Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Turkish to Qantas MCT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Transfer Turkish to Qantas MCT

Hi,
I am looking at a booking to get me in J class from Istanbul to Brisbane via Hong Kong . ( Sadly, CX does not fly to IST).
They will be on separate tickets.
The booking engine shows a legal connecting time of 90 minutes but I am wondering other travellers experience of this .
I am concerned that exiting the plane , going thru immigration , collecting bags and re checking in and going thru immigration again may be getting close to 90 minutes.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:46 pm

You know that "until further notice" airside transit is not possible at HKG?

And non-HK residents, with limited exceptions, cannot pass immigration.

And if you do hold a HK ID card and pass immigration, you'll be subject to 14-days of home quarantine before you can leave, by rules currently set to expire mid-June.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
You know that "until further notice" airside transit is not possible at HKG?

And non-HK residents, with limited exceptions, cannot pass immigration.

And if you do hold a HK ID card and pass immigration, you'll be subject to 14-days of home quarantine before you can leave, by rules currently set to expire mid-June.
Thank you for that - date of travel is March 2021 - surely this will all be over then?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
I am looking at a booking to get me in J class from Istanbul to Brisbane via Hong Kong . ( Sadly, CX does not fly to IST).
They will be on separate tickets.
The booking engine shows a legal connecting time of 90 minutes but I am wondering other travellers experience of this .
I am concerned that exiting the plane , going thru immigration , collecting bags and re checking in and going thru immigration again may be getting close to 90 minutes.
Minimum connection times do not apply to separate tickets:- not relevant. Just the end of one flight and the start of another, that happens to be at the same airport.
The second flight will have a close off XX minutes before departure. So you will not have 90 minutes. May be 30-45-?? effective minutes between scheduled arrival & check-in close off.
With separate tickets I would be allowing a lot more than 90 minutes: several hours at least?. Even a 15 minute delay would put the second flight at great risk with 90 minutes between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:51 pm

It may not be absolutely utterly impossible to do that within 90 minutes if all the cards happened to fall your way but it is for all practical purposes not going to work.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the good advice.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Asking the obvious
QF definitely will not check through baggage on two separate tickets (the known revenue+award exception does not apply)

But what about TK on the IST end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.