Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Visiting Hong Kong for the Sevens - some help please

Background - arriving on 27th leaving the following Tuesday
First time in Hong Kong
Attending Carbine Club lunch on the Friday and the rugby Sat & Sun
Staying in Causeway Bay
Want to experience as much as we can in the short time available.

Hopefully you can help with the following

Can we purchase Octopus cards in the airport and how much would you suggest we put on them? Mainly for travel purposes.

Do you know where the Carbine Club lunch is being held?
Spa suggestions for the ladies whilst the guys are at said lunch!

Is the cable car worth doing and are there restaurants at the top?

Any other tips for the rugby or indeed restaurant suggestions gladly received

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Octopus: yes; by default they cost $150 which is $50 deposit and $100 value; that's probably enough, you can top up at any MTR/7-Eleven if necessary. Don't use the Octopus for the Airport Express - buy separate group tickets for that.

Carbine Club: how can you be confirmed at a lunch that you don't know the location of?

Spas: what's your budget? (acceptable answers being HK$500-HK$5000 or so)

Cable car: do you mean the Peak Tram or the Ngong Ping360?

Rugby: if you're a kid (or a kid at heart) then it's best in the South Stand, but you'll need to be there VERY early to get a seat there; otherwise it's best in a corporate box. Without that then no specific tips.

Restaurants: cuisine? budget? HK has very many restaurants!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Will be there myself always a fun time in Hong Kong!

South stand is fun. Bring your drinking boots. You'll end up in Lan Kwai Fong at night. It is a great atmosphere!

Maybe see you out there!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
Octopus: yes; by default they cost $150 which is $50 deposit and $100 value; that's probably enough, you can top up at any MTR/7-Eleven if necessary. Don't use the Octopus for the Airport Express - buy separate group tickets for that.

Carbine Club: how can you be confirmed at a lunch that you don't know the location of?

Spas: what's your budget? (acceptable answers being HK$500-HK$5000 or so)

Cable car: do you mean the Peak Tram or the Ngong Ping360?

Rugby: if you're a kid (or a kid at heart) then it's best in the South Stand, but you'll need to be there VERY early to get a seat there; otherwise it's best in a corporate box. Without that then no specific tips.

Restaurants: cuisine? budget? HK has very many restaurants!
Christep
Reasonable questions
Carbine club
I am having comms issues with my contact in HK so, even though I know it will be organised when we arrive, I am trying to forward plan for the girls spa treatments. Would be handy if we were all close, hence my question. Mid range spa treatments around 200GBP

I meant the ngong ping360, actually didn't know there were two. As I said it's our first time

Definitely a kid at heart. Will a few arriving early in south stand be able to hold seats for later arrivals?

Cuisine - definitely local. Not requiring Michelin star after a day at the rugby but a decent example of Hong Kong cuisine. Mid range price.

Thanks for your help, hopefully that's clearer.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MickV

South stand is fun. Bring your drinking boots. You'll end up in Lan Kwai Fong at night.
Boots already packed!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sparky17
I am having comms issues with my contact in HK so, even though I know it will be organised when we arrive, I am trying to forward plan for the girls spa treatments. Would be handy if we were all close, hence my question. Mid range spa treatments around 200GBP
If you're really into the spa thing, a quick visit to Shenzhen is worthy of consideration.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Up in Ngong Ping, you can have vegetarian meal at Po Lin Monastery, or there are a few restaurants - various cuisine, vegetarian and non-vegetarian near the Cable Car station.

The term "cable car" means various things in different parts of the world. NP360 is an aerial tramway. Peak Tram is a funicular. There are also a pair of aerial tramways at Ocean Park.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Can we purchase Octopus cards in the airport and how much would you suggest we put on them? Mainly for travel purposes.
Even as a native Hong Konger, I find it more convenient to use my Octopus Card at stores like 7-11 than using cash as I don't have to fumble around for change. I'd imagine as a visitor it would be even more convenient as you maybe unfamiliar with the various coins/bills. Anyway, don't just limit yourself to using it for transport.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:18 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Even as a native Hong Konger, I find it more convenient to use my Octopus Card at stores like 7-11 than using cash as I don't have to fumble around for change. I'd imagine as a visitor it would be even more convenient as you maybe unfamiliar with the various coins/bills. Anyway, don't just limit yourself to using it for transport.
Yea - if you are going to any (well, most) fast food restaurants, you can use the Octopus Card to pay for food as well.

For local Cantonese cuisine, go for a lunch at Tai Hing in Causeway Bay and get a few of their roasts/barbecued pork rice dishes. Good value.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:17 am
Suspended

Definitely a kid at heart. Will a few arriving early in south stand be able to hold seats for later arrivals?
No, not in the South Stand - it's first come first served and then there's a (long) line. If you leave the Stand for any reason you can only get back in via the queue.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by christep
Like OP i'm a newbie to HKG heading out there this month. This is the first i have heard of buying Airport express separately. Is there a penalty if you use if for Airport Express?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by thehoax
Like OP i'm a newbie to HKG heading out there this month. This is the first i have heard of buying Airport express separately. Is there a penalty if you use if for Airport Express?
The one way single person fare is HK$100, ticket or Octapus.

If there is more than two of you buying a "group" ticket would yield savings for multiple passenger ticket. Check the MTR AE website.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
The one way single person fare is HK$100, ticket or Octapus.

If there is more than two of you buying a "group" ticket would yield savings for multiple passenger ticket. Check the MTR AE website.
Specifically, here: http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/whatsnew/p..._4persons.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.