Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Airport to Kowloon Hotel Transfer Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
HKG Airport to Kowloon Hotel Transfer Questions

I've looked over the forum and researched using FT's search feature, but have not found answers to some of my qustions - including this one about airport transfers. I hope folks here on the forum can help.

In a couple of weeks I will be visiting Hong Kong for the third time. The first two times car transfers from the airport to my hotel were included as part of the trip. This will not be the case during this visit.

Transfer options appear to include the Airport Express coupled with a shuttle transfer in Kowloon, taxi service, UberX, and private car transfer. Most of the car transfers I've seen seem quite expensive - upwards of $100 USD - which is out of my price range.

That said, I'm looking for airport to Kowloon transfers that take into account some specifics:
  1. I am an older woman, move slowly, and walking long distances can be tiring. Carrying or lifting luggage (or going up and down long flights of stairs) is difficult for me. I don't know how this would factor in for using of the Airport Express and the shuttle service.

2. My flight arrival time is quite late in the evening. It's unclear whether I would even be able to get to the Airport Express in time for the ride to Kowloon. Or if I did catch the Express, I might then be too late for the hotel shuttle service.

3. There seem to be varying opinions about UberX, including that it can be difficult to locate the pick-up point at the HKG airport. Wandering around alone at night while trying to find a driver is not at the top of my list of activites.

4. Also there seem to be varying opinions about taxi services, with reports about non-English speaking drivers taking the "long way" to run up the fare. Are airport taxis well regulated or is it a free-for-all as it is in some locales?

Taking into account those issues and questions, what transportation option would be best? And are there any private car transfer services that can be recommended that don't charge $800-900 HKD or more for the trip?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:06 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I would say that a regular old airport taxi could be the best compromise mode of transport, given your points 1-4 above. Probably will be HKD$200-250 or so to Kowloon. Most taxi drivers are honest. They will likely help you with bags as well.

If others could comment on the UberX pickup point, that might be even more reliable/hassle free as the driver is sure to be relatively well behaved, and you have customer service recourse if any hitches.

Although perhaps if you are arriving >11pm the number of UberX available might be more sparse. You might do an experiment where you open the Uber app a few times in the next few days around the time you would arrive in HKG, to see what the Uber car typical availability is. UberX is probably also around ~$200

Airport Express probably has the most absolute certainty of what is involved, but with a few more steps admittedly. Airport Express is HK$63 using the discount codes in the discussion thread in this forum. Compared to taxi option, Airport Express involves:

-- Just about the same distance from aircraft gate to stepping on board, as the exit from airport is nearly the same distance (in fact going to the taxi rank involves going down a gradual walking ramp)
-- Putting your luggage in the compartment adjacent to the train door (but I recall there are slots that do not require any lifting)
-- Exiting train with luggage
-- 5 min level walking + escalator or elevator to get to hotel shuttles
-- Lifting bag to the bus (driver might help)
-- Getting bag off bus (driver might help)
-- Walk to hotel entrance (probably less than 1 minute)

Hope it's helpful!

Last edited by TA; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
There seem to be varying opinions about UberX, including that it can be difficult to locate the pick-up point at the HKG airport. Wandering around alone at night while trying to find a driver is not at the top of my list of activites.
Adding on to this point then:

Not difficult. UberX pickup point is at Car Park 1. Leave baggage claim at Exit B and then exit the arrivals hall in the far right corner, and take either the elevators or escalators down to the ground level. That's where "general" car pickup is, and where the Uber driver will be as well. No lifting of luggage needed.

Here's a general map

If you say "late at night" - what is your scheduled arrival time? Last Airport Express is at 00:48, and Uber availability is quite unpredictable in HK, so Taxi might be your only option anyhow. Busses might be an option, and depending on where your hotel is require the same amount of lifting and walking as the Airport Express.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Memo to OP, it would enable the FT regulars here if you can provide a little more specific ... your airline/flight & ETA into HKG; and, the name/address of your hotel in Kowloon.

Late night, if you missed the last AE Train into the KL, taxi should always be your fallback option, no matter what. Have the name & address of your hotel translated (use "Google" or cut-n-paste from your browser) & printed in larger font (easier for the driver to read) - bilingually (traditional Chinese characters) to show to the taxi driver ... that will take care of any English language gap or mis-communication. Make a note or (smart)phone image of the taxi's license plate & driver's displayed ID/info (mandatory inside the vehicle) for your reference in case of any fares dispute or error, or need to file a police complaint (999 instead of 911).

As long as AE is running, the complimentary routes to the various area hotels should continue to run - and there is free porter services on both end to help you with luggage. Tipping is not required nor demanded, but always welcomed and appreciated. There are elevators from the platform up to ground transportation once you get into KLN's AE station - directions/signage are bilingual & easy to follow.

If your hotel isn't on one of several routes and you rather go door-to-door, the porter will cheerfully help you to get to the taxi stand & assist with loading your luggage.

As seasoned travelers - we pack light, no matter what the generous allowance are - pack & bring/split some of the items into a cabin bag with the essentials (even for women, one can make/find room in the smaller "bag" for a purse ... easier to get around airport and not have a 3rd or 4th item to worry about)

$200 to $250 for a taxi trip including toll into KL might be on the low side - not knowing where you are booked into for your stay, I would allow for $300 to $350 including a little tipping to the driver for good services (roughly $40 for $45 USD for a direct airport trip to hotel, door-to-door services via taxi is relatively reasonable, compared to what it cost in some of the major U.S. cities) Just show the taxi driver the printed English/Chinese name & address of the hotel (after the luggage is loaded & you are inside the taxi) and go - relax & sit back, enjoy the late night scenic trip in Lantau via the bridge into town ... at those hours, probably less than 45 minutes ... not knowing where you are going exactly.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:01 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
These images might help regarding UberX:

Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

TA and Letitride3c, thanks to both of you for the information you shared in your detailed replies. It's very helpful as I sort out the transfer options. I appreciate your time and help!

Thanks for the arrivals passenger guide link, gpia. The information on that page and the rest of the HKIA site will be helpful.

My return will be midafternoon, so I'm almost certain that I'll use the free shuttle from Hyatt TST to the Kowloon station, check in, and take the Airport Express. It's only on that late night arrival where things are a concern, as a small flight delay would cause me to miss the train -
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
TA and Letitride3c, thanks to both of you for the information you shared in your detailed replies. It's very helpful as I sort out the transfer options. I appreciate your time and help!

Thanks for the arrivals passenger guide link, gpia. The information on that page and the rest of the HKIA site will be helpful.

My return will be midafternoon, so I'm almost certain that I'll use the free shuttle from Hyatt TST to the Kowloon station, check in, and take the Airport Express. It's only on that late night arrival where things are a concern, as a small flight delay would cause me to miss the train -
Data point in my experience with late arrival by Delta into HK:

Delta has always reimbursed my cab fare to my HK home on Stubb's Rd when their late cause me to miss the last Airport train into town.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:13 pm

Maybe I missed it, but it's still not clear to me exactly what time you arrive in HKG. In any case, I will assume that you will make the last Airport Express. Take the AE to Kowloon Sta, but forget about the free shuttle bus. Just take a cab from Kowloon Sta to your hotel. The cab ride will be dirt-cheap. A free shuttle bus is not worth it, as you may have to wait up to 20-30min and the shuttle makes multiple stops along the way and there is no guarantee there will be any space left in the luggage rack. It's possible to go from the AE platform to the taxi area without using any stairs.

While I use taxis a lot in HKG for short trips, personally I'm not a fan of taking taxis between HKIA and the city. I've had one scary experience with a driver dozing off and a couple of bitter experiences with unethical drivers. If you happen to miss the last AE, then follow Letitride3c's advice for riding the taxi. Trip to Tsim Sha Tsui will probably cost close to $250 + $30 for bridge + $5 per bag... budget ~$300 total including a little tip.

I can't comment on Uber.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tentseller
Data point in my experience with late arrival by Delta into HK:

Delta has always reimbursed my cab fare to my HK home on Stubb's Rd when their late cause me to miss the last Airport train into town.
CX and KA have the same policy, but you need to ask.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I can't comment on Uber.
Uber costs roughly the same (usually around 10% less than Taxi) coming back from the airport. To Jordan: Taxi 230, Uber 200 (10+ data points).
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Again, some good information from all of you. I appreciate it. As for not giving out my flight number or date of travel, I'm rather private, and don't think those pieces of information are necessary for the discussion. My apology.

I also found the Airport Express Discount Codes thread that was mentioned. From there I learned that if I purchase a 20% off Airport Express ticket voucher online from Klook that I don't have to queue to buy a ticket at the airport - I can simply roll onto the train. That takes some of the time worry out of things, and the ticket is quite inexpensive when purchased online in advance.

If the flight is delayed to the point where I miss the train, I think I'd first try Uber. The advantage with Uber over a taxi is that there is online payment, tracking, and what I perceive as better recourse for reporting in the event of a problem. Of course, that opinion comes from someone who lives in an area without Uber.

Taxi the entire way would be my fall back choice, but just in case I've already printed out copies of the Hyatt's "taxi sheets" from the hotel website. They include a map of the hotel location and all information in both Engligh and Chinese.

Thank you all for your input and information.

Last edited by AKCuisine; Nov 5, 2016 at 10:36 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Taking into account those issues and questions, what transportation option would be best?
It depends if the money is a factor in this case.

IMO, the cheapest/direct way is to take the bus - Citybus A21. What good about A21 is it is a 5-minute walk from the nearest stop to your hotel (Middle Road). In the worst case, you can take the bus all the way to the Hung Hom Station, where taxis will be available.

In the worst case that your flight arrives late, an alternative is also available (Citybus N21).

They are all low-floor buses. A ramp is also available in the bus driver's discretion (Well...it is obviously designed for wheelchair, not loading baggage).

The only bad news is you will need cash or Octopus Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.