Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

New National Security Law---concerns transiting in HK

Old Jul 2, 20, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP

Any Canadians or people from US concerned about transiting in HK and getting detain for no good reason?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/07/...-security-law/

https://www.theepochtimes.com/increa...g_3410442.html

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canadian-g...023701350.html

Looks like i won't be travelling to HK ever...I might have to change my Cathay Pacific Visa card to another type of travel card...

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited by eagle215; Jul 2, 20 at 10:00 pm Reason: add info
Old Jul 3, 20, 7:17 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by eagle215 View Post
Any Canadians or people from US concerned about transiting in HK and getting detain for no good reason?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/07/...-security-law/

https://www.theepochtimes.com/increa...g_3410442.html

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canadian-g...023701350.html

Looks like i won't be travelling to HK ever...I might have to change my Cathay Pacific Visa card to another type of travel card...

Thoughts? Comments?
Having lived in China, my answer is a firm "no." I'm also not a politician or journalist, so that helps...
eagle215 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat

Thoughts? Comments?
Ummm... that seems a tad melodramatic...

Regards
Cryofern and Need like this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Ummm... that seems a tad melodramatic...

Regards
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/19/chin...espionage.html

I'd rather be safe than sorry.... Also don't want my tourist dollars going to a country that does this either.
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Thoughts? Comments?
Nothing to concern. Simply treat yourself as in Mainland China instead of Hong Kong, and you will be fine.

Canadian is another story.
Old Jul 3, 20, 3:42 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Would you be worried about being detained for no reason if you were transiting through PVG?
If not, then I don't think you'd have anything to worry about HKG either.
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Would you be worried about being detained for no reason if you were transiting through PVG?
Yes China transits are a concern and this law now makes HKG just part of China in this regard. This was my main transit point in Asia, it will not be any longer.
eagle215 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Up until 1500 UTC on 2020-06-30, China did not have any laws against foreigners doing things outside China. Now it does.

For now, your name (and API) supposedly is not transmitted to HK immigration in advance and a transit doesn't really involve such transmission either. However, there's nothing preventing such a mechanism to be secretly inaugurated, at least for CX/KA. And your social media can probably be somewhat monitored, if you're already on the list.
eagle215 likes this.

Last edited by HkCaGu; Jul 3, 20 at 9:07 pm Reason: clarified API and immigration
Old Jul 3, 20, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Such a shame. HK used to be such a great place. Iíll likely be rerouting any area connections through SIN now to avoid the communists.
eagle215 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn View Post
Yes China transits are a concern and this law now makes HKG just part of China in this regard. This was my main transit point in Asia, it will not be any longer.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
Up until 1500 UTC on 2020-06-30, China did not have any laws against foreigners doing things outside China. Now it does.

For now, your name (and API) supposedly is not transmitted to HK immigration in advance and a transit doesn't really involve such transmission either. However, there's nothing preventing such a mechanism to be secretly inaugurated, at least for CX/KA. And your social media can probably be somewhat monitored, if you're already on the list.
Okay point well taken.
In that case, I guess I will worry about transiting through China for that reason with the worry now extended to HKG.
eagle215 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:16 am

My friend in HKG said that it's primarily the young Hong Kongers who're against the recent developments, while many older people have felt kinship to China all along and are at most ambivalent about it.
Is this true?
Old Jul 4, 20, 8:35 am
Original Poster

I will never set foot in mainland, so the answer is yes.
Old Jul 4, 20, 10:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
I don't want to go into Omni/PR territory here.
But your country executed a warrant on a transiting passenger (Meng Wanzhou) in YVR based on a previously undisclosed extradition request from a third nation (United States) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meng_Wanzhou#Detention.

While I have every confidence the Canadian legal system will treat Meng fairly.
Why cannot the Central People's Government execute arrest warrants in HKG for a breach of its own national law for which (it self-declared) extradition is allowed?

I don't think they will be detaining tourists en masse or without cause.
But after Meng, before you board a flight thru HKG, you have to think whether you have done anything that may have breached the National Security Law. And that can be quite broad - CNN discussed the possibility here https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/03/a...hnk/index.html

Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Xiao_Zhen

Well that wasn't a foreigner, that was one of their own having committed a crime outside China.
But if they will try their own citizens for murder overseas, why wouldn't they execute a extradition warrant for someone transitting PVG/PEK on behalf of some country for which they have a valid, reciprocating extradition treaty with?

i.e. if Xiao Zhen was a US Citizen, PRC will hand him back over to New Zealand had he transitted a PRC airport.
Old Jul 4, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My friend in HKG said that it's primarily the young Hong Kongers who're against the recent developments, while many older people have felt kinship to China all along and are at most ambivalent about it.
Is this true?
Not necessary. Age may look like a factor to determine which side you are on, it is not.

In the recent development, simply there are too many interests involved. To name a few, you have people who rely the Mainland China to make a livelihood (i.e Serve the RMB (CNY)). You also have people who chase for stability. You have people who escaped from Communist's ruling. You also have people embracing new lives in Hong Kong.
evergrn likes this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would guess that if Snowden would be doing an escape now from the US, HKG would not be the choice to transit or buy time.
eagle215 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: