Mid priced hotels and club levels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:37 pm
gre
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Clipper801
When are you going?...
1/21 - 1/28, and it turns out the Chinese New Year starts 1/26.

Am I lucky to find any decent deal on any room? Should I not expect any deals to open up closer to departure? Should I expect a big crowd and thus look for an out of the way place like the Metropark Causeway Bay or the Courtyard (and conversely, avoid a place like the Langham Place, Mira, or lkf)?
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by gre
1/21 - 1/28, and it turns out the Chinese New Year starts 1/26.

Am I lucky to find any decent deal on any room? Should I not expect any deals to open up closer to departure? Should I expect a big crowd and thus look for an out of the way place like the Metropark Causeway Bay or the Courtyard (and conversely, avoid a place like the Langham Place, Mira, or lkf)?
Chinese New Year is quiet in Hong Kong, and hotel rates are low because there's no business travelers coming to the city. Metropark is definitely NOT out of the way, because the largest "flower market" is at Victoria Park. The market runs nightly up to New Year's Eve.

On the night of the 1/27, there will be large scale fireworks over the harbor. If you get a harborview room at the Metropark, you can see it from your room.

Most hotels in Hong Kong don't publish the good rates until 1-2 months out. You can wait a few more weeks before booking.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:42 pm

If you think Metropark Causeway Bay is "out of the way", may be you'd want to consider the Le Meridien Cyberport to see which one is more "out of the way".
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I think the Meridien is out of the OP's stated budget.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:43 am
gre
Original Poster

If you think Metropark Causeway Bay is "out of the way", may be you'd want to consider the Le Meridien Cyberport to see which one is more "out of the way".
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I think the Meridien is out of the OP's stated budget.
While the Le Merid Cyberport can often be had within my pricerange, I assume what Clipper801 is telling me is that the Metropark Causeway Bay is not exactly out in the Hong Kong equivalent of the boonies.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:31 pm

Metropark Causeway Bay is about 5~7 minutes' walk to the Tin Hau MTR station at a leisurely pace.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:51 am
gre
Original Poster

Metropark Causeway Bay is about 5~7 minutes' walk to the Tin Hau MTR station at a leisurely pace.
And that's where we'll stay if the price comes down a bit.

Otherwise I think we'll just do a Harborview room at the CY Marriott for about $1000 HKD.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:02 am
gre
Original Poster

UPDATE

I just wanted to put in a good word for the Metropark Causeway Bay Executive Parlour rooms.

Huge room, descent amenities and harbor view, great breakfast, open bar (although not a great selection) with hor'derves at cocktail hour, OK location, airbus stop straight back to the airport ... all in all a nice deal for just over $200 US/night.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by gre
I just wanted to put in a good word for the Metropark Causeway Bay Executive Parlour rooms.

Huge room, descent amenities and harbor view, great breakfast, open bar (although not a great selection) with hor'derves at cocktail hour, OK location, airbus stop straight back to the airport ... all in all a nice deal for just over $200 US/night.
Good to hear you enjoyed it, and I concur wholeheartedly. In my wide-ranging HK experience (i.e. one visit ) I stayed in a Parlour (at the 7 night long stay rate) and was pretty impressed.

Interesting to read in another post that the breakfast downstairs was better - I never bothered to go down to check, just stuck with what was served in the lounge - that, and the red wine served in the lounge, would have been my only two disappointments with the hotel, and of coure they are only very minor).

Planning a return visit and will be looking to stay at Metropark Causeway Bay again.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by gre

I am glad that my suggestion has not disappointed you.

Yes, the breakfast selections are better at the coffee shop downstairs than at the lounge.

I am going again in May and I shall be staying at the MPCB Parlour room.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:17 am
gre
Original Poster

I am glad that my suggestion has not disappointed you.
Thanks again.

We ate breakfast in the lounge twice and then switched to the restaurant. After that I had bacon, eggs, and noodles every morning.

I'm a little amused at myself for thinking that the hotel was "out of the way". It just goes to show how little one can tell from guidebooks and maps.

I was a bit disappointed that every every one of the recommended restaurants that I tried to get into for dinner was overflowing, maybe due to the new year's holiday?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by gre
I'm a little amused at myself for thinking that the hotel was "out of the way". It just goes to show how little one can tell from guidebooks and maps.

I was a bit disappointed that every every one of the recommended restaurants that I tried to get into for dinner was overflowing, maybe due to the new year's holiday?
Well, Hong Kong is a pretty small place, so things are different scale. For people who like me who grows up there, the Metropark is in Tin Hau, not Causeway Bay.

As for restaurants, actually it's normal for the good and popular restaurants to be always packed. Locals like to eat where other locals do. Waiting in line for a restaurant meal is the norm. And with the rent the owners had been paying, they need the places to be packed all the time to thrive. If they're not, they don't last long. [Hotel restaurants excepted, as they exist for different reasons.]
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:18 am
gre
Original Poster

OK, it may be OT but here's an amusing confession.

After enjoying the open bar at cocktail hour the second night we were there we were pretty much wiped out at 7:30 (alcohol + 13 hour time difference) when it closed. Mrs. gre did not want to go out to dinner so I said I'd go over to McD's and get some burgers.

I placed my order and the kid behind the counter said, "50 dollars please."

I half-screamed, "50 bucks for McDs food!?," then through the fog in my brain realized that it was only about $6 US wherein I sheepishly paid, said thank you very much, and retreated quickly.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by gre
OK, it may be OT but here's an amusing confession.

After enjoying the open bar at cocktail hour the second night we were there we were pretty much wiped out at 7:30 (alcohol + 13 hour time difference) when it closed. Mrs. gre did not want to go out to dinner so I said I'd go over to McD's and get some burgers.

I placed my order and the kid behind the counter said, "50 dollars please."

I half-screamed, "50 bucks for McDs food!?," then through the fog in my brain realized that it was only about $6 US wherein I sheepishly paid, said thank you very much, and retreated quickly.
I also like to drop by McDonald’s when I travel to check out the variation in menu items in different countries to put the Economist’s Big Mac index to the test.

The hamburgers sold in Beijing China are spicy hot and at one time, McDonald’s sold pizza, yes, McPizza for those who remember in Canada. In HK, one can get a taro pie and fresh corn cup both of which cannot get in North America. I think that they have stopped selling soup. It’s been a while since I was in one. In France, you can get crepes.
:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.