Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel stay for one week

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hotel stay for one week

hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before ive checked out the search but couldnt find what im looking for. It will be our 1st trip to Hong Kong and im looking for a hotel + or - for 100 USD a night. we wil be coming end of august to Hk. Id defintly like something near the ferry or mass transit area. I dont really know the difference between kowloon or the other places so sorry if im naive. We want to go to disneyland, take those buses or tours and just go around the city.The only hotel i have found was the rosedale on the park. is this a good hotel? i guess its to much to ask in my price range for a hotel with a nice view, well if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. thank you
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
For US$100 per night you're not looking at the top flight hotels. Rosedale on the Park is in Causeway Bay (on Hong Kong Island) which is a good location for shopping, next to the tram line, many bus routes, and a couple of minutes walk from the MTR (which is how you get to Disneyland), so it's easy to get anywhere from there. They must have some rooms with a view across Victoria Park, but you wouldn't get the harbour views that you would at, say, the Peninsula, Sheraton or Intercontinental.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
the Kowloon hotel should be around $110 USD. Its in TST and right next to an MTR station.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

These happen to be two hotels ive looked at, what the main differnce in the area between the two? also how much would taking the subway/ train around hong kong (to and from disney land, to the peak) etc cost?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
We stayed at Metropark Causeway Bay and found it very pleasant. Standard rooms on a 7 night 'long stay' deal (thru hotel website) for August are ~USD815 so pretty near your requested price range (our stay was in Exec Parlour/Suite, which is quoted at ~USD1400 for the 7 nights, so my judgment is based on that room rather than Standard). There is a 'harbour-view' room priced between those two. But you do have to stay the 7 nights - they get you to sign a contract of sorts, which suggests if you do a runner after 6 nights they can charge you at standard rates for the entire stay...something like that (I didn't study it too hard). It is near trams, buses and MTR (<10 mins to Central)

I can't tell you exact prices but transport is very cheap (even cabs, though there is little need for you to use them). Get each of yourselves an Octopus Card. It is a 'proximity' card that can be used on all public transport except taxis. (ie. Buses, minibuses - there are green and red minibuses, and one type should be avoided but I can't recall which - MTR trains, airport express train, ferries, trams) and can be used to purchase items from a range of shops including 7-elevens and others. Can be purchased at the airport (and lots of other places) and can be recharged if needed at heaps of places. You can get a total refund of any unused portion when leaving HK (there might be a very small admin fee). Maybe put HKD400 on each card for your stay - you can top up or be refunded unused portion if necessary - (airport express return fare is around HKD200, though you may be able to get a discount 'tourist' card - not really sure of all the options).

At the airport, in the 'centre' of the arrivals hall (near the sign that says "This way to trains" or similar), there is a desk which sells Octopus Cards (it may be a general info desk as well - not sure). When we were there the queue was very long so we followed the trains sign and turned left at the platform - there was another desk selling them but with a very short queue - saved some time.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

i have defintly like the metropark causeway but im a little worried about the size. can anyone recomend a hotel like this but with bigger rooms or is this the normal size of hotel rooms?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You aren't going to get big rooms in Hong Kong for US$100 I'm afraid - space is money here. But the good news is that there is so mch to do around town you'll really only need to go there to shower and sleep.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
www.asiatravel.com usually has a pretty comprehensive list of hotels in HKG with prices.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by bundi404
hey everyone, sorry if this has been asked before ive checked out the search but couldnt find what im looking for. It will be our 1st trip to Hong Kong and im looking for a hotel + or - for 100 USD a night. we wil be coming end of august to Hk. Id defintly like something near the ferry or mass transit area. I dont really know the difference between kowloon or the other places so sorry if im naive. We want to go to disneyland, take those buses or tours and just go around the city.The only hotel i have found was the rosedale on the park. is this a good hotel? i guess its to much to ask in my price range for a hotel with a nice view, well if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. thank you
bundi, I PMed you a link you can try. Don't want to advertise for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.