Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tips

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by bbelovic
Just curious - if one actually is looking to buy a knock-off watch (fake Rolex or whatever), what would be a suggestion in the case? Is this exactly where you want to go, or are some places better than other?

Have an upcoming trip to HKG (and SIN, so that may be another place to look) and a friend has actually asked me to get one if I run into it.
Being in ORD, I can't imagine you (or anyone) having a problem buying knock-offs in your own city.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:52 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Being in ORD, I can't imagine you (or anyone) having a problem buying knock-offs in your own city.
Should be cheaper as its closer to the source.

Similar to buying heroin in the golden triangle or cocaine in Columbia.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by thursday
not sure if that's still around. I'll give it a check next time I go.

My fav used to be Wan Kee. just for the name. And it's at the end of the row, so less noise.

If you want good fresh seafood, you really have to go to the ones with a high turnover. That ensures the freshest. Hence Rainbow is so popular. And they have a variety unmatched on Lamma.
I haven't been to HK in a while, but my friend who lives there but is in the US for school recently went over Winter break. Fu Kee is still around. Most of the restaurants have fresh seafood, however, I think with restaurants like Rainbow, is although they have high turnaround, it is the quality of the food that suffers in the end, and its a lot less personable, and the experience can be a little less 'authentic,' as they cater to a much more touristy crowd.

Man I do miss the old women playing Maj Jong on Sundays in the empty restaurant right off the original ferry pier.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Braindrain
At least the more "honest" knock-off sellers will admit that you aren't really buying a GENUINE Rolex for $50.00. (As if you couldn't tell.)

If you want to haggle on the street and manage get the price down to a low $20.00 or so, you'll still be paying about $18 too much.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by UAL747fan
I haven't been to HK in a while, but my friend who lives there but is in the US for school recently went over Winter break. Fu Kee is still around. Most of the restaurants have fresh seafood, however, I think with restaurants like Rainbow, is although they have high turnaround, it is the quality of the food that suffers in the end, and its a lot less personable, and the experience can be a little less 'authentic,' as they cater to a much more touristy crowd.

Man I do miss the old women playing Maj Jong on Sundays in the empty restaurant right off the original ferry pier.
I'm a local. And everytime we buncha locals take the junk out to lamma, it's Rainbow. It's even authentic with some gweilo dishes available for the adventurous gweilo.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: MPC
Originally Posted by bbelovic
Just curious - if one actually is looking to buy a knock-off watch (fake Rolex or whatever), what would be a suggestion in the case? Is this exactly where you want to go, or are some places better than other?

Have an upcoming trip to HKG (and SIN, so that may be another place to look) and a friend has actually asked me to get one if I run into it.
Go have a nice curry lunch in Chungking Mansions. As soon as you show your (white?) face, you'll get offered watches, suits, shoes, hos, etc from the SE Asian IIs.

Have lunch first, 'cos you don't want to rush your purchase for a hungry stomach.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Go have a nice curry lunch in Chungking Mansions. As soon as you show your (white?) face, you'll get offered watches, suits, shoes, hos, etc from the SE Asian IIs.

Have lunch first, 'cos you don't want to rush your purchase for a hungry stomach.
LOL. Thanks for the advice!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Allan38103
If you want to haggle on the street and manage get the price down to a low $20.00 or so, you'll still be paying about $18 too much.
Personally, I think you'd be paying $20 too much.

However, HK isn't really as cheap as most people think it is.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:03 am

I'm a local. And everytime we buncha locals take the junk out to lamma, it's Rainbow. It's even authentic with some gweilo dishes available for the adventurous gweilo.
To each his own I guess, I lived in HK for almost 20 years, I've been to Rainbow, and other's on Lamma Island, and Fu Kee has consistently been the best in my opinion. Clients and the family loved going out on the junk and eating at Fu Kee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.