Search

Mid priced hotels and club levels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:07 am
gre
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Mid priced hotels and club levels?

There are threads on cheap hotels, and threads on luxury hotels, but what about something for us guys in the nicer middle?

It'll be my first time spending a week in January. 200 or so USD/night is OK; I've searched and researched, and what I'm now thinking is maybe downgrade the hotel and upgrade to the club level.

Maybe some place like the Metropark (a little over 2 bills/night, harborview, executive parlour). Seems like I can get a huge room with a view and breakfast (which is about the best deal I can find). Right now I have a reservation at the Courtyard (harborview room) but I'm willing to spend more if it's worth it.

I don't mind being a bit out of the happening spots if what I read is true that cabs are plentiful and dirt cheap (I'm assuming that's maybe 40 HKD or less to get to public transportation).

Suggestions?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:32 am

I have stayed at the Metropark Causeway Bay a few times and I was very happy with the room and services. I always stayed in a Parlour room. This hotel is located at the eastern fringe of Causeway Bay in a predominantly residential neighbourhood but access to public transporation is excellent. The A11 airport bus has a stop almost directly outside the hotel's main entrance when going to the airport. (The hotel is on a one-way street.) This hotel is a good choice IMHO. If you're staying for seven consecutive nights, there is a long staying package. Contact the hotel directly.

You may also want to check out the newly renovated "The Mira" (www.themirahotel.com), formerly the Miramar. A good mid-range hotel in Tsimshatsui.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I love Langham Place in Mongkok. http://hongkong.langhamplacehotels.com/en/
Regular rooms about US$190. Club floor ~US$280. There are a few threads about this hotel. It's above a shopping center (what isn't in HKG?) and access to subway in basement. Ideal.

In HK, you don't really need to stay in club level. Plenty of food options around.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:11 pm
gre
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I have stayed at the Metropark Causeway Bay a few times and I was very happy with the room and services... If you're staying for seven consecutive nights, there is a long staying package...
You may also want to check out the newly renovated "The Mira"...
The parlour rooms are advertised at 42 sq. meters, about twice the size of a normal room (which is partially what attracted me).

Checked the Mira website and the rooms start at 2000 HKD which seems a bit steep for a basic nonview room (though they looked nice).

Originally Posted by adamak
I love Langham Place in Mongkok....
Also #1 with TripAdvisor. If I found nothing more attractive I was considering 3 nights there and 4 nights at the Courtyard.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Somewhat cheaper with smaller rooms is the Hotel L'hotel on the main road.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:03 pm

L'Hotel is in the same vicinity of Metropark Causeway Bay. It's newer.

Yes, the Parlour room is very big. That's one thing that I really like about it. It's almost like a small studio apartment minus the kitchenette. If you stay in the Parlour room, you will also have access to the Panorama lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks.

You may also want to consider the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel near the Star Ferry on Kowloon side. The renovated rooms at the Park Hotel, near Tsimshatsui East are also not bad. Other mid range hotels that you may want to check out includes the Royal Garden and New World Renaissance, both in TST East and the YMCA Salisbury and the other Langham, both in TST main.

I agree that the Mira is somewhat overpriced.

Last edited by Clipper801; Oct 9, 2008 at 1:10 pm
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You may also want to check out the newly renovated "The Mira" (www.themirahotel.com), formerly the Miramar. A good mid-range hotel in Tsimshatsui.
This will date me but there was an older version of the Miramar on Nathan Road way back (where there were fields of grass along the drag!)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This will date me but there was an older version of the Miramar on Nathan Road way back (where there were fields of grass along the drag!)
Miramar changed the name to the Mira recently. The hotel is said to be completely renovated. One good thing about staying at one of the older built hotels is the size of a standard room being about 1.5X the newer ones.

The British army barrack across Nathan Road from Miramar on the west side is now a park. Further to the north, the St. Andrew's Church is still there but not sure about the foot path up the hill to where the Royal Observatory weather station is located.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH-FTL, BRgold, EKsilver, FB silver, IHG-RA
Metro Park

Off again to Metro Park C'way Bay next week. Tried many other hotels before, but Metro Park does the job for me.
Convenient location, Great view (from high floor parlour rooms) (better views than L'Hôtel mentioned in this thread and just round the corner), Lots of daylight in parlour rooms (twice the amount of glass of the standard rooms),
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:43 pm
gre
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jolou
Off again to Metro Park C'way Bay next week...
So what extra amenities does a parlour room get, that is, what extra is offered on the club (Panorama?) lounge. Breakfast? Afternoon/evening cocktails?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: LH-FTL, BRgold, EKsilver, FB silver, IHG-RA
Originally Posted by gre
So what extra amenities does a parlour room get, that is, what extra is offered on the club (Panorama?) lounge. Breakfast? Afternoon/evening cocktails?
Here's my amended post. Hope this answers your question. And yes, they call the exec lounge The Panorama.
Off again to Metro Park C'way Bay next week. Tried many other HK hotels before, but Metro Park's does the job for me. I did exactly what gre said when he started this thread: downgrade the hotel and upgrade to the club level.

+Convenient location, HK Tram + Tin Hau MTR station round the corner, just one stop to C'way Bay (vacant taxi's are hard to find during the morning rush hour)
+Good sized Parlour Room (go for the Parlour Rooms rather than the Suites)
+Wide open view on city, park and harbour (great from high floor parlour rooms, stunning from rooftop pool) (view from L'Hôtel mentioned in this thread and just round the corner, is obstructed by nearby buildings),
+Lots of daylight in parlour rooms (twice the amount of glass of the standard rooms).
+Quiet rooms (not many rooms per floor. I may have been lucky but I have hardly ever had any noise from the corridor, yet spend here abt 20 nights thoughout the year)
+Free wired broadband (and wireless in the club lounge)
+Breakfast: decent buffet in the restaurant (included).
+Club Floor Lounge: Somewhat limited breakfast choice yet private atmosphere (and if you really want your bacon&eggs, they'll have them brought up from the restaurant); Evening cocktails; Reading materials; Computer/printer; Dedicated desk for check-in/out.
+Pleasant club floor staff, good service
+in short, good price/quality ratio for club floor rooms (higher price and often fully booked during major trade show periods)

-Hotel food so so
-Noisy karaoke in the bar.
-just 3 elevators. Not enough on rush hour when hotel is fully booked.
-Limited restaurant options nearby. But Causeway Bay and beyond has plenty and is a pleasant 10 minutes walk through Victoria Park if you decide to walk.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:53 pm

What about :

http://www.hotel-lkf.com.hk/

Its a good hotel if you want to party, as its right next to SOHO and LKF.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Why not look at: www.asiatravel.com/hongkong.html
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:07 am
gre
Original Poster

.. If you're staying for seven consecutive nights, there is a long staying package. Contact the hotel directly...
Interestingly, I contacted the hotel and they offered me a higher rate than available on the website with no discount for 7 days.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by gre
Interestingly, I contacted the hotel and they offered me a higher rate than available on the website with no discount for 7 days.
When are you going? The hotel web site only listed the rates for the 7-days long stay package to the end of November 2008. If you are travelling before November 30, 2008 and you're quoted a rate higher than the rate posted on the hotel's Internet web site, I'd revert to the hotel to ask if there has been a mistake. October is a "bad" month because of trade show activities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.