Search

Easy-Cheap MR Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Easy-Cheap MR Hotel

SO arrives on MR HKG at 6p with a 1p departure next day.

Criteria- fast and easy from airport / $75-$150 / cheap/free internet / moderate food availability

she figures she will sleep and shower

What is best bet

THANKS
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Nothing near the airport in that budget. Quite a few choices in the city - like the Ibis. Hotels are pricey, so not going to get anything particular nice. Do a search on this forum for recommendations.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 am

Prices can also vary hugely by date. Check wotif.com, and lmtclub.com (using a promo code to join for free - FALL2014 is the latest one I know about). There's also bidding on Priceline or using Priceline Express or Hotwire.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by alhcfp

Criteria- fast and easy from airport / $75-$150 / cheap/free internet / moderate food availability

What is best bet

THANKS
With all due respect, what you're asking for is kind of like asking for a $100-150 four to five star hotel in Manhattan.

Hong Kong is one of the most expensive hotel markets on the planet, you're at the low end of the range for decent hotels.

WillTravel's suggestions are probably the best way to work with a limited budget, but be careful about bidding zones- some of them won't be as convenient to the MRT/Airport Express (which is probably what you want if you're pinching pennies, instead of a taxi), especially East Kowloon or anything out towards Aberdeen. The Ibis Sheung Wan that I believe rkkwan is mentioning does have a Cityflyer bus stop nearby (A11) that makes it pretty convenient from the airport, but is a bit of a walk from the MRT Sheung Wan station. The Ibis North Point is somewhat less convenient to the airport (but is accordingly cheaper, it's on the A11 as well, but at the END of the line, Sheung Wan is the first stop on Hong Kong Island).

The problem with opaque bidding is, of course, that you might not get free wifi... but you might find it your only option at that price point (or end up in a dodgier place with free wifi).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for replies...was not asking for 4 or 5 star just moderate

Can get Gold Coast for $90 plus taxi for $250HK each way

Is this reasonable?...reviews seem OK

Thanks again
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:53 pm

FWIW, last month, we got a 3* in Tsim Tsa Tsui via Priceline Express. We tried but didn't have much luck with bidding as the total cost of our latter bids ended up more expensive than the Express Deals. It ended up being $80 plus another $15 for taxes and fees. We got the Acesite Knudson which did the trick for essentially an overnight stay before a connection the next day. It's somewhat identifiable in that it has a pool. One problem is that although the opaque bidding amenities said it had free internet, the problem was that it was only available in the lobby. [The annoying thing is that we also got the Cosmopolitan via Priceline Express that showed free Internet but was mainly available in the lobby too; though it seemed you could tether off of a complimentary cell phone in the room (?!?).]

The MTR Airport express is quick but we took a bus that was cheaper but took longer of course yet got us closer to the hotel than the MTR station.

Hotel Prices around the airport were insane so we used that as a free rebid zone. "Kwai Tsing - Tising Yi - Tsuen Wan" zone was cheap and closer to the hotel but the zone was so big we didn't feel comfortable where we might end up vs Mongkok, Jordan, or Tsim Tsa Tsui.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for replies...was not asking for 4 or 5 star just moderate

Can get Gold Coast for $90 plus taxi for $250HK each way

Is this reasonable?...reviews seem OK

Thanks again
It's OK, since it sounds like your SO just want rest and not care about seeing the city or doing anything. It's a nice property with a marina, small mall with several restaurants adjacent to the hotel.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
It's OK, since it sounds like your SO just want rest and not care about seeing the city or doing anything. It's a nice property with a marina, small mall with several restaurants adjacent to the hotel.
Thank You RKKWAN

Thats what I needed to know
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank You RKKWAN

Thats what I needed to know
There's also a direct coach service between Gold Coast and HKG. Many flight attendants live in the residential blocks of the Gold Coast. Not sure about cost for hotel guests, but definitely cheaper than taxi. Ask the hotel about fare and schedule. From HKG, the coach departs from the coach terminus at Terminal 2, just a short walk from the arrivals hall.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

There's also a direct coach service between Gold Coast and HKG. Many flight attendants live in the residential blocks of the Gold Coast. Not sure about cost for hotel guests, but definitely cheaper than taxi. Ask the hotel about fare and schedule. From HKG, the coach departs from the coach terminus at Terminal 2, just a short walk from the arrivals hall.
I emailed Gold Coast re- shuttles and here is their reply

Warmest Greetings from Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel.

Regarding the transportation from Airport to our Hotel, we are regret to inform you that we do not provide Airport Shuttle Bus service. The only transfer we provide is hotel limousine.

Limousine 4-Seater Mercedes Benz
The fare is HK$650 per car per trip. It takes around 30 Minutes. Be advice that maximum for 4 person and 2 standard size luggage.

Limousine MPV
The fare is HK$750 per car per trip. It takes around 30 Minutes. Be advice that maximum for 5 person and 3-4 standard size luggage.

There is some other way from Airport to Hotel.

Taxi
It takes around 30 Minutes and cost approximate HK$250. Be advice that maximum for 5 person and 3-4 standard size luggage.

Public Bus No E33
It takes around 1 Hour and cost HK$13.9 per person. End stop is Tuen Mun Town Centre. Then take the taxi around 10 minutes and cost HK$30.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Looks like they don't allow hotel guests on the residential coach service (only residents can buy the coach tickets at their club house), so I guess your SO have to take a taxi. Make sure to take a green "New Territories" one, which is cheaper than a red "urban" one.

And technically, if you want to be cheap and have no luggage, take the E33 bus but get off at the Tuen Mun Highway Bus Interchange (not Town Centre), and then go to the lower level and take 52X, 53 or 962B to Gold Coast. But there's still a short some from getting off bus to the hotel. Still going to take almost an hour. Really only if want to do it for cheap.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 18, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:04 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

What is best bet

THANKS
Not sure if this fully falls into your price-range, but I was able to get a Look no further Guarantee for the Sky City Marriott bringing the price down to HK$1006 including service fee. You cannot get a more convenient place than this on a MR as it is on airport proper. You won't see anything of the city, though, which is why I probably will not use my reservation and stay at the Sheraton on points this weekend...MR'ing there myself with 36 hours on the ground.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Interesting. Looks like they don't allow hotel guests on the residential coach service (only residents can buy the coach tickets at their club house), so I guess your SO have to take a taxi. Make sure to take a green "New Territories" one, which is cheaper than a red "urban" one.
Appreciate- she will take a taxi- thanks for tip

Originally Posted by djohannw
Not sure if this fully falls into your price-range, but I was able to get a Look no further Guarantee for the Sky City Marriott bringing the price down to HK$1006 including service fee. You cannot get a more convenient place than this on a MR as it is on airport proper.

Greetings - Dirk
Price is pretty good...I know nothing about marriott programs. Is this rate available 11/24?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Price is pretty good...I know nothing about marriott programs. Is this rate available 11/24?
Sadly not - my stay is for this weekend (11/22 for one night)...

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.