HK introduces Smart Departure e-channel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK introduces Smart Departure e-channel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - most IDs in the world expire after certain time of issuance. Hong Kong is one of the few exception.

Periodic renewal is actually a proper policy.
It's not the card that has an expiry date per se; it's the technology. The current Smart ID Card System was designed for 10 years of use. We're past that, plus the system software is now obsolete and is no longer supported.

The government is going to be bringing in the Next Generation Smart ID System, with the card replacement running from 2018 to 2022, tentatively. Contractors are PCCW Solutions Ltd and Safran Identity & Security.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just google smartics-2 for information on the next HKPIC.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I sought out the e-departure lanes on Sunday. Machine was a little finicky reading passport, but it worked on 3rd try, then I was right through, as facial camera was quick.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I sought out the e-departure lanes on Sunday. Machine was a little finicky reading passport, but it worked on 3rd try, then I was right through, as facial camera was quick.
hi, likewise for me this evening (saved maybe 5 to 10 mins)

regards

tbs
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

Their machines don't work well. I was able to go through Singapore but not here. So something wrong with their machine.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by worldiswide
It is not quite unrestricted but if you enter HKG 3-4 times in a year (I dont remember which) you can register for e-channel. We did that one year and the process was really simple, about 10 minutes at the airport between immigration and baggage. When we got new (US) passports we brought the old, and they re-registered the new passports. We use the same gates at HKG residents for arrival and departure.
You can also register for E-Channel based on membership level in certain airline frequent flyer programs. See the thread ​​​​​​​Apply for E-Channel with FF status.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:15 pm

The "Smart Departure" channel is now available at most immigration control points, including Luo Hu and Shenzhen Bay crossings.

e-Channel Services for Visitors | Immigration Department
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:02 am

Yes, the passport-reading machines are indeed finicky. And you have to insert your passport with the data page face down very carefully because the slot seems to be set to the precise width of the passport. It'll catch if you don't do it just right. Took about four tries, including assistance at one point. But as said, the photo-recognition step seems quick and hassle-free.

It's as if that passport-reading machine was designed on paper, without getting a prototype first and running a 100 passport-laden passengers through it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.