luxury food recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

luxury food recommendations

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 6:25 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Have not been. Apparently a lot of (at least Zagat) others have been to it and ranked it first. Zagat review comments:

"Everything from the menu is well executed" at this Chinese housed in the Four Seasons hotel in Central (voted Hong Kong's No. 1 for Food), where "innovative", "top-notch" Cantonese cuisine and an "excellent selection" of "scrumptious" dim sum are paired with an eclectic, China-centric wine list, while "amazing views of the harbour" serve as a backdrop to the "pretty", contemporary room accented with silver and glass; it's "expensive", but the consensus is that the experience is "worth it."

Get you there my friend!

And I'm going to stop posting these quotes to avoid being sued by Zagat.

Edit: Also would be nice if I posted a review for the right restaurant, which I just did.

Originally Posted by Fliar
Have you been to Lung King Heen? Do you (and others) think it is that good?

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; May 23, 2008 at 8:08 pm
Old May 25, 2008, 8:20 pm

Thank you Chapel Hill Guy, for taking the time to write that up - very timely indeed!

I have been to Yan Toh Heen (and liked it) so would like to try a different Chinese restaurant this time. Have you been to Lung King Heen? Do you (and others) think it is that good?

Interesting that Pierre is not even in this list. Having read more rather negative reviews I am seriously considering cancelling my reservation and changing it to something else.

Lung King Heen's food quality was uneven and left something to be desired right after the grand opening a couple of years ago, but I think they have stabilized since.

As for Pierre, I was quite satisfied with their food and they served three different (and interesting) kinds of desserts per each dessert set ordered. We ordered three dessert sets and in total there were nine different kinds of desserts, which is Gagnaire style as usual.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:38 am

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by christep
Mrs C does so we'd been thinking about going there (20% off this month with HSBC Premier card). What are the prices like for the oysters?
Cool 20% off ! great. Didn't see that premier promo.

They go from $40 to $120 each for oysters, the abalone, depending on size of course go from $600.

Last time I saved room for an M12 wagyu ribeye. Not next time. I will make it my mission to try every one on the bar.
Old May 26, 2008, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Ah, OK - more than a bit pricey then - most of the oyster places around seem to be in the $25-$40/piece range, albeit often only with a selection of 3 or 4 types. Cafe Deco though claims $17-$48 per piece (http://www.cafedeco.com/cafed/v_deco_menu.asp) and they have quite a good range, and a view.

The Premier Promo is that the Sheraton is hotel of the month, so there are different offers at the various outlets.
Old May 26, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some
Okay, I now have to choose between 3 for anniversary night:

1) keep my reservation at Pierre
2) change it to Man Wah (and see fireworks)
3) go to Lung King Heen

What'd you say?
Old May 26, 2008, 6:25 pm

3) go to Lung King Heen

What'd you say?
Absolutely Man Wah. I should have mentioned that friends I know from Hong Kong all consider it the best Chinese restaurant in the city. I was personally amazed, as I've mentioned; the service was also great. I've tried most of the menu (I was there several times) and didn't have any dish I didn't think was incredible. FYI, it's a really tiny place (maybe 40-50 seats) ensuring that it is very private (and also has nice views).

I've mentioned my opinions on Pierre. It's a beautiful place, but overall disappointing (I've never seen such mechanical service). The only plus was the wine list, which is quite good for Hong Kong. However, they'll serve the same wine list (with the same sommelier) at Man Wah.

I haven't been to Lung King Heen, but I think people on the forum (check the luxury hotels forum as I believe that's where I've seen it) found it a bit inconsistent. Man Wah is definitely a safer bet.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:11 pm

3) go to Lung King Heen

What'd you say?
I would definitely choose Man Wah over Lung King Heen. Man Wah has better food and better views (a bit more expensive than Lung King Heen too). If you really wanna try Lung King Heen too, and if you don't have enough time to try them all during your stay in Hong Kong, then you could have dinner at Man Wah and try Chinese traditional breakfast at Lung King Heen for HK$270 per person w/ Dimsum, Congee, etc, served from 7:00AM till 10:00AM.

As for Pierre, I think it is equally good as Man Wah IMHO.
Old May 27, 2008, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Excellent tips - thank you all!
Old May 27, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Your timing is impeccable.

I received in the mail today my Zagat Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Beijing restaurants and hotels guide (I'm a reviewer, so I get free copies).

Top food in Hong Kong in order (with points on 30-pt. scale):

Lung King Heen, Chinese, 28
Sushi Hiro, Japanese, 28
Gaddi's, French, 27
Petrus, French, 27
L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, French, 27
Fook Lam Moon, Chinese, 26
Morton's, Steak, 26
Nadaman, Japanese, 26
Da Domenico, Italian, 26
Yan Toh Heen, Chinese, 26
Man Wah, Chinese, 26
Spring Moon, Chinese, 26
Mandarin Grill, Eclectic, 25
Caprice, French, 25
1 Harbour Road, Chinese, 25
Nobu, Japanese, 25
Steak House, Steak, 25
Gaia Ristorante, Italian, 25
Dim Sum, Chinese, 25
Inagiku, Japanese, 25

Other tops (top 3 of each):

Top decor:

Hutong
Felix
China

Top service:

Gaddi's
Yan Toh Heen
Petrus

I've eaten at and would recommend Gaddi's, Petrus, Yan Toh Heen, Felix, and Man Wah (although CHGal didn't particularly care for this last one). I also love the decor at Hutong and think the food is pretty good as well.

Enjoy. Hong Kong is a fabulous dining city.

Sorry, but Zagat's is written by American tourists for American tourists so not quite sure of the relevance of you posting it verbatim here. Surely the OP is actually looking for some personal input here?
Old May 28, 2008, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
not quite sure of the relevance of you posting it verbatim here.
Or of you reposting the entire thing!
Old May 28, 2008, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Sorry, but Zagat's is written by American tourists for American tourists so not quite sure of the relevance of you posting it verbatim here. Surely the OP is actually looking for some personal input here?
Actually, I am grateful for his posting the list.
Old May 28, 2008, 6:28 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Sorry, but at least I offered some data (which the OP appreciated), instead of a smug expat dismissal. If you have nothing to offer, why post?

Old May 30, 2008, 1:36 am

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Any tips on great Indian or Thai Restaraunts?

I'm looking for some good Thai or Indian Restaraunts to try while i'm back in HKG for my second time....
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:35 am

Programs: MPC
Are you willing to brave Chungking Mansions?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
I've been there before...

The stuff there is great. food wise.. but im talking more like 4 star or 5 star dining

Originally Posted by thursday
Are you willing to brave Chungking Mansions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.