Advice on 1st trip to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on 1st trip to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
I stayed at the YMCA International House in Yau Ma Tei. It was very reasonably priced when I was there in 2007, very clean, and had the perfect location just across the street from the MTR and a short walk from Mongkok in a safe, relatively quiet area.

I'll second Victoria Peak; an absolutely breathtaking view of the city.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by graraps

The bus ride from Hung Hom seemed to take less than 10 (probably about 7) minutes to Mongkok...20 mins sounds way too much, but then again I am not a local and I may have been drunk/disoriented etc.
You are definately drunk, 20 min actually is consider fast for the bus ride from Hung Hom to Mong Kok, normally is 30 min, rush hour up to 45 min
Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan

If I'm going from the Ibis to Mongkok, I'd take Tunnel Bus 102/112 instead of the ferry/bus transfer. There is a bus literally every other minute from King's Road. Or if I'm in a big hurry, I'd take the MTR.
I think it is kinda hard for anyone unfamiliar with HKG to tell them to go from Ibis to the 102/112 bus stop, it is rather hard to explore in an area does not speak too much English locals. People who stayed at Ibis are mainly visitors from mainland China, so not much problems for them. MTR is much better option just down the street from the Ibis.

Oh btw, I believe the bus from Kowoloon City ferry to Mong Kok is 6F.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA,BD,VS,ANA
ever so lightly hi-jacking this thread: i'll also be spending 4 or 5 days in HKG june 2009 (1st time). Does anyone know of any good tour operators, 121 basis not mass tour, that'll do the usual tourist traps with few more of the locals sights, including trips to mainland china?
Cheers
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
So we will be stopping in HKG for a few days before heading on to MNL. First time in Asia for both of us...

Couple of questions...

1. Ideas on where (hotels and or areas of the city) to stay. We are medical students, so not looking for the cheapest rundown hostels, but need something affordable, clean and safe. I'd give a price range, but no idea what things run in HKG.

2. How many days would be a good amount of time to check out the city?

3. Any highlights or suggestions of things that are "must see/do?"

4. Which airport and airlines are the best option to fly to MNL?

Thanks a lot!
1. I usually stay at a local group called Mingle. The location on HK Island in Sheung Wan is 1/2 block from the MTR and Central is walking distance.

2. I'd budget 3-4 days for a first visit.

3. Besides the suggestions that have already been posted, I'd visit the Chi Lin Nunnery, Wong Tai Sin (Kowloon side) and the big Buddha on Lantau Island. I'd also have a bowl of won ton noodles at Tsim Chai Kee (walking distance from hotel) and some daan taat (egg tarts) at the Tai Cheong Bakery (also close by).

4. HKG = Hong Kong Airport. That's the only game in town...
Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
An update on point 4. Cebu Pacific now flies daily from HKG To CRK (Clark Field, Angeles City). If your destination is in Pampanga or on the north side of Manila then this may well be a quicker option than flying to MNL (which is on the south side of Manila, and it can take longer to get from MNL to north Manila than it took to get from HKG). These flights are also pretty cheap (currently working out at about US$100 round trip, all-in, which is about half the price of Cathay) and bookable online. Mrs christep has used them for 3 round trips since they started in November, and they have been pretty good so far (longest delay was about 20 minutes).
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abraxis

3. Besides the suggestions that have already been posted, I'd visit the Chi Lin Nunnery, Wong Tai Sin (Kowloon side) and the big Buddha on Lantau Island. I'd also have a bowl of won ton noodles at Tsim Chai Kee (walking distance from hotel) and some daan taat (egg tarts) at the Tai Cheong Bakery (also close by).
There is no need to go to specific places to have wonton noodles and egg tart in Hong Kong, if you go to some famous eateries, it would cost you more money for these non expensive snacks and taste no different than others. Many local chinese cafe serve wonton noodles, and for egg tarts, as long as it is freshly baked from the oven, it is always good at any bakery (taste better with the circular shape, not the oval shape ones) Egg tart is also one of the dum sum varieties in some local restaurants, usually served the smaller one, 3 in a plate.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate all the info.

I was thinking of Macau when asking about other airports...didn't word it correctly though.

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes - you can also fly to MNL and CRK from Macau (Philippines & Cebu Pacific to MNL, Tiger Airways to CRK). The Tiger to CRK was never cancelled when Mrs christep used it before the flight from HKG started, but it did suffer delays of an hour or two occasionally. Now that the HKG-CRK is available there's no real reason to go via Macau for her - the HKG-CRK has better timing in terms of getting a weekend over there without any weekdays off work.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Narrowed it down to 2 hotels...any thoughts on which one???

Prices are basically the same, so location would be the biggest factor. Both favorably reviewed on tripadvisor...

1. The Cityview (formerly YMCA International)
2. Metropark Kowloon (not Mongkok)

Any thoughts???
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Like I said in my earlier post, I stayed at the Cityview when it was the YMCA in June 2007 and I thought it was great for the money. Quite literally a 1-2 minute walk to the MTR, a short (10-ish minute) walk to Mongkok.

Can't comment on the Metropark.

Last edited by Tifosi; Dec 29, 2008 at 4:49 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by rkkwan
3. Other than riding the Star Ferry, there's really no "must see" or "must do" in Hong Kong. It's mostly about experiencing the city.
Whatever you do, don't miss this. It might sound a bit "hokey", but, trust me, you'll enjoy it. And don't forget your camera!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by mkenwayx
Narrowed it down to 2 hotels...any thoughts on which one???

Prices are basically the same, so location would be the biggest factor. Both favorably reviewed on tripadvisor...

1. The Cityview (formerly YMCA International)
2. Metropark Kowloon (not Mongkok)

Any thoughts???
While the two hotels are only half-a-mile apart, the Cityview has a better location. Closer to MTR, the markets in Mong Kok and more buses to get down to Tsimshatsui.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by thursday
must not do: buy .... at the Temple street market.
Not so bad, unless you think the stuff you're buying is "real". I've picked up some good cheap stuff, and easier than the trip to Shenzhen.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Whatever you do, don't miss this. It might sound a bit "hokey", but, trust me, you'll enjoy it. And don't forget your camera!
Absolutely! Best .25USD attraction in the world! Splurge...go 1st class (upstairs with A/C) for an extra .10USD ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.