FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hong Kong and Macau (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/)
-   -   First trip to Hong Kong (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1845102-first-trip-hong-kong.html)

Stivelio May 29, 2017 6:19 am

First trip to Hong Kong

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017. I would love to hear suggestions for things to see and travel in Hong kong to make good use of our time but also be mindful that we may not be able to do everything with 2 kids included in the trip. Thanks in advance http://cdn.flyertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

christep May 29, 2017 6:34 am

Just to be clear, you mean arriving from NRT?

Stivelio May 29, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by christep (Post 28373673)
Just to be clear, you mean arriving from NRT?

yes that is correct. I just fixed my post. We are staying in Tokyo for a week and then flying into Hong Kong for a few days before flying back to dallas

garykung May 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 28373622)
I would love to hear suggestions for things to see and travel in Hong kong to make good use of our time but also be mindful that we may not be able to do everything with 2 kids included in the trip.

It may be easier for you to plan the trip first. Then we contribute.

First - we need to get some senses what you want. Second - it is impractical to ask people to plan your entire trip.

evergrn May 30, 2017 12:50 am

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017.

Change of plan? Thought you were going to be in Japan till 1/3.
Anyways, agree with Gary. You posed a very similar question in the Jpn forum, and you've gotten a lot of good info over there. But the reality is, just googling "Hong Kong with kids" should go a long way towards addressing much of your very general question.

Stivelio May 30, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 28376951)
Change of plan? Thought you were going to be in Japan till 1/3.
Anyways, agree with Gary. You posed a very similar question in the Jpn forum, and you've gotten a lot of good info over there. But the reality is, just googling "Hong Kong with kids" should go a long way towards addressing much of your very general question.

yeah decided to change the itenary a little bit to first week in Japan and next few days in hong Kong as a lot of people suggested that most places will be closed around 1/1 for a couple of days.

prister May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

NYE at Victoria Harbor is fun. However, as expected, it will be crowded so be aware with your kids. Other than that, Ocean Park, Cable Car to the peak, and Disneyland is good for the kids.

josua Jul 7, 2017 2:13 pm

Ngong Ping Cable Car, Ding Dings, Star Ferry, Peak Tram are all easy and worth a thought.

lax2010 Jul 9, 2017 9:35 am

Originally Posted by prister (Post 28386207)
NYE at Victoria Harbor is fun. However, as expected, it will be crowded so be aware with your kids. Other than that, Ocean Park, Cable Car to the peak, and Disneyland is good for the kids.

Does any local have suggestion by what time in the evening one should try to get into the HABOR area? WE arrived too late (around 9-10PM, I think) the last time we went for the NYE count down fireworks and all pedestrian roads leading into the harbor area were all closed down by the police due to over crowded!

tentseller Jul 9, 2017 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010 (Post 28538308)
Does any local have suggestion by what time in the evening one should try to get into the HABOR area? WE arrived too late (around 9-10PM, I think) the last time we went for the NYE count down fireworks and all pedestrian roads leading into the harbor area were all closed down by the police due to over crowded!

People were camped out starting lunch time for the July 1, 20th-anniversary pyrotechnics.

williemaykit Jul 9, 2017 11:35 pm

There is loads of things to do in HKG with kids. Ocean Park and Disneyland are our usual haunts as are

* The zoo in Hong Kong Park which is free. it is at the top of the park past the playground.

* The science museum in TST is very hands on with a soft play for the younger ones on the top floor. Wednesdays are free entry but very busy.

* Junk boat ride around the harbour. The Tourist office sells tickets for HKD $50. You will need to show a foreign passport to book

* HK Central Library in Causeway Bay runs a free toy library on the second floor. You have to call to book

Charlottes Jul 13, 2017 6:12 am

Did you want to buy luxury goods from Habour City in Tsim Sha Tsui?

tentseller Jul 13, 2017 7:04 am

We are a family of 4 ( 2 adults, 6 yr old and 1 yr old) planning to visit Hong kong for the first time between 12/30/2017 (arriving from NRT) and 1/3/2017.

Originally Posted by Charlottes (Post 28555081)
Did you want to buy luxury goods from Habour City in Tsim Sha Tsui?

I don't think so.

Besides the usual tourist must see list, Ocean Park and HK Science Museum if they are open at that time are your best bet for the 6yrs old.
I would only consider Disney if their others parks are not an option in your lifetime.

kaka Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 28540509)
People were camped out starting lunch time for the July 1, 20th-anniversary pyrotechnics.

those are paid by china and wouldnt be there for NYE.

I'd say 7pm would be too late and you can hardly get to Salisbury Road (look at a map).
roads get blocked at 4 or 6 pm, so that's actually when the most people arrive. IF you want to be by the seaside, I'd say 4-5pm would be a good bet.

lax2010 Jul 14, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 28556346)
those are paid by china and wouldnt be there for NYE.

I'd say 7pm would be too late and you can hardly get to Salisbury Road (look at a map).
roads get blocked at 4 or 6 pm, so that's actually when the most people arrive. IF you want to be by the seaside, I'd say 4-5pm would be a good bet.

Did you mean the camped-out people are paid by China? :-)

Good info on the 4-5 PM arrival at TST?

If I were to stay in hotel at Causeway Bay, is the Convention Center a good location to watch the fireworks within walking distance and what time should I "camp out"?