Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong bans all flights from U.S. and seven other countries as omicron spreads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong bans all flights from U.S. and seven other countries as omicron spreads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
US-Singapore-HK possible? [to Hong Kong and Macau forum]

Asking for a friend: Hongkongers living in the US looking for urgent return to HK. Currently need to be out of the US for 14 days before being eligible to enter HK, so they need to “cool off” in a place accepting visitors and not on HK’s ban list and of course having passenger flights to HKG. Is Singapore a possible stop? I know Europe is another possibility (not UK or France) but of course Singapore is easier logistically. Did I overlook anything?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:54 am

The ban on flights and people from the US, UK etc will continue until at least April 20.

Last edited by 889; Feb 22, 2022 at 5:08 am
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by 889
The ban on flights and people from the US, UK etc will continue until at least April 20.
as if that's going to make any difference to cases in hong kong.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by 889
****! I can't find the announcement. Is this published somewhere?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:11 am

She announced it in her press conference today, Tuesday. It's in the lead story on SCMP.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Asking for a friend: Hongkongers living in the US looking for urgent return to HK. Currently need to be out of the US for 14 days before being eligible to enter HK, so they need to “cool off” in a place accepting visitors and not on HK’s ban list and of course having passenger flights to HKG. Is Singapore a possible stop? I know Europe is another possibility (not UK or France) but of course Singapore is easier logistically. Did I overlook anything?
Mainland China is also a possibility if you’re willing to cool off in a quarantine hotel.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Flights from Singapore to Hong Kong are being banned, try somewhere else. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34010915-post31.html
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
Flights from Singapore to Hong Kong are being banned, try somewhere else. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34010915-post31.html
Isn't that irrelevant? Each ban is 2 weeks. Minimum stay outside of US is 2 weeks.

It seems to me SIN is an easier staging area to find a way to HKG (direct or through another country [just not the Philippines] than Europe.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 5:56 pm

The US ban was supposed to be temporary until 18 February and is extended until at least 20 April. I’d pick a country without a current ban but do whatever you want
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Mainland China is also a possibility if you’re willing to cool off in a quarantine hotel.
Indeed, and if you quarantine in Guangdong then travel to HK is still quarantine-free.

The Guangdong restriction only applies to non-HK residents. HK residents can quarantine anywhere in China (other than those that happen to be blacklisted at the moment due to outbreaks) and enter HK quarantine-free.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 12:21 am

I don’t know why y’all are suggesting mainland China?

According to the document I linked above even if you do the quarantine in mainland China you still need to do 7 days quarantine and 7 days health monitoring in HK if vaccinated (row 2: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/c...ellers_ENG.pdf)

Might as well wash out somewhere without quarantine at all
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gudugan
I don’t know why y’all are suggesting mainland China?

According to the document I linked above even if you do the quarantine in mainland China you still need to do 7 days quarantine and 7 days health monitoring in HK if vaccinated (row 2: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/c...ellers_ENG.pdf)

Might as well wash out somewhere without quarantine at all
I think there is a return to HK scheme for HK residents that allows quarantine free entry from the mainland.

Anyway, if you want to get to HK from one of the banned countries, going via the mainland is certainly a way to do it. I’d rather quarantine in Shanghai at a decent hotel than in Penny Bay.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 3:15 am

Hong Kong residents -- with or without HRPs -- cannot enter the Mainland from Hong Kong. How do they enter from overseas, particularly if they don't have a HRP and need a visa?
gudugan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
Hong Kong residents -- with or without HRPs -- cannot enter the Mainland from Hong Kong. How do they enter from overseas, particularly if they don't have a HRP and need a visa?
Really? But, Beijing has been making a huge deal about HK being part of China recently. I'm still waiting on that promised travel bubble though.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Anyway, if you want to get to HK from one of the banned countries, going via the mainland is certainly a way to do it. I’d rather quarantine in Shanghai at a decent hotel than in Penny Bay.
From the US as an example, it is not really possible to "score" a ticket to Mainland China as a first step, beside the cost, and freedom of movement beyond a hotel room. That's why I asked about Singapore and certain European countries--places that accept US "tourists" without quarantine and with flights (albeit uncertain) to HK. A month of hotel waiting for flights is still cheaper than flying to Mainland China.
gudugan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.