Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Schnit
If you spend at least $100 a quarter at Hilton keep both surpass as it's a money maker
Why $100?

$50 x quarter already hits $200 and is more than the annual fee.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Why $100?

$50 x quarter already hits $200 and is more than the annual fee.
Correct, and with 2 Surpass cards you would have $100 per quarter
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:39 am

Well, they finally did it.

They removed Priority Pass from the AMEX Hilton Business card and also removed FNC.

The additions aren't bad and worth taking advantage of for the current year, along with the Priority Pass to the renewal period. Unfortunately, I have no flights this year where I already don't have other lounge access.

The $60 per quarter spending at a Hilton property could be good. Have to find out more what charges will be included.

So there is now 5X spending on eligible purchases up to the first $100K in expenses. Maybe not a bad thing. That's 2.5% on some things where you would never get more than 1.5% even from other cards, such as Target, drug stores, and Home Depot / Lowes. I will have to think about this one, but probably an extra 2K spend on $3K is 6,000 points or $30. Probably time to kill this one off.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by VacationTravel; Mar 28, 2024 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:43 am

Also in the refresh thread
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Also in the refresh thread
Thanks. I'll put $60 on the card in Tokyo and then let it expire on renewal.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:41 pm

Anyone had luck doing carry out orders or dining in at a local Hilton property (without a room reservation), charging it to the card, and triggering the $50 Surpass quarterly credit?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
where did you get the Hilton GC online or at hotel locations
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Anyone had luck doing carry out orders or dining in at a local Hilton property (without a room reservation), charging it to the card, and triggering the $50 Surpass quarterly credit?

Yes, just did this last week at a local restaurant inside a Hilton. Charged less than $50 at the restaurant and received the Surpass credit for the same amount a few days later.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Check your Amex cards for a 3 month $0 fee Plan-It offer:. I have this on my Surpass and personal Platinum

Enjoy $0 Plan It fees on any 3 month plans you create now through 05/31/24. After 05/31/24, any new 3 month plans created will have a fixed monthly fee based on the plan fee in your Cardmember Agreement. Terms apply
FlyfromDenver likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mile_Hiker
Yes, just did this last week at a local restaurant inside a Hilton. Charged less than $50 at the restaurant and received the Surpass credit for the same amount a few days later.
so does not have to have room folio?
Old Apr 7, 2024, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mile_Hiker (Post # 1118)
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post # 1120)
Presumably that would be dependent on the restaurant billing with AmEx as a Hilton Hotel. If a third-party restaurant, one absolutely could not get the quarterly credit from such spend without billing to a room folio.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Correct. Not staying at the hotel, did not speak to the front desk, etc. Charge showed up on Amex as billed by Hilton Hotel.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:08 pm

Question on how to use the surpass hilton credit. I'll be staying at a hilton using FHR to get the 200 dollar FHR credit. Can i use my hilton surpass to pay for the resort fees or parking fees?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by tanlee07
Question on how to use the surpass hilton credit. I'll be staying at a hilton using FHR to get the 200 dollar FHR credit. Can i use my hilton surpass to pay for the resort fees or parking fees?
Basic Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card Members can receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits each calendar quarter (January through March, April through June, July through September, and October through December), for up to $200 back annually, for eligible purchases charged directly with a property within the Hilton portfolio on their Card Account, including bookings and incidental charges.

Looks like that would work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by tanlee07
When you check out, say "i'd like to charge $51 dollars to THIS card, and the rest to THIS card.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.