Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong/China in November 4 for 5 days, budget lodgingg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:28 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't find Sheung Wan to be all that horrible, either, and the price at the Ibis can be just right if you find the right deal. It's close to the ferry terminal and some interesting places to eat, like the ABC Kitchen at Queen Street Cooked Food Market and Lin Heung Kui, as well as the Western Market. It's not like you're in a complete industrial area...
Sheung Wan is relatively laid-back, and my favorite part about that neighborhood is the large presence of Chinese medicinal shops (and IIRC, it's near the overpriced but tempting Gateway market).

However, there's nothing to see at Western Market.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
[QUOTE=WillTravel;23557198]Take a look at my recent thread if you like. I am also traveling with a female friend. We wanted to be sure of getting two beds (a smallish double bed would have been quite awful), and when looking through the various options, we saw a lot of "double" rooms that basically had a smallish double bed, a miniscule bathroom, and almost zero space for suitcases. After being alerted on this forum and doing some reading, we also wanted a place that was not a fire trap. You may come up with some better deals during your stay -- our stay seems to perhaps be at a more expensive time. Take a look at these options:

http://www.yha.org.hk/eng/meihohouse/ (We found a better deal by using a Travelocity discount code for a twin room. The twin room is relatively spacious and the place is modernized with good facilities. Look at the reviews. That said, we haven't stayed here yet.)

http://www.olinorwell.com/how-to-vis...rom-hong-kong/

The Mei Ho house looks as good as you would get at BP Intl House Note BP is owned by the HK Scout Association (no alcohol, no bar) The Mei Ho location is in North Kowloon in a working class area but if the rooms are clean and you are out all day and it has internet , who needs the Shangrila
You will need an Octpopus card to get around on the subway and buses
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:39 am

Maybe should start a new thread but have you considered airbnb?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:20 am

Butterfly on Hollywood in sheung wan is nice and very well located to restaurants and subway
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:28 am

There's a hostel in OCT Nanshan called The Loft Youth Hostel. Great owners. Great location. Convenient to shopping, food, public transportation and cheap. http://www.yhachina.com/ls.php?id=63&hostID=2
I wouldn't suggest going back and fourth from HK to China. Going once is tiring enough but daily would be exhausting. Don't stay in louhu. Stay in Futian, Nanshan or Shekou
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:04 am

Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East is suitable for you.
The price is reasonable, just $100 USD per night include breakfast.
The hotel is very near to the MTR station, and very near to several big shopping mall.
If you want to go to The Peak, Tsim Tsa Tsui or Mong Kok, just use 30-45 minutes to the destination. You can have a better travel route so that you wont waste the time for the transportation.
I am a Hong Kong local people. If you have some questions on the hotel, transportation, or place to visit, just tell me.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hkdickson
Holiday Inn Express Hong Kong Kowloon East is suitable for you.
The price is reasonable, just $100 USD per night include breakfast.
The hotel is very near to the MTR station, and very near to several big shopping mall.
If you want to go to The Peak, Tsim Tsa Tsui or Mong Kok, just use 30-45 minutes to the destination. You can have a better travel route so that you wont waste the time for the transportation.
I am a Hong Kong local people. If you have some questions on the hotel, transportation, or place to visit, just tell me.
That place is way too far out IMO (to put things in perspective, we are complaining about Sheungwan being inconvenient here; "Kowloon East" raises that bar to a new level). I still think that her original list (in the OP) is pretty solid.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

I can report back on YHA Mei Ho House Hostel. The twin room looks exactly like this (we had two different rooms):
http://www.yha.org.hk/eng/meihohouse..._room_standard

It's clean, simply furnished, with a minimalist modern look. The twin beds are comfortable enough. You get housekeeping every 3 days. There is a kettle. The room is definitely on the spacious side for Hong Kong (25 m^2).

The bathroom is in good condition and everything works well, with a comfortably sized shower stall. You have access to a self-serve laundry and microwave. The included breakfast is simple, and offers three options (Chinese, Hong Kong, and Western). Its value is listed as about 30 HKD, and I think it's worth that.

You will end up taking the MTR a lot, of course. But my feeling is that unless you are staying right at TST or Central or Admiralty, you will have to take public transport a lot anyway, and the extra few minutes from Sham Shui Po as opposed to say Mong Kok doesn't really matter, once you have done the work of getting into (and then out of) the MTR.

I liked the Sham Shui Po neighborhood. Lots of interest in the small shops and markets and shopping malls.

The fact that this place has hostel in the name undoubtedly keeps some people away, which is probably just as well, as it is a fantastic deal if you want something other than a dingy cell to sleep in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.