Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Arr HKG in J on CX, Depart 5 hours later on Air Asia-Help

Arr HKG in J on CX, Depart 5 hours later on Air Asia-Help

Reply

Old Dec 6, 18, 2:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Programs: AA-Plat, Marriott-LT Plat
Posts: 66
Arr HKG in J on CX, Depart 5 hours later on Air Asia-Help

Hi, My daughter, husband and I are arriving HKG from BOS at 6:10 AM on CX J class. Our flight for RGN does not leave until 10:45. What is our best course of action? We will obviously have to get our baggage and then recheck (I am trying to see if we can pull off carry on only but not too sure). Is there a lounge we can use? We are also Amex plat holders and my husband is OW Sapphire. Would it make sense to get a room for a few hours at the connected hotel? Thanks for any direction.
odie11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:43 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 12,385
Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:57 pm
  #3  
2018 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ORD (formerly SAN)
Programs: Hilton Hhonors Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum (DH = EXP)
Posts: 1,322
@odie11 there is a Centurion Lounge in HKG. https://thecenturionlounge.com/locations/HKG/
AtomicLush is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:59 pm
  #4  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,285
Airside is much more comfortable for waiting.
889 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Programs: AA-Plat, Marriott-LT Plat
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Yes-separate tickets (not ideal, I know). So, that should eat up most of our time. Good to know!

I will look into the Centurion Lounge but also good to know if it is not convenient or is full that it is comfortable waiting airside. I am thinking there will be enough to hold our attention as well!

I appreciate the info. If we arrive with carry on only, is their a lounge in the arrivals hall we can use as arriving J passengers? Am thinking freshening up and/or showers-we connect in DMK on our way to RGN so it will have been a loooong time since we last showered by the time we arrive at our hotel in RGN!
odie11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, ICN, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,255
Originally Posted by odie11 View Post
Yes-separate tickets (not ideal, I know). So, that should eat up most of our time. Good to know!

I will look into the Centurion Lounge but also good to know if it is not convenient or is full that it is comfortable waiting airside. I am thinking there will be enough to hold our attention as well!

I appreciate the info. If we arrive with carry on only, is their a lounge in the arrivals hall we can use as arriving J passengers? Am thinking freshening up and/or showers-we connect in DMK on our way to RGN so it will have been a loooong time since we last showered by the time we arrive at our hotel in RGN!
Base on what you have and your needs this is recommended:

Off the plane, immigration and then head to T2 check-in for Air Asia. They have a carry on limit of 7 kg and anything heavier will need to be checked in. Check baggage is sold by weight and paying at check-in is very expensive. You can buy baggage weight allowance when you buy the ticket or any time before check-in.
T2 is the same building as T1.

There is an underground train that runs T2, T1, T1 high gates (Centurian Lounge) and 200 gates(separate building). Air Asia will depart from the 200 gates.
Take this train to the T1 high gate stop from T2, freshen up at Centurian Lounge.

When you disembark/Alight the train for Centurian lounge, ask the staff at that stop on how to get back onto that train to head to the 200 gates.
tentseller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 2:11 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 12,655
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Arrive 0610 depart 1045 - the OP will be at the Air Asia check in counters by 7am at the absolute latest giving them almost 4 hours My only concern would be the opening time of Air Asia check in counters. They may not open until 3 hours prior to departure?
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 2:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, ICN, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 9,255
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Arrive 0610 depart 1045 - the OP will be at the Air Asia check in counters by 7am at the absolute latest giving them almost 4 hours My only concern would be the opening time of Air Asia check in counters. They may not open until 3 hours prior to departure?
​​​​​​Good point whether AirAsia's counters are open or if open whether they will check them in more than 3 hours before their flight.
tentseller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 8:19 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Programs: AA-Plat, Marriott-LT Plat
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Arrive 0610 depart 1045 - the OP will be at the Air Asia check in counters by 7am at the absolute latest giving them almost 4 hours My only concern would be the opening time of Air Asia check in counters. They may not open until 3 hours prior to departure?
Check in is three hours ahead. I guess it does not matter if we check or carry on on CX because we will still have to clear customs to check into Air Asia, correct?
odie11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 10:09 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 21,915
As Amex Plat cardholders you can use your Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but I’m not sure if there’s an extra charge. Probably not a bad idea if you can’t check in for Air Asia right away. Then head to the Centurion lounge after checking in, although frankly IMO it’s not that comfortable a lounge (it’s mostly chairs as opposed to couches). I think there’s a Plaza Premium lounge right there as well, as an alternative.
ijgordon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 11:56 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Programs: AA-Plat, Marriott-LT Plat
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
As Amex Plat cardholders you can use your Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but Iím not sure if thereís an extra charge. Probably not a bad idea if you canít check in for Air Asia right away. Then head to the Centurion lounge after checking in, although frankly IMO itís not that comfortable a lounge (itís mostly chairs as opposed to couches). I think thereís a Plaza Premium lounge right there as well, as an alternative.
That is great information. Thank you!!!
odie11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 18, 4:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,716
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but Iím not sure if thereís an extra charge.
No extra charge for shower. But the lounge has been very busy due to the closing of the CX arrival lounge last month.
beep88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:29 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CT
Programs: AA-Plat, Marriott-LT Plat
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
No extra charge for shower. But the lounge has been very busy due to the closing of the CX arrival lounge last month.

Ok, we should have plenty of time.

Do we need to have a visa to go through immigration in Hong Kong?
odie11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 18, 12:02 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: None any more
Posts: 10,460
Originally Posted by odie11 View Post
Do we need to have a visa to go through immigration in Hong Kong?
Assuming you are American, then no.

Note that there are also free showers in the airside arrivals area. You need your own towel though.

Complimentary Shower Facilities, Airport Facilities & Services - Hong Kong International Airport
christep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 18, 2:13 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 21,915
Originally Posted by christep View Post
Assuming you are American, then no.

Note that there are also free showers in the airside arrivals area. You need your own towel though.

Complimentary Shower Facilities, Airport Facilities & Services - Hong Kong International Airport
Yes, I saw this the other day walking through with a colleague!
Anyone know what it's like? Locker-room style? Probably not individual suites otherwise they wouldn't really need to separate genders.
You'd think they'd at least offer towels for rent/sale for US$5 or whatever. Who travels with a towel in their carry-on?!? Lol.
ijgordon is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: