Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

I want to propose to her in HK, but where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to propose to her in HK, but where?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
I like the Hutong or Star Ferry option. I enjoyed Hutong and found it unique. As for the Star Ferry, I'd imagine it will be around longer than any of us and think it's the best thing to do in HK. Good luck!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lance1713
As for the Star Ferry, I'd imagine it will be around longer than any of us and think it's the best thing to do in HK. Good luck!
Yea, but its last iteration in the future, the Ferry will be parked with the bow in Central and the stern in Kowloon. You will "ride" it by walking from one end to the other.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Late and maybe too crowded but how about booking a table at the Peak Lookout, that overlooks the Southside of the Island and propose at sunset? or maybe a windowside table at the (supposedly - never tried it myself) stunning Chinese/dim sum place on the peak that has a stunning view of the harbor?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
If you want to do it in Star Ferry try the Star Ferry Pier / Bus Terminus / Clock Tower on the Kowloon side as that will be a dramatic changes in 2010...bus terminus will be gone, pier will re-locate to near China Harbour City...etc...another long HK history icon will be gone...!

If you want to file an petition to against it, please visit this web site:
http://www.ourbusterminal.org/

I'll feed some older news for your reference, just in case some of you didn't know the history of it...

Star Ferry and MTR see drop in ratings Commuters happiest with feeder buses
4 September 2009
South China Morning Post

Commuters' satisfaction rate with MTR urban lines and the Star Ferry have dropped more than 10 per cent in the past two years, according to a recent survey.

But the MTR still ranked second among nine transport operators, as commuters embraced the service on routes of the former Kowloon-Canton Railway network, now part of the MTR Corp.

The Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong interviewed 1,421 commuters last month for their views on the nine major transport providers.

The MTR's feeder bus system topped the list.

The Star Ferry dropped to sixth place, while New World First Ferry Services remained at the bottom of the list for a second year.

The party's deputy transport spokesman Chan Hok-fung said commuters complained about First Ferry's poor hygiene, comfort levels and high fares.

"Ninety per cent of our respondents said they only take First ferries because they have no other choice," the Central and Western district councillor said.

"That shows how monopolies can lead to substandard services."

Ferries are the only transport option for outlying island residents.

As for the Star Ferry, Chan believed moving its Central pier to the outlying island pier was the reason for its low score.

The survey found convenience was the main factor when it came to choosing a transport system.

One third of respondents said they chose a particular mode of transport because they had no other options, while 13.5 per cent said their choice was based on cost.

The MTR feeder bus system was deemed the most satisfactory transport option because of its convenience and because some of the buses are free.

But the MTR - despite being the second-most popular - dropped about 10 points from the last survey because commuters are unhappy with both transit arrangements and the fare structure for the new Kowloon Southern Link.

"As Hung Hom is now the terminal station for West Rail and not East Rail; East Rail passengers who wish to cross the harbour must switch trains in Hung Hom, travel one stop and then walk a long way before they can reach the urban lines," Chan said.

He urged the MTR to consider adopting a 3+1 model, meaning one of every four East Rail trains would stop at Tsim Sha Tsui East station instead of Hung Hom.

The MTR Corp said that model - now in practice on the Tsueng Kwan O Lohas Park extension - was not feasible for East Rail and West Rail for technical and operational reasons.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:18 am

Star Ferry is more than a tourist attraction to Hong Kong people
6 July 2009
SCMP

I refer to the letter by Winifred Chung, for the Commissioner for Tourism ("Piazza will be public space for all to enjoy", June 27) replying to the letter by Charlie Chan Wing-tai ("Iconic Star Ferry will suffer if bus terminal is relocated", June 20).

Charlie Chan must accept that what matters these days is not what ordinary Hong Kong people want or like. The Star Ferry has a special place in our hearts but the government is hell-bent on eliminating its role as a public transport system and converting it into a mere tourist attraction.

This is demonstrated by a number of measures. The original Central Star Ferry pier, so convenient to reach, was eliminated and the ferry service moved to its current out-of-the-way location. Plans are afoot to extend the elephantine Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre onto the Wan Chai pier bus station. This will certainly affect passenger flow on that route. Further erosion of passenger numbers will be inevitable if proposals to place a commercial helipad on Golden Bauhinia Square go through.

In Tsim Sha Tsui, the bus terminal that since 1921 has allowed convenient interchange between bus and ferry services for thousands of daily commuters is to be moved to Tsim Sha Tsui East, miles away. Why? To make a piazza for tourists. Never mind that a long expanse of the harbourfront is already dedicated to tourists via the Avenue of the Stars.

Objections on the part of Hong Kong people to restrictions on access to Star Ferry services are met with the "It's the economy, stupid" argument. Whatever the Tourism Commission rightly or wrongly feels will appeal to tourists takes precedence over the interests of Hong Kong citizens. Ms Chung puts it that because the bus terminus has been extensively altered it has no heritage value. This completely ignores the convenience and sentiments of local people. Why has the commission taken over town planning to override our interests and pander to tourists?

Perhaps the government's majority shareholding in the MTR, a much more expensive and stressful form of transport, is behind the push to marginalise the ferry service? Whatever, local people are once again the losers.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:20 am

TST piazza to include 5-storey shopping mall
18 June 2008
South China Morning Post

A tenth of the multi-purpose piazza proposed for the site of the bus terminus in Tsim Sha Tsui will be turned into a shopping mall, with buildings up to five storeys high occupying 1,000 square metres.

A Commerce and Economic Development Bureau spokesman said the site could be used for commercial purposes, depending on public opinion. But the government said the proposal would not be finalised until early next year.

According to a bureau paper submitted to the Legislative Council, buildings up to 15 metres high will occupy not more than 10 per cent of the proposed piazza. It had been touted as an open, "multi-purpose" space.

Greg Wong Chak-yan, a member of the government's Harbourfront Enhancement Committee, said the site could generate up to HK$1 million a month in revenue for the government. But he was concerned the government might bear risks if management of the piazza was contracted out to the private sector.

Paul Zimmerman, a founding member of Designing Hong Kong, said it would be a good idea to provide refreshment services for tourists, but the site did not need shops.

After a round of consultation launched in October it was generally agreed the proposed Tsim Sha Tsui piazza, near the Avenue of Stars, Cultural Centre and major shopping malls, should have seating, a green environment with shade, a cafe and a fountain.

Under the government's latest proposal, the existing Star Ferry Pier, the clock tower and the five flag poles will not be affected and there will be landscaping with trees, greenery, lawn areas and seating. It will also provide open space for public activities like concerts, art exhibitions or outdoor carnivals such as the New Year countdown.

The design of the piazza will be decided by an open design competition that will start early next year, at the earliest.

The government will also ask for suitable arrangements to be made for locals and visitors to take buses or taxis to and from the ferry pier to the future public transport interchange.

The Transport Department plans to build a new turnaround at Salisbury Road outside the Cultural Centre, with eight bus stops and a taxi stand, to maintain smooth traffic flow in the area. The construction of the new turnaround will start next year and end in 2010.

The Legislative Council's economic development panel will discuss the piazza plans on Monday.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by jrsmooth
Well as titled, any insights and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Both of us are Chinese native, and she probably would appreciate a restaurant overlooking the harbor. Thanks!
Just wondering...any developments on this?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by SLC-YYZ
Just wondering...any developments on this?
Unfortunately, the OP actually read this thread and proposed at a McD. She said "No".

Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Maybe she didn't see the ring inside the happy meal toy?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:56 pm

quite an amusing thread.

any luck?

my choices would have been Spoon or Nobu in TST.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
If you want to do it in Star Ferry try the Star Ferry Pier / Bus Terminus / Clock Tower on the Kowloon side as that will be a dramatic changes in 2010...bus terminus will be gone, pier will re-locate to near China Harbour City...etc...another long HK history icon will be gone...!
I find it sad that the HK Govt'. is "modernizing" so much of what is charming about HK. Any idea what the government's rationale is on not preserving more of HK's history through these buildings? Just curious. I went to the guy's site and see a lot about the activities to save things (which I applaud) but not much on why it's happening.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by lance1713
Any idea what the government's rationale is on not preserving more of HK's history through these buildings?
As with anywhere in the world:

$$$$$$$$

The HKSAR government can make more money "modernising" things and then selling property, etc. In cahoots with big business, they can also put a stranglehold on smaller businesses. How many small, local businesses would one expect to see in a new mall by a new Star Ferry pier in TST?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
As with anywhere in the world:

$$$$$$$$

The HKSAR government can make more money "modernising" things and then selling property, etc. In cahoots with big business, they can also put a stranglehold on smaller businesses. How many small, local businesses would one expect to see in a new mall by a new Star Ferry pier in TST?
Sad, but true. I used to love the quirky little shops and cotton candy stand in the old Star Ferry terminal on the Island. I guess now I can probably shop at Giordano there! ;-)
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Depending on your budget... for high end and truly memorable. Book a suite at the Peninsula for one night - a harbor facing one. Arrange the view, propose and arrange to have a nice private dinner served en suite.

Other end of the spectrum... I don't think you can find a better view than the Peak. Take a picnic with some of her favorite foods. Spend a little bit of money on top shelf chocolates from Maison du Chocolat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.