Search

Hong Kong Blogs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Hong Kong Blogs?

Anyone know of HK blogs that cover food, shopping, and what to do for fun?

Thx.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
HK Blogs, at least in English, seem to be a bit pass these days. The best site I could think of for you is TimeOut.
tentseller, lsquare and kaka like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Hong Kong Living maybe? very expat oriented
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fishball
Hong Kong Living maybe? very expat oriented
I'd be a bit wary of that site. For example, the first page I went to talks about a hike on Tung Lung Chau. It is illustrated with two very nice scenic photos. The problem is that those photos are of a completely different area of HK up in the NE New Territories! Moreover the information regarding the ferries is simply wrong! They don't run every day - only on Sat, Sun & PH. So any visitor trying to plan a trip is going to get mightily confused.

Other pages have statements like " Buses 6 and 66 (from Exchange Square) both go up to Parkview " which is simply not true.

For getting to Lamma Island it says " There are separate ferry services from Aberdeen to both of the main villages on the island: Yung Shue Wan and Sok Kwu Wan." with no mention of the (for most people) much more convenient routes from Central.

For the hike over High Junk Peak it says " Continue along High Junk Peak trail the path is easy to follow". Well yes, but the High Junk Peak Trail doesn't go over High Junk Peak as the text implies.

I could go on. In other words, I would regard that site as misleading bordering on dangerous (in the hiking area).
tentseller, fishball and :D! like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Not exactly blog sites, but you can get most of what you need from Tripadvisor, HongKongExtras and HK Geoexpats.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
https://www.hong-kong-blogs-review.com/
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't the OP like the destination info here on FT?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pickles
Sadly, that site is run by an out and out racist.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by christep
Sadly, that site is run by an out and out racist.
And the links he's got are to some of the strangest stuff out there. Hong Kong does have its share of unusual characters...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:27 am

Personally, I like the video blog website YouTube. I don't have time to read through monetized/SEO'd word blogs.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended

That's a rather cynical view of blogs. As far as I am aware none of the ones I read generate any income. Certainly that was never my rationale for writing my blog back in the day. And yet people make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from their YouTube channels, so I really don't follow your logic.

Personally, I would always much rather read words than watch a video.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by christep
That's a rather cynical view of blogs. As far as I am aware none of the ones I read generate any income. Certainly that was never my rationale for writing my blog back in the day. And yet people make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from their YouTube channels, so I really don't follow your logic.

Personally, I would always much rather read words than watch a video.
It's easier to sit and watch a 10 minute, 4 second video, instead of endlessly scrolling through ads and insane spammage of key words in written blogs. At least with the videos you have lovely visuals of food/shopping/metros/hotels etc. Also with vlogs you can get more of a feel for the presenter's personality, where written blogs (or even this website) it's hard to find out what the writer is actually like.

I'm not talking about vloggers that make hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do Mark Wiens and Sonny make $100k+ ???
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:43 pm
Suspended

None of the blogs I read has any ads (or at least, none that get past my ad-blocker), and if they are doing any SEO then it's too subtle for me to spot. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but I prefer reading words.
I have no idea who Mark Wiens and Sonny are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.