Search

Hotels eligble as home quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Just emailed them - see if they will reply
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

So it looks like the Hotel Alva by Royal said they are not accepting guests who need to self qurantine so looks like that list maybe BS. If I do not have a hotel to quarantine lined up when I arrive, would the immigration arrange one for me or will I need to goto the qurantine center? I am just unsure as the address will be blank on the landing card if I cannot find a hotel that accepts qurantines
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:20 pm

No, the address will not be blank: you must fill it in. And as mentioned, the Health Declaration also requires your address in Hong Kong. To show up without knowing where you plan to stay is just asking for trouble. Finding a place to stay is your responsibility, not the Government's. It's just that they have the power to over-ride your choice and put you elsewhere.

Do you have a Hong Kong mobile number? The Health Declaration also asks for a phone number, and if you're going to home quarantine they need to be able to contact you.

The more I think about this the more I think it's probably a really bad idea for you to head to Hong Kong next week. Add in that you're actually coming to look for work: Immigration certainly frowns on that, not to say it's never been done before. But it's another factor against you.

Nobody wants to see you in a bad situation when you arrive next week.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Acecobra1

I called a friend at HKIS, she has a few emblems on her shoulder:

If a hotel is put in as a residence address, you will be asked for your permanent address. You will need a HK mobile number. Trying to enter with a UK passport without any legal status will adds to problems you can get into like a denied entry and a return to origin order.
She said it might be ok if this was 23 or more years ago.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:56 pm

"She said it might be ok if this was 23 or more years ago."

Or three weeks ago.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
"She said it might be ok if this was 23 or more years ago."

Or three weeks ago.
We were referring to the UK passport
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 3:39 am

Note that new cases are really starting to spike in Hong Kong, with a record 48 today, Friday. Common sense says that if this grows worse, there's a reasonable chance Hong Kong will follow other parts of the world and institute some sort of general stay-home order for everybody.

Again, this is one more reason for you to reconsider your plans.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Acecobra1

I called a friend at HKIS, she has a few emblems on her shoulder:

If a hotel is put in as a residence address, you will be asked for your permanent address. You will need a HK mobile number. Trying to enter with a UK passport without any legal status will adds to problems you can get into like a denied entry and a return to origin order.
She said it might be ok if this was 23 or more years ago.
Thanks for the information. I just had a hotel replying saying they are prepared to accept guests for qurantine purposes - so will have that as a proof. I will likely be booking another hotel for about a month after the qurantine period finishes in the original hotel (so I guess I can present that as another "proof"?)

I only have a UK mobile number - any ideas why they need a HK number ?

My "permanent address" will be a UK address if they need it. My mum and gf stays in HK but I can't use thier address for obvious reasons lol.

I normally come to HK 2 - 3 sometimes 4x a year and never had any issues. If I have all the above, would it still likely cause any problems? I don't quite understand as I would have proof of "address" being the hotel and of course, if the need to ensure I am able to support myself during the stay, I would assume they can just have a look at my bank details etc. ?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:25 am
Original Poster

I also found this
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
Note that new cases are really starting to spike in Hong Kong, with a record 48 today, Friday. Common sense says that if this grows worse, there's a reasonable chance Hong Kong will follow other parts of the world and institute some sort of general stay-home order for everybody.

Again, this is one more reason for you to reconsider your plans.
Yeah, to be honest, with the amount of daily cases arriving in HK, I would be supprised if they do not ban incoming passangers in the next 2 weeks. I just hope they will not do it before then!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:52 am

You need a HK mobile number because they will call you daily. They're easy to get of course, but not sure it's possible before you hit the health check desk.

You seem to have ties to Hong Kong, and there's no reason to be coy about them. If your mother is in Hong Kong it's perfectly understandable you'd want to be in the city, too, at this time, given that older people are at greater risk. If asked, just be open about your personal situation. You could in theory serve home quarantine with your mother or your girlfriend but you don't want to risk exposing them so you're quarantining yourself in a hotel. Again, that's perfectly understandable.

EDIT: Bear in mind that two separate bureaucracies are involved: CHP which administers the quarantine and Immigration which formally admits you to the territory. You deal with them separately, and deal with CHP first. The practices of Immigration are well-known. CHP is a new player and how they deal with issues -- flexibly or rigidly, say -- isn't really known at this stage. Again, we just have to wait.

ADD: With more flight cancellations being announced -- CX plans to run just 4 percent of its regular schedule while other airlines are cutting service entirely -- all this talk of who should be let into Hong Kong and how effectively the quarantine is working may very quickly become academic. The city won't be closed off from the world by Government fiat but by the commercial decisions of air carriers.

And given what is happening in London and New York and California and no doubt elsewhere, I think it's prudent to prepare for some sort of general restriction on outside activities in Hong Kong, bearing in mind that these announcements always seem to take effect pretty suddenly.
lsquare and AceCobra1 like this.

Last edited by 889; Mar 20, 2020 at 1:58 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Base on further facts that you shared, I would just use visit mom as the reason to come to HK, full-stop.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The OP may want to review his Singapore transit:
https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...covid-19-cases
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I didn't notice this thread until now. Keeping on top of my Whatsapps/Telegrams/Wechats/Skypes is quite enough.

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
I am a bit tight for time as I am supposed to arrive on Thursday - assuming my flight doesn't get cancelled again! - I am transiting via Singapore this time so the situation is really everchangable!
I suppose you know that's shot cos SG (and TW) no longer allowing transit.

I want people like you to come. We might draft you in as a medic if it comes to it. Just very difficult to travel right now with countries (even SG) infecting each other with travel restrictions.

That list of 13 hotels I got too.
But not as "list of hotels accepting home quarantine visitors/arrivals" but "list of hotels housing "dirty team" medical workers and mandatory quarantine. Stay away!" <-- which is very unkind.

But hotels are not keen to get on this list cos of local pushback. So very hard to publish a centralised one.

HKIA supplied four hotels, OZO Wesley, Charterhouse Causeway Bay, Dorsett Kwun Tong and L'Hotel Island South.
All of these have been mentioned upthread and also I think Dorsett and I think L'Hotel and Dorsett https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ntine-packages are both opening their whole chains to home quarantine arrivals.

All other passengers will be required to complete 14 days of compulsory quarantine at their home or hotel.
I think CX's notice writing guy is approaching heart failure. Let's ease up on him.
AceCobra1 likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tentseller
You will need a HK mobile number. Trying to enter with a UK passport without any legal status will adds to problems you can get into like a denied entry and a return to origin order.
How do we get them HK numbers - mail a prepaid SIM to them in advance?

Helping friend of friend from AU spend 14 days in HK before proceeding to Guangdong (has residence permit there) (I'm not sure how the PRC residence permit works towards the HK status requirement...)
AceCobra1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.