Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Frequent Traveler Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
Hong Kong Frequent Traveler Card

Sorry, searched for this in this forum but I couldn't find anything.

I've been meaning to apply for this card as I enter/exit HK dozens of times each year. Does anyone have experience with this card? Does it only work for the airport or does it also work at other immigration checks like Lo Wu, Futian, etc?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It only works at the airport.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Just an additional wrinkle to this.

Once you are approved for the Frequent Traveler Card (issued by the Airport Authority), you can then approach HK Immigration at the Airport to be given e-Channel access (there's a booth to apply right after seeing the immigration officer but before you proceed to the carousel to retrieve your luggage). These are the electronically operated gates that HK residents can operate with their ID cards. Once approved, you would get a barcode that's stuck onto the (outside) back cover of your passport that a scanner attached to the e-Channel turnstile will read.

My point in bringing this up is that although e-Channel access for foreigners at HKIA is definitely ok, not so clear whether or not e-Channels elsewhere (say overland at Lo Wu checkpoint) is ok. But it seems to me that perhaps it might be expanded in which case you would be all set. In the meantime being able to go through the e-Channel at HKIA beats having to stand in line with all the other people. For more info check http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...l/echannel.htm I think that there are other threads that pertain to applying for e-Channel access in other threads.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have the card and it works great at HKIA.

It works for both outbound and inbound immigration, but I find that since they moved outbound immigration to after security, the lines are much shorter than they used to be.

It would be great if it could work at security too, but I don't think it does.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
Just an additional wrinkle to this.

Once you are approved for the Frequent Traveler Card (issued by the Airport Authority), you can then approach HK Immigration at the Airport to be given e-Channel access (there's a booth to apply right after seeing the immigration officer but before you proceed to the carousel to retrieve your luggage). These are the electronically operated gates that HK residents can operate with their ID cards. Once approved, you would get a barcode that's stuck onto the (outside) back cover of your passport that a scanner attached to the e-Channel turnstile will read.

My point in bringing this up is that although e-Channel access for foreigners at HKIA is definitely ok, not so clear whether or not e-Channels elsewhere (say overland at Lo Wu checkpoint) is ok. But it seems to me that perhaps it might be expanded in which case you would be all set. In the meantime being able to go through the e-Channel at HKIA beats having to stand in line with all the other people. For more info check http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...l/echannel.htm I think that there are other threads that pertain to applying for e-Channel access in other threads.
Thanks for the info. The past 2 times I arrived at HKG, that little station after the immigration clearance has been closed since I arrived after 10:30 p.m. When departing HKG, I asked one of the attendants at an info booth on the departures level about the e-Channel application and she said you can only apply at the arrivals level.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by popfly
Thanks for the info. The past 2 times I arrived at HKG, that little station after the immigration clearance has been closed since I arrived after 10:30 p.m. When departing HKG, I asked one of the attendants at an info booth on the departures level about the e-Channel application and she said you can only apply at the arrivals level.
I did a transit once in HK and applied for the e-channel clearance, and went back upstairs to the transit area. I was told that there is 2 counters for application. One is after you clear immigration and another before the immigration counter. You may wish to explore on your next trip to HK.

On a separate note, does anyone knows if there is an expiry for the e-channel sticker pasted on the passport? The validity of my current Frequent Visitor Card will expire on May 2010 and I have not clocked up 6 visits in the last 2 years. Does that mean that my e-channel privilege will end in May 2010 as well?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:38 am

What is the cost of this card?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SirJman
What is the cost of this card?
Free, if you can document the required number of entires into and out of HK within the prescribed period.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Free, if you can document the required number of entires into and out of HK within the prescribed period.
Which is 6 times in 24 months?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Or Member Identification of Linked Frequent Flyer Program. e.g. CX MPC and JAL JMB

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/20041216.htm#fv
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Which is 6 times in 24 months?
3 entries in 12 months.

More info and application can be found at Frequent Visitor Channel website.

Last edited by kitsura; Feb 11, 2010 at 8:02 pm Reason: Insert website info
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by kitsura
3 entries in 12 months.

More info and application can be found at Frequent Visitor Channel website.
Thats not that 'Frequent' at all. I just applied. How long did it take you to receive the card? I know the form said it should take 8 weeks, but is there a more realistic time-frame? I hope they accept my photos for my info page, and stamps rather than the 'photocopy' that they request.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hclee01

On a separate note, does anyone knows if there is an expiry for the e-channel sticker pasted on the passport? The validity of my current Frequent Visitor Card will expire on May 2010 and I have not clocked up 6 visits in the last 2 years. Does that mean that my e-channel privilege will end in May 2010 as well?
I was told that the e-Channel authority is linked to the validity period of the FTC, so yes, that means expiration in May 2010. Hopefully if you have accumulated enough entries to Hong Kong via HKIA by May the renewal will be automatic and thus e-Channel renewal will be extended as well.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:39 am

I just applied. How long did it take you to receive the card? I know the form said it should take 8 weeks, but is there a more realistic time-frame?
I vaguely recall that I got mine in about four weeks, but not entirely certain. However, I'm fairly confident it didn't take eight weeks.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Thats not that 'Frequent' at all. I just applied. How long did it take you to receive the card? I know the form said it should take 8 weeks, but is there a more realistic time-frame? I hope they accept my photos for my info page, and stamps rather than the 'photocopy' that they request.
Based on anecdotal evidence I would say more than 2 weeks but less than 6 weeks. They've accepted photos and scanned softcopies of passport stamps before but then the photos would have to clearly show the entry dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.