Search

Travel advice SFO to MFM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3P, Marriott Gold
Travel advice SFO to MFM

Hi all,

I'll be heading to Macau a few times in the next few months, coming from SFO and possibly YYZ. I'd like to stick to flying on UA / *A (I'll be 2P on UA) and I see two main options come up.

1) SFO to MFM via Taipei on EVA

2) SFO to HKG on UA metal, then taking the ferry

Which is a better trip? It looks like the SFO - HKG flight is on a 747, and I know nothing about EVA as an airline. I like the idea of the ferry transfer, but I don't know how straightforward that is.

FWIW these will be my first TPAC flights.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
If you are a gold on UA I'd try to stick w/ UA metal and get a good E+ seat. EVA is a awesome airline, and most well known for their world class business product. If you are flying coach get a E+ seat on UA, business fly BR!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:41 am

EVA... I'm out of LAX so it is bit different for me, but I think that EVA certainly has the superior business class (Royal Laurel) product and the price difference between UA economy and EVA PE (Elite) tends to be around $200 to $300. So for me UA isn't even competitive. I wish they were, but they are not.

The ferry takes a bit of time, but sure, it can be a nice way to travel. I'm flying into/ out of HKG next week, but will be in Macau for the work week. So on my return I'll use the ferry that runs directly to HKIA.

The change in TPE also takes time of course, and MFM can get backed up, but it's a nice small airport that is very easy to navigate.

Flight times are different also. I actually time my EVA flights so that I land at TPE at 0600 when the Starbucks opens, grab a coffee, then head to the lounge to eat and shower. Then it's a quick hop to MFM and I feel pretty good when I hit the ground there.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Keep in mind that the direct ferry from HKG to Macau isn't that frequent. UA869 arrives 6:40p. If it's on-time, you should be able to take the 8p ferry; but after that, only a 9:30p sailing remains. There may be quite a bit of wait, or you may have to travel out to HK Island and then take the regular ferry.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MFBergmann
Which is a better trip?
IMHO - UA is a better choice.

1. UA SFO-HKG counts toward PQDs. BR does not.

(Per your profile, it seems like you are subject to PQD requirement.)

2. You have free E+ at check-in.

(Seat options may not be great. But it is still better than paying PEY on BR.)

3. By choosing BR, you will be stuck at TPE for hours. By choosing UA, your transit time is minimal.

(Even HKIA-Macau ferry service is limited in schedule, you can still go all the way to Hong Kong Island and catch the next available ferry. Only a difference of ~45 minutes and HKD$46 by Airport Express. If you don't mind the time, want to enjoy the night view, and save more money (-$14), you can take A11 bus to the ferry pier. But you must return to HKIA directly from Macau to have the free-hassle departure tax refund.)

4. SFO-MFM fare, in general, tends to be higher than SFO-HKG.

Since you are *S, you are pretty much not entitled anything. So there is virtually no benefit for choosing BR.

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Keep in mind that the direct ferry from HKG to Macau isn't that frequent. UA869 arrives 6:40p. If it's on-time, you should be able to take the 8p ferry; but after that, only a 9:30p sailing remains. There may be quite a bit of wait, or you may have to travel out to HK Island and then take the regular ferry.
The issue is not about if the flight will be on-time or not.

The problem is at a similar time, there are 3 UA flights (EWR-179, ORD-895, SFO-869) arrived at HKG. It takes time for the baggages to be processed.

As a 1K, my baggage did not arrived until 7:30pm.

Last edited by garykung; Oct 29, 2015 at 5:45 am
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
{deleted - misunderstood}
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by garykung
The problem is at a similar time, there are 3 UA flights (EWR-179, ORD-895, SFO-869) arrived at HKG. It takes time for the baggages to be processed.

As a 1K, my baggage did not arrived until 7:30pm.
If OP is taking ferry from HKG to MFM, the time required to wait for luggage is non issue as they will be fetched by ferry staff and OP only see his checked bag in macau. IMO I will just take the ferry from the airport, take a coffee or 2 while waiting for sail to save the hassel from going to sheung wan
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
If OP is taking ferry from HKG to MFM, the time required to wait for luggage is non issue as they will be fetched by ferry staff and OP only see his checked bag in macau.
This is not the part I concern - It takes 5-10 minutes for a UA baggage travel from Gate 6x to T1.

This is the part I concern. - It takes time to unload the ULD to the ground and unpack.

Believe me - depending on the number of the baggage, it may not be a bad idea to go to Sheung Wan.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight everyone.

The only issue I see with the HKG route is that if I miss the airport ferry, I'd have to go through Hong Kong immigration, yes? I'll be entering Macau on a blue card, as I'll be working there for a few months. Would that affect anything?

And now it looks like my travel days will be moving up to December, and more trips, so I might have a few times to try different options.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only issue I see with the HKG route is that if I miss the airport ferry, I'd have to go through Hong Kong immigration, yes?
Yes.

I'll be entering Macau on a blue card, as I'll be working there for a few months. Would that affect anything?
No.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
OP, please tell me you're travelling in J?

I can't believe anyone on this forum would even recommend UA for SFO-HKG in econ

Infamous service aside, it still amaze me how they still never bothered to install individual IFE's up to this day.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
I can't believe anyone on this forum would even recommend UA for SFO-HKG in econ
OP in fact listed that as one of the options.

Also - PQD can pretty much conclude the whole issue.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
OP, please tell me you're travelling in J?
Sadly, I will be traveling in econ.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but the the project got delayed and I'm only going to be heading out now in Feb. However, I'll now be leaving from Toronto.

New options are:

1) YYZ -> HKG on AC, maybe with stopover in YVR
2) YYZ -> TPE -> MFM on EVA

J class now as well, thankfully. So really it's about who has the better upfront experience between AC and EVA.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely on BR (Option #2).

J class is not all about in-flight experience, but lounges (TPE) as well.

Beside - I hate AC B77W HD regardless cabins of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.