Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disneyland Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Disneyland Hotel

I'm planning to visiting Hong Kong Disneyland on a vacation trip to Hong Kong next month and was wondering if the Disneyland Hotel (the more expensive of the two hotels on property) was worth my money. I commonly stay at luxury hotels in the city like the Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental but thought that staying on-site might not be so bad either.

For those that have stayed here, how was it? The rates are pretty fair, around $300/night for the standard rooms. And it looks like a beautiful hotel overall, though it is a Disney hotel. I'm not expecting 5-star quality, but I don't want to be disappointed either. The dining options in the hotel are few and likely very average (being Disney and all ), but I'm going to be dining in the city anyways so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
I'm planning to visiting Hong Kong Disneyland on a vacation trip to Hong Kong next month and was wondering if the Disneyland Hotel (the more expensive of the two hotels on property) was worth my money. I commonly stay at luxury hotels in the city like the Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental but thought that staying on-site might not be so bad either.

For those that have stayed here, how was it? The rates are pretty fair, around $300/night for the standard rooms. And it looks like a beautiful hotel overall, though it is a Disney hotel. I'm not expecting 5-star quality, but I don't want to be disappointed either. The dining options in the hotel are few and likely very average (being Disney and all ), but I'm going to be dining in the city anyways so that shouldn't be a problem.
I wouldn't bother. You can be done with Disney in an afternoon (a full day if you stretch your pace), and it is very easy to get to from the city. I don't even know why they built that thing in the first place (the hotel, although the same can be said for the park).
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:47 am
Suspended

DON"T.

Seriously. Disney HKG sucks. I LOVE Disney and was at the Orlando one only 4months ago, but the HKG one is crap. It's designed for mainland Chinese that will never see the real thing.

GO for the day, see for yourself, but do not in anyway plan a multiday journey.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As Pickles said. There's absolutely no way you'll want to be at Disneyland more than one full day (and probably a lot less). Get a decent hotel in town.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thanks for the helpful advice. So would the general agreement be that the hotel is NOT worth checking out? I know the park is pathetically small, but I'm a hotel nut who enjoys trying new experiences. Is the Disneyland Hotel really such a step down from the hotels in the city? It's marketed as a luxury hotel, but I have my doubts about that claim.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What it is is that you can also get a descent hotel in town where you are in better proximity to being able to do more things (i.e. shopping, eating, sightseeing, etc) than just Disney. And even when you are staying at a hotel in town as oppose to the one at the theme park resort, the theme park itself is not painfully far away (easily accessible by the MTR).

I would not suggest staying at the Disney hotel unless you are coming to HK only to visit that theme park. Even that I would find to be a waste of money/mileage/time just to get a plane ticket and travel solely to visit Disney especially if you're coming from NA or Europe. So for those with multiple plans/activities (including those with an included itinerary to Disneyland) with a few days in the SAR, getting a hotel in town is a much better option.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
What it is is that you can also get a descent hotel in town where you are in better proximity to being able to do more things (i.e. shopping, eating, sightseeing, etc) than just Disney. And even when you are staying at a hotel in town as oppose to the one at the theme park resort, the theme park itself is not painfully far away (easily accessible by the MTR).

I would not suggest staying at the Disney hotel unless you are coming to HK only to visit that theme park. Even that I would find to be a waste of money/mileage/time just to get a plane ticket and travel solely to visit Disney especially if you're coming from NA or Europe. So for those with multiple plans/activities (including those with an included itinerary to Disneyland) with a few days in the SAR, getting a hotel in town is a much better option.
This is not my first time in Hong Kong, so I'm not particularly fussy about seeing everything in the city. I certainly agree that the city is far more entertaining and that staying there would give you access to far more activities. However, how would you rate the Disneyland Hotel itself (barring its connection with the mediocre resort)? Like I mentioned above, I like to sample different hotels, and this one looks rather pleasant I must say. Don't worry, I'm not planning to stay more than one night. I just wanted a little taste and was wondering how it compared with the top luxury hotels in Hong Kong. Thank you all for the advice though. I really appreciate it.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS
Disneyland HK was fun, though I agree 1 day is probably enough. The best hotel (of the several) is worth checking out though, if only for Disney/Mickey themed EVERYTHING from the cute do not disturb/make up room sign to the bathroom. All the spaces was beautiful (or at least they were 3 years ago) and the seasonal Christmas decorations were wonderful. I'd say it's worth a night, and if you have kids they will love it.

In comparison to HK hotels (I've stayed at MO, FS, the Pen, and Conrad), not quite a 5* but very close. Remember this is still HK, so the service is better than almost any American hotel anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ace26
Disneyland HK was fun, though I agree 1 day is probably enough. The best hotel (of the several) is worth checking out though, if only for Disney/Mickey themed EVERYTHING from the cute do not disturb/make up room sign to the bathroom. All the spaces was beautiful (or at least they were 3 years ago) and the seasonal Christmas decorations were wonderful. I'd say it's worth a night, and if you have kids they will love it.

In comparison to HK hotels (I've stayed at MO, FS, the Pen, and Conrad), not quite a 5* but very close. Remember this is still HK, so the service is better than almost any American hotel anyway.
Thank you. This was the information I needed. I've been told to skip the flagship restaurant (Crystal Lotus) at the hotel because it's expensive and not worth it considering the vast selection of excellent Cantonese restaurants in the city.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:59 am

Thank you. This was the information I needed. I've been told to skip the flagship restaurant (Crystal Lotus) at the hotel because it's expensive and not worth it considering the vast selection of excellent Cantonese restaurants in the city.
Yeah, definitely overpriced. Breakfast at the other place is good though.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ace26
Yeah, definitely overpriced. Breakfast at the other place is good though.
Thanks. Did you try the Crystal Lotus? I don't plan to dine there, but is the food of good quality, or is it very standard fare?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:57 pm

Thanks. Did you try the Crystal Lotus? I don't plan to dine there, but is the food of good quality, or is it very standard fare?
Again, it's not bad at all, it's just a bit too expensive for what you get. It's HK and for that money you could do better.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I know there are a plethora of better Cantonese restaurants in the city, and I would only dine at the Crystal Lotus as a last resort (and only if I was staying at the hotel).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.