Wiki Posts
Search

Arr HKG in J on CX, Depart 5 hours later on Air Asia-Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Arr HKG in J on CX, Depart 5 hours later on Air Asia-Help

Hi, My daughter, husband and I are arriving HKG from BOS at 6:10 AM on CX J class. Our flight for RGN does not leave until 10:45. What is our best course of action? We will obviously have to get our baggage and then recheck (I am trying to see if we can pull off carry on only but not too sure). Is there a lounge we can use? We are also Amex plat holders and my husband is OW Sapphire. Would it make sense to get a room for a few hours at the connected hotel? Thanks for any direction.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@odie11 there is a Centurion Lounge in HKG. https://thecenturionlounge.com/locations/HKG/
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:59 pm

Airside is much more comfortable for waiting.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Separate tickets?
After disembarking, collect bags, immigration and then to Air Asia for check in you will not have much spare time.
OW Sapphire will not entitle you to lounge access. That is for Oneworld departures only.
Yes-separate tickets (not ideal, I know). So, that should eat up most of our time. Good to know!

I will look into the Centurion Lounge but also good to know if it is not convenient or is full that it is comfortable waiting airside. I am thinking there will be enough to hold our attention as well!

I appreciate the info. If we arrive with carry on only, is their a lounge in the arrivals hall we can use as arriving J passengers? Am thinking freshening up and/or showers-we connect in DMK on our way to RGN so it will have been a loooong time since we last showered by the time we arrive at our hotel in RGN!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by odie11
Yes-separate tickets (not ideal, I know). So, that should eat up most of our time. Good to know!

I will look into the Centurion Lounge but also good to know if it is not convenient or is full that it is comfortable waiting airside. I am thinking there will be enough to hold our attention as well!

I appreciate the info. If we arrive with carry on only, is their a lounge in the arrivals hall we can use as arriving J passengers? Am thinking freshening up and/or showers-we connect in DMK on our way to RGN so it will have been a loooong time since we last showered by the time we arrive at our hotel in RGN!
Base on what you have and your needs this is recommended:

Off the plane, immigration and then head to T2 check-in for Air Asia. They have a carry on limit of 7 kg and anything heavier will need to be checked in. Check baggage is sold by weight and paying at check-in is very expensive. You can buy baggage weight allowance when you buy the ticket or any time before check-in.
T2 is the same building as T1.

There is an underground train that runs T2, T1, T1 high gates (Centurian Lounge) and 200 gates(separate building). Air Asia will depart from the 200 gates.
Take this train to the T1 high gate stop from T2, freshen up at Centurian Lounge.

When you disembark/Alight the train for Centurian lounge, ask the staff at that stop on how to get back onto that train to head to the 200 gates.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Separate tickets?
Arrive 0610 depart 1045 - the OP will be at the Air Asia check in counters by 7am at the absolute latest giving them almost 4 hours My only concern would be the opening time of Air Asia check in counters. They may not open until 3 hours prior to departure?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Arrive 0610 depart 1045 - the OP will be at the Air Asia check in counters by 7am at the absolute latest giving them almost 4 hours My only concern would be the opening time of Air Asia check in counters. They may not open until 3 hours prior to departure?
​​​​​​Good point whether AirAsia's counters are open or if open whether they will check them in more than 3 hours before their flight.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Separate tickets?
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Check in is three hours ahead. I guess it does not matter if we check or carry on on CX because we will still have to clear customs to check into Air Asia, correct?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Amex Plat cardholders you can use your Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but I’m not sure if there’s an extra charge. Probably not a bad idea if you can’t check in for Air Asia right away. Then head to the Centurion lounge after checking in, although frankly IMO it’s not that comfortable a lounge (it’s mostly chairs as opposed to couches). I think there’s a Plaza Premium lounge right there as well, as an alternative.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
As Amex Plat cardholders you can use your Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but I’m not sure if there’s an extra charge. Probably not a bad idea if you can’t check in for Air Asia right away. Then head to the Centurion lounge after checking in, although frankly IMO it’s not that comfortable a lounge (it’s mostly chairs as opposed to couches). I think there’s a Plaza Premium lounge right there as well, as an alternative.
That is great information. Thank you!!!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Priority Pass membership to access the Plaza Premium lounge in the arrivals area, landslide / after customs. They have showers but I’m not sure if there’s an extra charge.
No extra charge for shower. But the lounge has been very busy due to the closing of the CX arrival lounge last month.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
No extra charge for shower. But the lounge has been very busy due to the closing of the CX arrival lounge last month.

Ok, we should have plenty of time.

Do we need to have a visa to go through immigration in Hong Kong?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by odie11
Do we need to have a visa to go through immigration in Hong Kong?
Assuming you are American, then no.

Note that there are also free showers in the airside arrivals area. You need your own towel though.

Complimentary Shower Facilities, Airport Facilities & Services - Hong Kong International Airport
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christep
Assuming you are American, then no.

Note that there are also free showers in the airside arrivals area. You need your own towel though.

Complimentary Shower Facilities, Airport Facilities & Services - Hong Kong International Airport
Yes, I saw this the other day walking through with a colleague!
Anyone know what it's like? Locker-room style? Probably not individual suites otherwise they wouldn't really need to separate genders.
You'd think they'd at least offer towels for rent/sale for US$5 or whatever. Who travels with a towel in their carry-on?!? Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.