedy Town to Shau Kei Wan. 4 times a day on weekdays only (2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon).
Oh, really? Didn't know that. Interesting trivia.

Thanks for the correction on the bus. I should say 102/112 only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.