Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Your favourite spots for food and shopping in Hong Kong?

Old Jan 9, 18, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist

I'm just wondering what are some of your favourite restaurants and shops in Hong Kong?
Old Jan 9, 18, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Given that you're worried about your MTR expenditure getting over HK$50 a day, I imagine you're looking at very basic dai pai dongs in order to stay within your apparently very limited resources. My favourite restaurants would cost you several hundred HK$ per meal at least (more with drinks).
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by christep View Post
Given that you're worried about your MTR expenditure getting over HK$50 a day, I imagine you're looking at very basic dai pai dongs in order to stay within your apparently very limited resources. My favourite restaurants would cost you several hundred HK$ per meal at least (more with drinks).
I'm not sure how you would interpret those questions as me being worried about my MTR expenditure. What's wrong with asking about how to save money? Limited resources? Did you even read my post properly?
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:13 pm

If you're not necessarily looking to buy something but just want some lively local bazaar colour, Sham Shui Po is a good bet.

For actual shopping, Causeway Bay.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Mong Kok.
Old Jan 10, 18, 9:51 pm

What kind of shopping? For a choice of tech stuff there are a couple of places with multiple stores (Golden Centre, Wanchai Copmuter Centre). For cloth/dressmaking, there's a district Sham Shui Po. For luxury/branded goods, there are the upper-end shopping malls, e.g. IFC, Pacific Place. For cheap(er) everything, there's the border.

There are three large shopping malls next to each other: Shatin Plaza, New Town Plaza, New Town Plaza 3. Hundreds and hundreds of shops there, and loads of places to eat. Really popular. Easy to get to - on the MTR.

Shatin Centre & Shatin Plaza
Home (EN) | New Town Plaza

There's also Harbour City (with Harbour Terminal attached), which is nice. Accessible from Central via the Star Ferry, which is $2.70 Mon-Fri, and $3.70 Sat/Sun/PH.

Harbour City

Not favourites spots, because that would depend on what I'm buying and how far I can be bothered to travel to buy something.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I didn't see much I could get cheaper in HK.
Old Jan 10, 18, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did love this trinket in HK.

I did love the street dedicated to hospitality.

I didn't see much regular stuff I could get cheaper in HK.
Old Jan 10, 18, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post

I did love the street dedicated to hospitality.

I didn't see much regular stuff I could get cheaper in HK.
Shanghai Street? Handy having all that stuff in one street.

Hong Kong isn't the shoppers' paradise it once was (if it ever was).
Old Jan 11, 18, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Shanghai Street? Handy having all that stuff in one street.

Hong Kong isn't the shoppers' paradise it once was (if it ever was).
Might of been Shanghai Street. I did buy lots of cake decorating stuff.

I did enjoy bird street and goldfish street. I worried about the fish getting too hot in their little bags.

Tommy Hilfiger polos were $AUD200 in HK Similar polos average AUD$110 to $130 in Australia. After doing that comparison to buy my husband tops we didn't bother at all with further shopping.
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:05 am

Programs: CX AY DL
Bangkok
jerrywu likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 4:14 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I'm not sure how you would interpret those questions as me being worried about my MTR expenditure. What's wrong with asking about how to save money? Limited resources? Did you even read my post properly?
If you want to save money, rice box or plated rice would suit you fine.
Old Jan 11, 18, 7:41 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
What kind of shopping?
Yeah exactly. And also depends on what type of setting you prefer. Mall? Street market? Shopping district? You okay with going to really "local" places? Or do you want to stick to where there's fair amount of English spoken?

Out of all the malls where English is widely spoken, I prefer Harbour City. But I wouldn't go to malls to buy jewelry or tea.
Old Jan 11, 18, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
But I wouldn't go to malls to buy jewelry or tea.
I think you forgot a period after malls. The rest of the sentence is extraneous.
Old Jan 13, 18, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I don't know about OP, but when I travel - I love to shop! I rarely BUY, but I love to shop! It's just fun to see what's available, I love everything from street markets to fancy malls and it's fun for me to explore. I have definitely asked questions like this in the past. I'm sad we didn't have more time to explore HKG - just 2 days - when we were there :-(

Search this Thread