Reload this Page >

luxury food recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

luxury food recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I'm looking for some good Thai or Indian Restaraunts to try while i'm back in HKG for my second time....
For Thai - try Chili Club (in Wanchai, I believe) - it isn't a hole in the wall, but it's not particularly expensive either.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: MPC
I've been there before...

The stuff there is great. food wise.. but im talking more like 4 star or 5 star dining
Good stuff.

Gaylord, Ashley Road. Don't let the name put you off. Hope you can stand the live Indian band.

Viceroy, Wanchai. Dancing in the evenings too.

Thai: Kowloon City.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Fook Lam Moon was mentioned. I say avoid Fook Lam Moon. Many years ago it was excellent. When we visited a couple of years ago it was outrageously expensive, the restaurant was empty and the food was, at best, mediocre.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've been there before...

The stuff there is great. food wise.. but im talking more like 4 star or 5 star dining
4-5 star Indian food in HK is as rare as a pink porpoise off Lantau. However, you can get arse-kicking Indian food if you're willing to brave the netherworlds of Mumbai-in-Kowloon. My two favorites are the Woodlands and the Branto Pure Vegetarian, both in Kowloon.

There is also Veda in the Island, which is more 4-5 star-ish, but I've never been impressed with the place. The food, the service, and everything about the place can be hit-or-miss and it definitely isn't worth the prices they charge. They also sometimes get too precious moving into the nouveau when it isn't called for.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:54 am

Veda is... no more.

Shame. While I agree that they were overpriced and precious for a la carte, they did an excellent value buffet at weekends
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by splatnz
Personal favourite for dinner if you don't visit HK that often is dinner at Felix at the Peninsula. Great location if you ask for a table on the harbour side to watch the fireworks. The bathroom is pretty good too
Agree 100% with this. Come early and have a drink or two @ the bar (for both the views, and in order that you will use the bathroom...though it isn't as 'unique' as it used to be).

Nobu @ the IC is good, also. Not as good as the original, but very worth it if you're staying in Kowloon.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
couple newer places are cool too
press room
and
pawn shop
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by arthur -- flyer wanna be
couple newer places are cool too
press room
and
pawn shop
Funny that both these places belong to the same group. The Pawn is quite an interesting venue, but service and food is a bit mediocre.

Press Room was great but has gone downhill a bit since opening. Service is good most of the time but food is quite passable now.

Nevertheless, both of them hardly qualify as luxury experiences.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Perhaps for the avoidance of doubt people could define what they mean by "luxury"? I'm getting the impression that for most people posting here it requires "5* hotel levels of obsequiousness" and a price that most people would consider a monthly apartment rental.

For me it is solely dependant on the quality of the food, provided that the service is competent and the environment comfortable.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:50 am

Programs: MPC
ok luxury food:

abalone
wagyu beef
Champagne
lobster
oysters

dunno, lots more......

if I ate these everyday, it would lose appeal and it would not be luxury food anymore.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by thursday
ok luxury food:
abalone
wagyu beef
Champagne
lobster
oysters

Add beluga, Alba truffle, and foie gras to the list please. LOL
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some
Has anyone eaten lunch at Kee Club?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
Has anyone eaten lunch at Kee Club?
Didn't try their Dim Sum lunch, but their dinner was quite disappointing. I mean it wasn't too bad, but molecular cuisine is so wide spread now, and their dishes did not impress me at all. My be I expected too much.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fliar
I'm staying at the Peninsula and was wondering whether a meal at Gaddi's would be memorable? Caprice? Others? (I'm not too keen on Robuchon as I've eaten at his place in Tokyo too often - I used to live around the corner).

I would also love a good recommendation for great Cantonese food - One Harbour Road, Lei Garden?
Gaddi's is an outstanding restaurant. Gorgeous decor and exquisite food. Very highly recommended. Even to this day, Gaddi's is still my favorite French restaurant in Asia. The overall experience is beyond comparison.

As for Cantonese restaurants, I see Man Wah has already been suggested. I second that, as I've had very memorable meals there. Since you're staying at the Peninsula, I also recommend Spring Moon. I've had nothing but excellent meals (dinner only, never tried their dim sum) there. Spring Moon is on par with Man Wah in my experience, though it doesn't seem to get as much hype. Spring Moon is more expensive, but my best meal there was better than my best meal at Man Wah. Yan Toh Heen is also very good, though I prefer the atmosphere at Man Wah and Spring Moon. Service can also be a bit slippy compared to the consistent and world-class service at Man Wah and especially Spring Moon.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: some
I ended up eating at Felix one night (had booked for Gaddi's but my dinner partner cancelled and I have to admit I found the prices at Gaddi's very steep, so missed out on that). Felix: great decor, food acceptable, certainly not spectacular.

I went to Man Wah the following day and had quite a pleasant meal. Service was good (in a Chinese sort of way, certainly not on par with a top, say, French restaurant, although they did their best). Cocktails sounded better on the menu than they tasted. The decor is a bit Chinese-stuffy to my taste, although it's a lighter version of the traditional scheme. Most importantly, the food - it was good, althoug none of the dishes (save perhaps for the beef brisket and tofu, the first dish) was really exceptional. Perhaps Chinese restaurant dining is just not for me. I had the same feeling after eating at Yan Toh Heen. Nonetheless, it was a nice experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.