Search

One meal in Hong Kong - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
One meal in Hong Kong - any thoughts?

Ok, looking for suggestions as to where to have one evening meal in HK. Scheduling means we (wife & I) just have time for one meal (dinner), so i'd like some recommendations...

Location - Kowloon side would be best, as we're staying at the IC
Cuisine - Western or Chinese (prob. Cantonese)
View - not important, as we've got a harbour view room at the IC (Thanks Doppy)
Ambiance - something that will be OK for a party of 2, as I appreciate there's a trend for dining out en masse in China.

Additional point - this is going to be on a Friday night, so do I need to book in advance?

Many thanks in advance

Tony
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You really won't find better food anywhere in TST than at the IC (ex-Regent, presuming you are staying at the real IC and not the ersatz Grand one). I walk there from the Pen to eat at Yu (it is that good!) and the chinese restaurant at the IC (Yan Toh Heen) is supposed to be one of the best in the world. Spoons (the Ducasse operation) has had mixed reviews and I've stayed away (I love Ducasse in NYC dearly and didn't want to be disappointed, plus I don't see the point in eating fine French food in Hong Kond). Lots of cheaper places (but not that much cheaper), but in terms of food quality, ambiance and service you won't find better anywhere in Hong Kong. The IC was offering great rates that included a huge food credit, which were almost enough to tempt me to stay there (never did though, the Pen is too good, I just eat there).
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To keep things simple for you, your best bet for a Cantonese dinner would be Maxims. They have numerous branches throughout the Kln side. There are just too many Cantonese to list.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by rejunivated
To keep things simple for you, your best bet for a Cantonese dinner would be Maxims. They have numerous branches throughout the Kln side. There are just too many Cantonese to list.
Maxims is good, but not special. I second the recommendations of the restaurants at the IC, except Spoon, which I found intensely disappointing. Spring Moon at the Pen is also pretty good. If you are looking for a fry-your-mind view with pretty good food (not Spring Moon level, but quite good), Hutong at One Peking is worth a try.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:21 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I would also highly recommend Yu in the IC. We had a fabulous dinner there.

I know you said view was not important, but Felix at the top of the Pen can be an interesting experience (gotta check out the men's room) and the food was pretty good. Gaddi's at the Pen for French is also very good, as is Margaux at Kowloon Shangri-La. Petrus at Island Shangri-La is even better. (Can you guess I like French food? ) I was disappointed with Vong. Man Wah in Mandarin Hotel had excellent Cantonese. These last three are in Central though.

There are so many good places to eat in HKG. Gotta start planning my next trip!

Oh, yes, I would definitely book in advance.

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; Jan 26, 2005 at 7:24 am
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:53 am

As others have mentioned - Yan Toh Heen in IC - Had dinner on Saturday. If you want to walk a bit Cross the road to Sheraton, go to Celestial Court - a bit more excercise go to Silver Moon at the Peninsula or Tang Court at Langham Hotel on Peking Rd.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I was disappointed with Vong.
Vong is OK, nice view, and the bar is pretty good. However, if you can arrange the kitchen dinner, the menu is different and is very well thought out. The stuff you can eat there is not available on the regular menu, and it is very good.

Also, the kitchen is an eerie experience, because it is very quiet in there, and everybody is just quietly working, not bumping into each other. Not what you'd expect from a kitchen in a HK restaurant.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
Well for a bar/ lounge in Kowloon, I will highly suggest Sky Lounge at the Sheraton Hotel and Tower. It is located on the 17th floor, and has great view towards Victoria Harbor and Central. The price is relatively resonable too. If you are not a guest at the Sheraton, there will be a minimum charge of HKD 118.00 ~ USD 15.00 per head after 8pm.

The Oyster bar is just next to the sky lounge, but I personally prefer the seating at the lounge because the view is better.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA Plat, too many hotels
on the Hong Kong side...

Yes, I realize the OP is asking about the Kowloon side as a preference. However, if they aren't already planning to take a ride on the Star Ferry to the Hong Kong side, I want to throw it out there as an option.

The ride on the Star Ferry is considered by many to be a really neat thing to do. Its inexpensive, easy and enjoyable and the brief ride offers great views in both directions.

So...if you want to take the Star Ferry ride anyway, you might consider dinner at ToTT....I ate there last year based on recommendations from another talk board.

You could take the Star Ferry from TST to the Wan Chai Ferry Pier on the Hong Kong side and easily walk or take a quick cab ride to the Excelsior (ToTT's is on the 34th floor).

Yes, you would want to make reservations....

Cuisine is Asian / fusion and then some, and the menu is quite suitable for dinner for two. Location is on the Hong Kong side, view from a window table is decent (34th floor looking back to the Kowloon side), ambiance....hmm, think zebra stripes and red velvet, but as scary as that sounds, its tastefully done.

If you'd like more on the restaurant, mine is the third post in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316568

and here is the web link for Tott's:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/517000040.asp

Regardless of where you have dinner, have a wonderful time in one of my favorite cities!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, TG S, NW S
Any recommendations for a great FRENCH restaurants in HKG? YU is on my list, but I need one Western style restaurant to go to.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyHummingbird
Any recommendations for a great FRENCH restaurants in HKG? YU is on my list, but I need one Western style restaurant to go to.
Geez, did you even read this thread?

See my post, #5. Gaddi's, Margaux, and Petrus are all French. Petrus is best (food and view), but also very pricey. Others I mention are also good and won't disappoint. Enjoy!

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; Jan 30, 2005 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 31, 2005, 7:16 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyHummingbird
Yu is substantially western style. It is fusion but mostly international seafood (literally true, the fish are flown in live from all over the world!). There is reasonably good French food in Hong Kong, but it is not the strong point (you will find better in NYC for the same price!). The previous post had excellent recommendations, but again I disagree with the concept of eating fine French food in Hong Kong, given how good and unique the alternatives are!
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the dress code at these restaurants?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Doppy
Most men wear jacket and tie but it is not required. I've never worn a tie and half the time don't have a jacket and did not feel unwelcome. Jeans would probably be a problem and T-shirt is likely to get you banned. Most are formal fancy restaurants and some guests are there for a special occasion "meal of a lifetime", particularly at Gaddi's. You can wear a tux to any of these and not feel out of place. For Felix women cannot have too much glitter, that seems to be de rigeur there (again not a dress code, but natural selection, and it is more bar than restaurant).
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Agree with number_6 except I don't think of Felix as more of a bar than a restaurant. Vong is that; very noisy.

Smart casual, with or without a jacket, will be just fine.

Geez, as I posted earlier, gotta start planning my next trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.