Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:33 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SHIXIN
Can't redeemed by Q3FN
It sure can. I booked one.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:50 pm

Hello Mr. Shi,

Thank you for your message to Hilton Reservations and Customer Care. It is my pleasure to assist you today with your reservation.

The Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund is not accepting reward certificates at this time.

Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton and the Hilton Family Brand of Hotels.

We appreciate this opportunity to assist you and thank you for your continued loyalty! If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:08 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SHIXIN
The Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund is not accepting reward certificates at this time.
They accepted mine, but I seem to be the (lucky) exception.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:29 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
They accepted mine, but I seem to be the (lucky) exception.
I really think you should start getting some black and white that state you can use your Q3FN cert... as most of us who try to book using Q3FN with no luck.. hence there is a very high chance when you show up in your Dec trip for that 1 night stay will not accept your cert at check-in.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Did the hotel actually open on October 1?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Did the hotel actually open on October 1?
I was there on Friday evening (October 1st) hanging out at Longbar. The hotel itself did not appear to be open, but the downstairs bar/lounge was beautiful with great classic drinks.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks for the info. On the Hilton website, it looks like you can reserve a room. have reservations for next month so hope its really accepting guests.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
I really think you should start getting some black and white that state you can use your Q3FN cert... as most of us who try to book using Q3FN with no luck.. hence there is a very high chance when you show up in your Dec trip for that 1 night stay will not accept your cert at check-in.
If you have a confimation with the certificate code there should be no problem.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ghai-bund.html

SHIXIN, there are only 20 suites...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:57 pm

anyone stayed here yet?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:57 pm

Still looking to see if anyone has first hand knowledge of the place. No reviews seem to be posted anywhere on the net, and I figured this would be first place.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund Trip Report and Reviews

Stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund one week ago for one night using a Q3FN certificate and this is by far the best hotel I ever stayed.
I booked this stay a few months ago through the diamond desk, and I expressly requested to use a Q3FN instead of points.
I arrived at the hotel from the Maglev Station in about 40 minutes with a taxi, fare 50 RMB (be sure to ask the hotel to provide the hotel address in chinese because taxi drivers don't speak a single word in english). I had to get off the taxi 200 meters away because in front of the hotel there wasn't space to stop, but approaching the hotel I received promt help by the bellmen.
At the moment is open only the Waldorf Club in the historical 1911 building facing the Bund, and being this an historical building you will find the hotel name only on a small black marble plate near the door, and the WA sign on the entrance canopy. You have to climb a stair to reach the lobby. Check-in operations in a private desk, then I was introduced to my butler, a nice lady that escorded me and my wife to our suite and explained all the amenities available. I received a wonderful "Waldorf River Suite" on the 3rd floor with a living room and a bedroom both facing the river and the Bund, a walk-in closet, marble-finished bathroom with double vanity area, clawfoot bathtub and shower room, TV screen in the mirror. Large Hi Definition LCD flat screen TV with DVD player and a selection of DVD movies available in the living room.
The suites are located on the 3rd and 4th floors, on the 2nd floor there are the ballrooms and on the 5th floor there will be the chinese restaurant
Wei Jing Ge (during my visit the 5th floor was still closed due to work in progress). In the old building there are 20 suites, 10 each floor. They are divided in "Waldorf Suites", "Waldorf River Suites" and "Waldorf Deluxe River Suites". The suites facing the river are only 3 on each floor. During my stay there was a photo session, so I had the occasion to have a quick look into some of the suites while the photographer was working and I can say every one is a little jewel and is different from the other. The Deluxe river suites are only a little bigger that the standard river suites, and have a dining area, but some of the Waldorf Suites with no river view seems to be bigger than the river view suites. Today I found that the pictures taken by the photographer are online on the hotel website, but be assured that the reality is much better than the images.
Entering the building on the left side of the lobby floor there is the Long Bar, and on the right side the Salon de Ville (breakfast in the morning and afternoon tea) and the Pelham's restaurant.
As a Diamond member they offered me 1000 bonus points and discounts on beverages at the Long Bar and at the Pelham's restaurant.
The Long Bar is very nice and perfectly restored to its 1911 design. For a cocktail expect to pay about 11 USD and for a beer 7 USD. At the Pelham's restaurant for à la carte dinner expect an average of 60-80 USD including a glass of wine. The breakfast served in the Salon de Ville is à la carte and very formal: for a continental breakfast expect about 30 USD, for a full american breakfast more than 40. If you want to save some money within walking distance you can find a Starbucks.
On the back of the historical 1911 building of the Waldorf Astoria Club there is a courtyard and the new tower that will host the Waldorf Astoria hotel. It will have a new bigger entrance on a street on the back. During my stay there were still work in progress and I suppose that the new tower will not be ready until late january 2011.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the excellent post and details. Have reservations in two weeks and this is most helpful. First review I have seen anywhere. Was Maglev/taxi transfer easy?

Do you have an email address for the hotel to obtain the chinese characters for the taxi?

Any other suggestions for Shanghai?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by Aldebaran
The Long Bar is very nice and perfectly restored to its 1911 design. For a cocktail expect to pay about 11 USD and for a beer 7 USD. At the Pelham's restaurant for à la carte dinner expect an average of 60-80 USD including a glass of wine. The breakfast served in the Salon de Ville is à la carte and very formal: for a continental breakfast expect about 30 USD, for a full american breakfast more than 40. If you want to save some money within walking distance you can find a Starbucks.
The price is highly inflated. Smart travellers will alter this hotel. InterContinental, Westin, St. Regis would be much better choice.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (CCR), Cartafreccia, HH Diamond, Esselunga Fidaty Gold
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks for the excellent post and details. Have reservations in two weeks and this is most helpful. First review I have seen anywhere. Was Maglev/taxi transfer easy?

Do you have an email address for the hotel to obtain the chinese characters for the taxi?

Any other suggestions for Shanghai?
From the Maglev station the transfer is very easy: from the plattform take the escalator to the exit, then go to the left following the taxi sign, descend another escalator and you will reach the taxi stand.
From PVG airport a 7 minutes Maglev ride costs 50 RMB single and 80 return. If you want to save money (but no time) take the taxi from PVG or the metro green line to East Nanjing road then about ten minutes walk to the hotel or a 12 RMB taxi ride. Anyway I highly suggest the 430 km/h Maglev ride.
For the address PM your email and in the next days I will send you the chinese address.

Last edited by Aldebaran; Oct 29, 2010 at 3:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.