Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Hotels eligble as home quarantine

Old Mar 17, 20, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I booked the mira hotel yesterday to undergo my home quaratine but had an email today saying that "The Mira Hong Kong has stopped checking in guests eligible for the 14-day compulsory quarantine order issued by the Department of Health".

I looked at CX's website and also noted:
Note: Note: Hotels will not be eligible for home quarantine. Anyone who does not have a home address will be refused entry.

However, looking at the DH's website https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html , I can't seem to see anything about hotels not being eligible as a home quaratine option.

Does anyone know what the situation is ?
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:04 pm

As I mentioned in the other thread, the layout of the Cathay notice suggests it may only be applicable to those coming from certain high-risk countries.

You'll recall there was some discussion a couple of days ago about completely denying entry to non-residents from high-risk countries, and this would substantially achieve that.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, the layout of the Cathay notice suggests it may only be applicable to those coming from certain high-risk countries.

You'll recall there was some discussion a couple of days ago about completely denying entry to non-residents from high-risk countries, and this would substantially achieve that.
Its quite confusing because it suggests that all travelers will not be able to use hotels as home quarantine facilities.
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:01 pm

But the note is stuck in the middle there, and arguably it's meant to apply only to the countries above, not below.

Why not ask a half-dozen hotels? If they all say no, then as a practical matter you have your answer.

Of course they might have independently decided not to accept quarantinees. Perhaps afraid they'll upset all their other guests . . . .
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 20, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

But the note is stuck in the middle there, and arguably it's meant to apply only to the countries above, not below.

Why not ask a half-dozen hotels? If they all say no, then as a practical matter you have your answer.

Of course they might have independently decided not to accept quarantinees. Perhaps afraid they'll upset all their other guests . . . .
Well, I'm coming from the UK - just hope we are not one of the ones where hotel quarantine is not acceptable
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:00 am

From today's Standard:

"Risks of hotel quarantine being weighed"

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...-being-weighed
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:05 am
Original Poster

From today's Standard:

"Risks of hotel quarantine being weighed"

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...-being-weighed
Thanks. Is there a list of quarantine centers? I know that they are using some holiday parks for it. From the hygine point of view, would they be providing soap and can I wash my cloths etc. ? I wonder if there is WiFi
Old Mar 18, 20, 5:54 am

There is a list if you search around for it, but since they're adding centres today's list isn't really much use.

There was a story in the SCMP a few weeks about a foreigner who arrived from the Mainland expecting free room and board (they're now charging for it) but found himself forced into a hotel instead.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1 View Post
Well, I'm coming from the UK - just hope we are not one of the ones where hotel quarantine is not acceptable
Considering the extreme lack of preparations in the UK and the rapid spread, it would surprise me if the UK wouldn't have been put in the red zone already.

Ironically that HKG still considers the Mainland to be high risk, considering they've gotten it better under control than almost all other countries.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Ironically that HKG still considers the Mainland to be high risk, considering they've gotten it better under control than almost all other countries.
I am sure many people in Hong Kong are hoping the Mainland stays on that list forever.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:56 am
Original Poster

There is a list if you search around for it, but since they're adding centres today's list isn't really much use.

There was a story in the SCMP a few weeks about a foreigner who arrived from the Mainland expecting free room and board (they're now charging for it) but found himself forced into a hotel instead.
I would much rather be force into a hotel instead haha. But either way, I think its the right thing to do by the goverment for people to pay
Old Mar 18, 20, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Considering the extreme lack of preparations in the UK and the rapid spread, it would surprise me if the UK wouldn't have been put in the red zone already.
Yeah - trying to get out ASAP. I just came back from the shops and even the fresh produce is starting to run low.. Not to mention the toilet rolls and the cat food lol
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:04 pm

"I am sure many people in Hong Kong are hoping the Mainland stays on that list forever."

But it's a double-edged sword.

So long as the Mainland's on the red list, HK people are, for all practical purposes, barred from going there given mandatory quarantine on return. But travel to the Mainland is an important part of Hong Kong's commercial and social life.

This is true for travel generally. Hong Kong is a small place and travel outside the territory is as much a part of life as dim sum.

The quarantine restrictions are going to up-end the city's culture.
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone confirm if hotel quarantine is unacceptable ? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the HK goverment's website:

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html
Old Mar 18, 20, 12:49 pm

Here is the list of the places where the 13,000-some people under quarantine are currently staying. No doubt the list will grow much larger in coming days with expansion of the quarantine regime. You can search through and see whether any hotels seem to be listed.

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/599c_en.pdf

EDIT:

This may be your answer: Hotels are offering special quarantine packages:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/sectio...ntine-packages
Cryofern likes this.

Last edited by 889; Mar 18, 20 at 4:03 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: