Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 6:19 am
Original Poster

First trip to Hong Kong

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017. I would love to hear suggestions for things to see and travel in Hong kong to make good use of our time but also be mindful that we may not be able to do everything with 2 kids included in the trip. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Stivelio; May 29, 2017 at 6:46 am
Old May 29, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Just to be clear, you mean arriving from NRT?
Old May 29, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Just to be clear, you mean arriving from NRT?
yes that is correct. I just fixed my post. We are staying in Tokyo for a week and then flying into Hong Kong for a few days before flying back to dallas
Old May 29, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Stivelio
I would love to hear suggestions for things to see and travel in Hong kong to make good use of our time but also be mindful that we may not be able to do everything with 2 kids included in the trip.
It may be easier for you to plan the trip first. Then we contribute.

First - we need to get some senses what you want. Second - it is impractical to ask people to plan your entire trip.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:50 am

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017.
Change of plan? Thought you were going to be in Japan till 1/3.
Anyways, agree with Gary. You posed a very similar question in the Jpn forum, and you've gotten a lot of good info over there. But the reality is, just googling "Hong Kong with kids" should go a long way towards addressing much of your very general question.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
Change of plan? Thought you were going to be in Japan till 1/3.
Anyways, agree with Gary. You posed a very similar question in the Jpn forum, and you've gotten a lot of good info over there. But the reality is, just googling "Hong Kong with kids" should go a long way towards addressing much of your very general question.
yeah decided to change the itenary a little bit to first week in Japan and next few days in hong Kong as a lot of people suggested that most places will be closed around 1/1 for a couple of days.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
NYE at Victoria Harbor is fun. However, as expected, it will be crowded so be aware with your kids. Other than that, Ocean Park, Cable Car to the peak, and Disneyland is good for the kids.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:13 pm

Ngong Ping Cable Car, Ding Dings, Star Ferry, Peak Tram are all easy and worth a thought.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by prister
NYE at Victoria Harbor is fun. However, as expected, it will be crowded so be aware with your kids. Other than that, Ocean Park, Cable Car to the peak, and Disneyland is good for the kids.
Does any local have suggestion by what time in the evening one should try to get into the HABOR area? WE arrived too late (around 9-10PM, I think) the last time we went for the NYE count down fireworks and all pedestrian roads leading into the harbor area were all closed down by the police due to over crowded!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lax2010
Does any local have suggestion by what time in the evening one should try to get into the HABOR area? WE arrived too late (around 9-10PM, I think) the last time we went for the NYE count down fireworks and all pedestrian roads leading into the harbor area were all closed down by the police due to over crowded!
People were camped out starting lunch time for the July 1, 20th-anniversary pyrotechnics.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:35 pm

There is loads of things to do in HKG with kids. Ocean Park and Disneyland are our usual haunts as are

* The zoo in Hong Kong Park which is free. it is at the top of the park past the playground.

* The science museum in TST is very hands on with a soft play for the younger ones on the top floor. Wednesdays are free entry but very busy.

* Junk boat ride around the harbour. The Tourist office sells tickets for HKD $50. You will need to show a foreign passport to book

* HK Central Library in Causeway Bay runs a free toy library on the second floor. You have to call to book
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:12 am

Did you want to buy luxury goods from Habour City in Tsim Sha Tsui?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017.
Originally Posted by Charlottes
Did you want to buy luxury goods from Habour City in Tsim Sha Tsui?
I don't think so.

Besides the usual tourist must see list, Ocean Park and HK Science Museum if they are open at that time are your best bet for the 6yrs old.
I would only consider Disney if their others parks are not an option in your lifetime.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
People were camped out starting lunch time for the July 1, 20th-anniversary pyrotechnics.
those are paid by china and wouldnt be there for NYE.

I'd say 7pm would be too late and you can hardly get to Salisbury Road (look at a map).
roads get blocked at 4 or 6 pm, so that's actually when the most people arrive. IF you want to be by the seaside, I'd say 4-5pm would be a good bet.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by kaka
those are paid by china and wouldnt be there for NYE.

I'd say 7pm would be too late and you can hardly get to Salisbury Road (look at a map).
roads get blocked at 4 or 6 pm, so that's actually when the most people arrive. IF you want to be by the seaside, I'd say 4-5pm would be a good bet.
Did you mean the camped-out people are paid by China? :-)

Good info on the 4-5 PM arrival at TST?

If I were to stay in hotel at Causeway Bay, is the Convention Center a good location to watch the fireworks within walking distance and what time should I "camp out"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.