Wiki Posts
Search

New National Security Law---concerns transiting in HK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Following on from this ... I'm a pro-democracy activist that regularly takes part in protests etc. Should I be concerned about visiting Hong Kong on holiday?
Yes (can be prosecuted for crimes committed abroad)
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:02 pm

I'm not saying for certain it happens, but if you're involved in Hong Kong-related protests overseas, your working assumption should be that faces are somehow being collected and identified if they can. (There are some extremely powerful facial recognition systems out there that sweep the Web for a match.)

Doesn't mean any action will necessarily be taken if you visit HK, but that you have been marked.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Following on from this ... I'm a pro-democracy activist that regularly takes part in protests etc. Should I be concerned about visiting Hong Kong on holiday?
Not only Hong Kong, but any part of PRC-controlled areas, and any of the 13 countries with extradition agreements with Hong Kong, and possibly about 50 countries with agreements with China, minus those which declared HK-related charges null and void. Depending on your nationality, extradition may never happen, but you may be detained for who knows how long depending on the bureaucratic situation in each of those countries (especially if you're found to be on the Interpol list in a small town instead of at the border). For example, I've ruled out vacationing in Mexico myself.

After the boat of 12 illegally exited HK intending to seek refuge in TW was intercepted in international waters in the 12-24 nautical mile contiguous zone and taken to Shenzhen (but broke no obvious PRC law) and so far not transferred to HK authorities, you can assume the PRC will take any infraction of HK law into its own hand.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The short answer is no, as soon as you don't do anything that endanger China's national security.

In other word, if you are in a protest that urge Carrie Lam to resign, that should be fine, providing that there is no other applicable law prohibiting that.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:37 pm

And if you're in a protest that urges Somebody Else to resign?

Why beat around the bush. If you engage in any political activities that aren't pro-Government, you are now at risk. Just like the Mainland.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 12:37 am

If you were ever involved in a protest against the PRC and/or Hong Kong government, and your face was fully visible at any point during the protest, I would avoid traveling to or transiting in any place under the control of the PRC, including Hong Kong.

As has been mentioned, facial recognition software has become incredibly powerful, and the safe assumption with any protest is someone was recording it.
dulcamara and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
After the boat of 12 illegally exited HK intending to seek refuge in TW was intercepted in international waters in the 12-24 nautical mile contiguous zone and taken to Shenzhen (but broke no obvious PRC law) and so far not transferred to HK authorities, you can assume the PRC will take any infraction of HK law into its own hand.
Let's fix your statement.
After the boat of 12 PEOPLE SKIPPING BAIL illegally exited HK (you wrote this yourself, but it's a major point in this) intending to seek refuge in TW was intercepted in POSSIBLY international waters in the 12-24 nautical mile contiguous zone and taken to Shenzhen (but broke no obvious PRC law) -- OF COURSE THEY BROKE THE LAW, THEY ALREADY HAVE RIOTING CHARGES OUTSTANDING, AND WERE SKIPPING BAIL -- and so far not transferred to HK authorities, you can assume the PRC will take any infraction of HK law into its own hand.

They ILLEGALLY EXITED HONG KONG. BOOM. CRIME RIGHT THERE.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by aethelwulf
Let's fix your statement.
After the boat of 12 PEOPLE SKIPPING BAIL illegally exited HK (you wrote this yourself, but it's a major point in this) intending to seek refuge in TW was intercepted in POSSIBLY international waters in the 12-24 nautical mile contiguous zone and taken to Shenzhen (but broke no obvious PRC law) -- OF COURSE THEY BROKE THE LAW, THEY ALREADY HAVE RIOTING CHARGES OUTSTANDING, AND WERE SKIPPING BAIL -- and so far not transferred to HK authorities, you can assume the PRC will take any infraction of HK law into its own hand.

They ILLEGALLY EXITED HONG KONG. BOOM. CRIME RIGHT THERE.
Yes HkCaGu is mistaken. Because the exit was legal. Said so by the former Secretary for Security herself https://hongkongfp.com/2016/02/02/ex...ays-regina-ip/
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: CX Gold
Here in the Philippines, it was in the news a few years ago, that the US consulate may require visa applicants to present their social media accounts.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boybi
Here in the Philippines, it was in the news a few years ago, that the US consulate may require visa applicants to present their social media accounts.
Yet, Pinoys are still one of the largest groups seeking visas...things have to be quite bad in other countries to want to come to the US.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by boybi
Actually, the State Department has made this "question" permanent for everyone for both non-immigrant and immigrant visas.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, the State Department has made this "question" permanent for everyone for both non-immigrant and immigrant visas.
I use my Wechat account to trash the US, and use my Facebook to trash China.

Both accounts are on two separate phones, tho like symbols of Scotland, the China phone only goes into China.
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:18 am

The US apparently only requires SM IDs for certain specified sites, so FB but not FT.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Yet, Pinoys are still one of the largest groups seeking visas...things have to be quite bad in other countries to want to come to the US.
For most pinoys, the US is still the land of opportunity. With so many friends and relatives living in the US, they have places to stay and eat for free while looking for jobs.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
I use my Wechat account to trash the US, and use my Facebook to trash China.

Both accounts are on two separate phones, tho like symbols of Scotland, the China phone only goes into China.
Typical HKer.
I have three handsets activated as I need two separate Google accounts for HK and Canada on top of the China e-comm/SM account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.