FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG overnight layover, 24 hr lounge option? (OW Emerald/ Amex Plat)
Old Apr 6, 2023, 5:22 pm
italdesign

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, if I recall, check in is 48 hours, or 24, at the very least. When in J/F, I think they'll check in your bags early or able to interline it, but I'm not sure. I used to do this all the time when I have those early morning flights (I generally try to avoid them, but sometimes it's a necessary evil) and just head into HKG after dinner the night before. While entering security, my BP would get flagged, but those manning security would always just override it to allow me entry no questions asked. I must have done this at least 10 times.

I basically just stayed in the Pier F's day suites, then headed to one of those 24 hour PP lounges. Then, at around 4 am, headed back towards a CX lounge for some coffee and maybe breakfast before my flight. I find this preferable over leaving HK at 5 am to make a 7 am flight.
Nice. If they check my bags thru at the departure airport, I'll just spend the 23 hours airside in HKG. I would only exit security if I had to pick up and recheck bags in HKG. You think it's 50/50 as to whether they will check it thru with a 23hr layover?

If I do need to pick up and recheck, you think I have a good chance of being let into security right away, around T-22hr? This requires BP and getting bags tagged. I expect I'll get the BP at the previous departure airport, but not sure if they'll let me check bag for a flight in 23 hours.