Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong bans all flights from U.S. and seven other countries as omicron spreads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong bans all flights from U.S. and seven other countries as omicron spreads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...g-flight-bans/

Hong Kong officials on Wednesday implemented the city’s strictest restrictions since the coronavirus was first detected here two years ago, including banning all passenger flights from eight countries, as it holds firm to a “zero-covid” policy amid a growing outbreak of the omicron variant.

In announcing the new measures, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam described them as more “decisive and comprehensive” than any other restrictions the city has seen over the past two years. Passenger flights from the eight countries — the United States, Britain, Australia, Canada, France, India, Pakistan and the Philippines — had to be suspended, Lam said, because of a “drastic” increase in imported coronavirus cases.
Fortress Hong Kong...
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:51 am

Has anyone kept track whether "two weeks" has ever lasted just two weeks?
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The current ban of arrivals:

"January 8 to February 18: Australia, Canada, France, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States of America"

Has anyone heard anything if this will expire or they plan to extend?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The current ban of arrivals:

"January 8 to February 18: Australia, Canada, France, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States of America"

Has anyone heard anything if this will expire or they plan to extend?
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...nada-1.5777276

Hong Kong on Friday extended a ban on incoming flights from eight countries, including the United States and Britain, and imposed one on Nepal until March 4, with the government citing concerns over a growing COVID-19 outbreak.

The other countries are Australia, Canada, France, India, Pakistan and Philippines.
Found it for ya!
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:45 am

Ban is clearly effective since record cases now in hong kong. /s. Poor vaccine rates will be a major problem.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Transit is also banned from all non high risk places until 15 March 2022: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...formation.html

I assume non high risk is just Mainland China, Taiwan, and Macau right now.
Group A (which is high risk) is all other countries in the world.

Last edited by gudugan; Feb 12, 2022 at 12:40 pm Reason: clarified high risk
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:36 am

I am monitoring the flight to HKG from United States because I have a relative who is injured in HK. Seemingly overnight, the round trip tickets (non-direct, via Japan or Korea) jumped from US$1000 to $6000. The ticket for going to HK in Feb just jumped 5x. Are there suddenly so many people wanting to travel to HK while it is battling Omicron? Could someone help explain this madness?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:54 am

Economics says that if supply drops the price increases (without respect to demand)
joesk and Kongduino like this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by kash
I am monitoring the flight to HKG from United States because I have a relative who is injured in HK. Seemingly overnight, the round trip tickets (non-direct, via Japan or Korea) jumped from US$1000 to $6000. The ticket for going to HK in Feb just jumped 5x. Are there suddenly so many people wanting to travel to HK while it is battling Omicron? Could someone help explain this madness?
In the last year any country that significantly increased their travel restrictions also saw a significant increase in airfares.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gudugan
Transit is also banned from all non high risk places until 15 March 2022: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...formation.html

I assume high risk means Group A, which I think is just Mainland China, Taiwan, and Macau right now.
I'm sure most people caught this, but just to make sure there's no confusion:

From midnight on 16 February until 11.59pm on 15 March 2022, transfer and transit services at Hong Kong International Airport will continue to be limited to passengers coming from non high risk places.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:20 pm

It's not just a ban on flights but a ban on anyone who's been in the US, UK etc within the past 14 days, no matter how they get to Hong Kong.
moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 12:38 pm

Here's a summarizing document: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/c...ellers_ENG.pdf

If you have stayed in any of these places for more than 2 hours in the past 14 days you are banned: Australia, Canada, France, India, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States of America
You need to go to another country and sit there for 14 days first. This is known as a "washout". Flights are also banned from these countries to Hong Kong.
Then, assuming there are flights available, you can fly into Hong Kong and quarantine for 14 days in a hotel and do 7 days of self monitoring.

The transit part is separate and is only useful if you are in China or Taiwan and want a cheaper flight to your destination in another country.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 2:12 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
This has been the only active thread for the past few days. When I've passed by the Asia section of FT and seen the truncated title, I keep thinking that the HK govt has finally decided to shut down from everywhere completely

gudugan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
Here's a summarizing document: https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/c...ellers_ENG.pdf

If you have stayed in any of these places for more than 2 hours in the past 14 days you are banned: Australia, Canada, France, India, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States of America
You need to go to another country and sit there for 14 days first. This is known as a "washout". Flights are also banned from these countries to Hong Kong.
Then, assuming there are flights available, you can fly into Hong Kong and quarantine for 14 days in a hotel and do 7 days of self monitoring.
Did I misinterpret it? I am in the US but I am also HK resident. So in order to return to HK, I need go to another country for 14 days and then travel to HK and quarantine for another 14 days?
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by kash
Did I misinterpret it? I am in the US but I am also HK resident. So in order to return to HK, I need go to another country for 14 days and then travel to HK and quarantine for another 14 days?
Yes, that is correct*. Google "Hong Kong washout" for some details on people doing the same.

* Whether the policy is fair or not is a bit off topic
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.