Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Customs Needed for International Flight Transfers at Hong Kong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customs Needed for International Flight Transfers at Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance, ThankYou, CO, UA
Question Customs Needed for International Flight Transfers at Hong Kong?

A friend and I are taking a tour of Asia. We are planning to travel to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK), Hong Kong (HKG) , and Sanya, China (SYX) for a wedding.

If we were to travel from BKK to SYX via two international flights (BKK to HKG, HKG to SYX), do we need to exit the terminal for customs or can we simply transfer quickly? What is the customs protocol for international flight transfers?

Last edited by Munna2002; Feb 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Assuming that you're actually flying BKK-HKG-SYX in one go, then are your bags being checked through from BKK to SYX?
If yes, then you don't need to enter HK and will simply stay airside in the airport. You will need to go through security after arrival as arriving and departing passengers are kept separate.
If the bags are being checked only to HK, then you'll need to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then re-check.

Btw, this would have been better asked in the Hong Kong forum for future reference.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Munna2002
If we were to travel from BKK to SYX via two international flights (BKK to HKG, HKG to SYX), do we need to exit the terminal for customs or can we simply transfer quickly? What is the customs protocol for international flight transfers?
Assuming that your luggage is tagged through to Sanya when you check in at Bangkok, then you won't need to clear immigration or customs at Hong Kong.

Whether you can transfer quickly is another thing. In my experience the security check when you transfer at Hong Kong can be quite slow (on one occasion it took an hour this does not include walking time from arrival gate to security and from security to departure gate). Therefore, make sure you have plenty of time between flights.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance, ThankYou, CO, UA
Originally Posted by Christopher
Assuming that your luggage is tagged through to Sanya when you check in at Bangkok, then you won't need to clear immigration or customs at Hong Kong.

Whether you can transfer quickly is another thing. In my experience the security check when you transfer at Hong Kong can be quite slow (on one occasion it took an hour this does not include walking time from arrival gate to security and from security to departure gate). Therefore, make sure you have plenty of time between flights.
Thanks for your invaluable feedback. I wasn't sure where the HK forum was so if a moderator can move that'd be great. (Also, sorry about the several days comment in HK - I edited it out as we are not doing that).

How do Guangzhou transfers compare? I found that Guangzhou also goes into SYX from BKK.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How do Guangzhou transfers compare? I found that Guangzhou also goes into SYX from BKK.
Simply horrible, perhaps the polar opposite of HKG.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:23 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Travel->Hong Kong forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold

Whether you can transfer quickly is another thing. In my experience the security check when you transfer at Hong Kong can be quite slow (on one occasion it took an hour – this does not include walking time from arrival gate to security and from security to departure gate). Therefore, make sure you have plenty of time between flights.
It really varies (in Christopher's case, possibly due to sudden surge in passengers arriving) but generally, transit security is pretty quick - as with almost all aspects of HKG. If you have a tight connection, often airline staff will whisk you through security.

As mentioned by moondog, CAN is significantly less efficient than HKG. You'll also face notoriously frequent delays due to ATC, especially since CAN-SYX is domestic.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
As mentioned by moondog, CAN is significantly less efficient than HKG. You'll also face notoriously frequent delays due to ATC, especially since CAN-SYX is domestic.
Also, wouldn't immigration/customs formalities entering China be handled at CAN on such an itinerary? That going to increase both the average processing time, as well as the variability.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Steve M
Also, wouldn't immigration/customs formalities entering China be handled at CAN on such an itinerary? That going to increase both the average processing time, as well as the variability.
Yes formalities would be handled at CAN and bags would have to be picked up, go through Customs, and then up to recheck for domestic flight. I strongly recommend this traveller stick with the BKK-HKG-SYX routing.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes formalities would be handled at CAN and bags would have to be picked up, go through Customs, and then up to recheck for domestic flight. I strongly recommend this traveller stick with the BKK-HKG-SYX routing.
While I couldn't agree more, it the last time I looked at this thread, it occurred to be that CZ tends to substantially cheaper than KA. I think all of us could be compelled to transit via CAN if we were paid X to do so (where X varies from person to person).
Old Feb 15, 2011, 2:38 pm

In my experience the security check when you transfer at Hong Kong can be quite slow (on one occasion it took an hour this does not include walking time from arrival gate to security and from security to departure gate). Therefore, make sure you have plenty of time between flights.
Were you going to the US? I thought security checks to other destinations are much lighter than going to the US.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vash
Were you going to the US? I thought security checks to other destinations are much lighter than going to the US.
That's at the boarding gate only.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: OnePass - Platinum, MileagePlus - 1K (Linked)
19 cigarettes!!

I'm flying EWR - HKG - MNL. I tried to buy some cigarettes in EWR. The duty free sales people didn't want to sell the five cartons to me. They told me that I would only be allowed to have 19 cigarettes for HKG. I thought this couldn't be right as I am transiting immediately to another flight to MNL. I don't intend on going through customs. Can anyone confirm what the case should be? I can't imagine they'd be checking how many cigarettes I have as I get off the plane, walk to a transit desk, go through security screening, and head to my new gate. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by gumflyer
I'm flying EWR - HKG - MNL. I tried to buy some cigarettes in EWR. The duty free sales people didn't want to sell the five cartons to me. They told me that I would only be allowed to have 19 cigarettes for HKG. I thought this couldn't be right as I am transiting immediately to another flight to MNL. I don't intend on going through customs. Can anyone confirm what the case should be? I can't imagine they'd be checking how many cigarettes I have as I get off the plane, walk to a transit desk, go through security screening, and head to my new gate. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You're technically correct. But say in case you miss your connection and have to spend the night in HK proper... And are the cigarettes you're buying that much cheaper, or only available, in EWR as compared to HKG or onboard? EWR-HKG or HKG-MNL?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: OnePass - Platinum, MileagePlus - 1K (Linked)
cheaper? yeah.

In EWR, the five carton pack was like $140. A carton holds ten packs and a pack can cost $7.00. So a five carton pack can cost $350. I just don't understand why the Duty Free people gave me such a hard time. I wasn't going through customs. I doubt they understood the entire situation and they had no desire to hear it either. I almost asked them if they had ever been to Hong Kong or transited through Hong Kong. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.