Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

HKG overnight layover, 24 hr lounge option? (OW Emerald/ Amex Plat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:04 pm
koi
Original Poster

I have an overnight layover in HKG, and I'm really hoping not to have to spend $ on a hotel room. I'm wondering if I could just stay in a lounge and take a nap on a lounge sofa or bench seat. I did a similar thing in SIN in their Singapore airline lounge, was hoping to do the same.
Does anyone have any experience doing a similar thing in HKG? If so, which lounge would you recommend or allows for this?
I have OW Emerald and Amex Plat if that matters...
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:38 pm

here ya go
access with your Platinum card
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by koi
I have an overnight layover in HKG, and I'm really hoping not to have to spend $ on a hotel room. I'm wondering if I could just stay in a lounge and take a nap on a lounge sofa or bench seat. I did a similar thing in SIN in their Singapore airline lounge, was hoping to do the same.
Does anyone have any experience doing a similar thing in HKG? If so, which lounge would you recommend or allows for this?
I have OW Emerald and Amex Plat if that matters...
Originally Posted by Cryofern
here ya go
access with your Platinum card
A long time ago (maybe 2017?) I did the same. Stayed in the CX lounge until close then went to plaza premium. There were quite a few others that also slept in the lounge. I didn’t see any obvious sleeping choices like benches but they do have some armchairs which I combined with my carry on luggage into kind of a bed. Lights were bright and they vacuumed at night, but I guess it didn’t really matter because sleep quality was already poor. You’ll survive but I wouldn’t do it again. Unless of course they ask stupid prices at the airport hotels, in which case sign me up.
If I had to do it again, I would likely just give up on the idea of sleeping all together, get myself a strong cup of coffee and catch up on some work.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for asking this. I may have a 23hr layover in oneworld J, considering just staying at the airport and lounges. Haven't been to my beloved CX lounges in a while. Been to HK many times and love it, but getting lazy.

Does anyone know, for a 23hr CX-CX connection (land at 5pm, leave 4pm next day), when is the earliest I'd be able to check in after landing in HKG? I wonder if they'll check the bag thru, or I need to recheck it at HKG.

Also, seems like there's no landside lounge at all now?

If I do leave the airport, Lantau island seems not far. Is it still easy to get there by public transit? Assume HKG still has luggage storage.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by italdesign
T

If I do leave the airport, Lantau island seems not far. Is it still easy to get there by public transit? Assume HKG still has luggage storage.
Take the S buses to go to Lantau Island. See CityBus webpage: https://www.bravobus.com.hk/routes/a...px?intLangID=1

See also the bus stop location map: https://www.hongkongairport.com/iwov...cation_map.jpg
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:46 pm

Does anyone know, for a 23hr CX-CX connection (land at 5pm, leave 4pm next day), when is the earliest I'd be able to check in after landing in HKG? I wonder if they'll check the bag thru, or I need to recheck it at HKG.
Ah, if I recall, check in is 48 hours, or 24, at the very least. When in J/F, I think they'll check in your bags early or able to interline it, but I'm not sure. I used to do this all the time when I have those early morning flights (I generally try to avoid them, but sometimes it's a necessary evil) and just head into HKG after dinner the night before. While entering security, my BP would get flagged, but those manning security would always just override it to allow me entry no questions asked. I must have done this at least 10 times.

I basically just stayed in the Pier F's day suites, then headed to one of those 24 hour PP lounges. Then, at around 4 am, headed back towards a CX lounge for some coffee and maybe breakfast before my flight. I find this preferable over leaving HK at 5 am to make a 7 am flight.
italdesign likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, if I recall, check in is 48 hours, or 24, at the very least. When in J/F, I think they'll check in your bags early or able to interline it, but I'm not sure. I used to do this all the time when I have those early morning flights (I generally try to avoid them, but sometimes it's a necessary evil) and just head into HKG after dinner the night before. While entering security, my BP would get flagged, but those manning security would always just override it to allow me entry no questions asked. I must have done this at least 10 times.

I basically just stayed in the Pier F's day suites, then headed to one of those 24 hour PP lounges. Then, at around 4 am, headed back towards a CX lounge for some coffee and maybe breakfast before my flight. I find this preferable over leaving HK at 5 am to make a 7 am flight.
Nice. If they check my bags thru at the departure airport, I'll just spend the 23 hours airside in HKG. I would only exit security if I had to pick up and recheck bags in HKG. You think it's 50/50 as to whether they will check it thru with a 23hr layover?

If I do need to pick up and recheck, you think I have a good chance of being let into security right away, around T-22hr? This requires BP and getting bags tagged. I expect I'll get the BP at the previous departure airport, but not sure if they'll let me check bag for a flight in 23 hours.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 6:27 pm

Nice. If they check my bags thru at the departure airport, I'll just spend the 23 hours airside in HKG. I would only exit security if I had to pick up and recheck bags in HKG. You think it's 50/50 as to whether they will check it thru with a 23hr layover?
I'm assuming they will, if requested. But, you never know with these things.

If I do need to pick up and recheck, you think I have a good chance of being let into security right away, around T-22hr? This requires BP and getting bags tagged. I expect I'll get the BP at the previous departure airport, but not sure if they'll let me check bag for a flight in 23 hours.
Generally, I've always been able to have my mobile BP, but in HKG unlike outstations, there's CX staff from early mornings to late evenings. And, in my experience, they'll print out BPs and check in luggage at T-24 for pax traveling in F & J. And, I've never had HK security refuse or question why I'm entering the airport the evening before a morning departure.
italdesign likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 2:24 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by Visconti

Is CX more generous than official OW rules?
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
"Access is available on the day of travel (or before 06:00am the following day)"
So for a 7am flight, OW rules will say no access the night before?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Is CX more generous than official OW rules?
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges
"Access is available on the day of travel (or before 06:00am the following day)"
So for a 7am flight, OW rules will say no access the night before?
In my experience, when flying CX F (I'm sure I've done this flying J too), I've always been allowed access into any of their HKG lounges the night before a morning flight. As I've said, even HKG security has always allowed entry, no questions asked. While I haven't done this post pandemic, I'd have zero hesitation to and would expect it would be the same now.

PS - I've even brought a guest in there with me a few times in the above scenario.
csycsycsy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Freddorick
A long time ago (maybe 2017?) I did the same. Stayed in the CX lounge until close then went to plaza premium. There were quite a few others that also slept in the lounge. I didn’t see any obvious sleeping choices like benches but they do have some armchairs which I combined with my carry on luggage into kind of a bed. Lights were bright and they vacuumed at night, but I guess it didn’t really matter because sleep quality was already poor. You’ll survive but I wouldn’t do it again. Unless of course they ask stupid prices at the airport hotels, in which case sign me up.
If I had to do it again, I would likely just give up on the idea of sleeping all together, get myself a strong cup of coffee and catch up on some work.
I basically have the same problem this upcoming weekend, United changed a 4 hour connection in HKG to a 16 hour one (by cancelling US 877 and putting me on 869).

Difference is I have a 85k Marriott FNC to throw at this problem and Titanium status that will expire at year’s end, so no lounge hobo time for me, it’s off to the Ritz Carlton on top of Kowloon Station. Besides I should stay up for a few hours to help adjust to Asia, maybe some roast goose and a trip to Lan Kwai Fong or somewhere in Kowloon will help with that.

I’ve always found something reasonable in city as long as I set my expectations appropriately for inexpensive cash hotels… small rooms and all. It’s always struck me as weird to pay extra for J or F award seats and then be uncomfortable in a lounge with a makeshift sleeping arrangement when a decent hotel price for bed+shower is usually far more reasonable than the mileage upcharge from Y to J/F, but it take all types I guess.
Freddorick and italdesign like this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 5:58 pm

Post-trip DP. Ended up taking the flight with 15hr layover. Bags checked all the way. Transfer went smoothly with next-morning BP. No problem getting into Pier J the afternoon before. Lounge closed at 1:30am. Slept for a bit on a nearby bench, came back after opening at 5:30am. Did not try the overnight Plaza Premium - has bad rating saying long line, no beds, etc.

There is a good # of beds in Pier J - maybe 20. They are very comfy for upright sitting but not as much for flat sleeping. No pillows in lounge - I used a blanket as pillow. MH KUL lounge has better beds for sleeping.

Maxing lounge use helped justify the J award cost on this intra-Asia flight.
goodgirl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.