FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/931581-hilton-honors-surpass-card-american-express-formerly-called-ascend.html)

V9 May 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Nice! Is that 100K bonus?

Originally Posted by birdiedouble (Post 26564542)
As a point of reference:

Applied for the card: 4/10
Approved: 4/26 (Still unsure what the delay was caused by)
Received the card: 4/28
Met Spend: 4/28
Bonus Points Posted: 5/2

birdiedouble May 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by V9 (Post 26606558)
Nice! Is that 100K bonus?

Yep. Also bought a bucket of points on the 2x promo to help meet the spend. Already booked a reward stay in FL for a 5 night stay next Feb. I used 120,000 points for a Homewood Suites that is currently $299/night.

Also used the card at a Hampton last weekend and got my first Gold checkin with it. It was recognized and the guys behind the desk were telling my son what a savvy traveler I was because I put his name on a reservation I made so he could check in before I got to the hotel.

PaulMSN May 12, 2016 9:59 am

I got my upgrade 100K points today after meeting spend on May 7. That's pretty good.

Nicoleesq May 18, 2016 12:18 am

I'm new to AMEX and the HHonors Surpass, I signed up when it had the 100k bonus 3 weeks ago and it's been a disaster ever since. I had to call 5 times over 3 days, spoke to 17 customer reps to get my card activated. Now I got a fraud alert email, telling me to call customer service and I do. They told me there's nothing they can do to help me until AMEX CALLS ME to give me a code. Well I've received no call and the customer reps told me to try back later, maybe in about TWELVE HOURS. This is completely unacceptable.

Any ideas of what to do or how to make a complaint with AMEX??

LWT3 May 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoleesq (Post 26642712)
I'm new to AMEX and the HHonors Surpass, I signed up when it had the 100k bonus 3 weeks ago and it's been a disaster ever since. I had to call 5 times over 3 days, spoke to 17 customer reps to get my card activated. Now I got a fraud alert email, telling me to call customer service and I do. They told me there's nothing they can do to help me until AMEX CALLS ME to give me a code. Well I've received no call and the customer reps told me to try back later, maybe in about TWELVE HOURS. This is completely unacceptable.

Any ideas of what to do or how to make a complaint with AMEX??

That's all very strange. I've never heard of problems like this. Can't you activate without ever talking to a human? Is there something unusual about your situation, like being out of the country or something? I would call the number on the back of the card, ask for a supervisor, explain the litany of problems you've had and ask the supervisor to take control of the situation and solve whatever problem is going on.

Bohemiana May 23, 2016 10:32 am

Can I cancel Hampton Inn booking and rebook with Surpass?

I just noticed this Amex 100k Surpass deal and I want to sign up. I currently have 4 Hampton Inn stays I just booked yesterday. Can I cancel these and rebook when I get the card to get the 500 bonus per stay? Also, can I book through AA shopping portal and get 2pts per dollar PLUS 500 Hilton bonus, plus 12 per dollar paying with Surpass? I guess this is triple dipping.

birdiedouble May 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemiana (Post 26668966)
I just noticed this Amex 100k Surpass deal and I want to sign up. I currently have 4 Hampton Inn stays I just booked yesterday. Can I cancel these and rebook when I get the card to get the 500 bonus per stay? Also, can I book through AA shopping portal and get 2pts per dollar PLUS 500 Hilton bonus, plus 12 per dollar paying with Surpass? I guess this is triple dipping.

I had the same situation about two months ago. It was even a res for a HI. I didn't want to have to rebook because the rate had gone up and availability was looking thin. Once I had the card, I just logged into my account and updated the card on the reservation which I had made originally with a Visa card. The 500 point bonus posted.

Can't help you on the other questions.

Bohemiana May 23, 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble (Post 26669881)
I had the same situation about two months ago. It was even a res for a HI. I didn't want to have to rebook because the rate had gone up and availability was looking thin. Once I had the card, I just logged into my account and updated the card on the reservation which I had made originally with a Visa card. The 500 point bonus posted.

Can't help you on the other questions.

Thanks! You answered the main question. The other question I think I can just cancel and rebook through the AA shopping portal since prices haven't chance since yesterday.

birdiedouble May 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemiana (Post 26670246)
Thanks! You answered the main question. The other question I think I can just cancel and rebook through the AA shopping portal since prices haven't chance since yesterday.

The txt below is from the T&C's on the Surpass Card. It looks ike you need to book it through the Hilton affiliated website to get the bonus. I think you might be giving up some points (even more than the 500) on your stay by booking through the AA portal. Although whatever benefit you gain by purchasing thru AA might be more than you're giving up.

Online Booking Bonus
You will receive 500 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points from Hilton HHonors for each qualifying stay at any of the participating hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio when the stay is booked online at any Hilton HHonors brand website and paid for with your Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass Credit Card from American
Express.

Bohemiana May 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble (Post 26671500)
The txt below is from the T&C's on the Surpass Card. It looks ike you need to book it through the Hilton affiliated website to get the bonus. I think you might be giving up some points (even more than the 500) on your stay by booking through the AA portal. Although whatever benefit you gain by purchasing thru AA might be more than you're giving up.

Online Booking Bonus
You will receive 500 Hilton HHonorsTM Bonus Points from Hilton HHonors for each qualifying stay at any of the participating hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio when the stay is booked online at any Hilton HHonors brand website and paid for with your Hilton HHonorsTM Surpass Credit Card from American
Express.

Thanks for pointing that out. The AA deal is 2 miles per dollar and each reservation is about $400 so 3200 AA miles is worth more to me than 2000 Hilton Hhonors BUT room prices just went up before I had the chance to change anything so I'll just keep it as is and get the 500 Hilton Hhonors per reservation.

supermintyfresh May 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Want to book a hotel room for a family member.

Is there any way to ensure that the hotel uses my Amex Surpass credit card at checkout without me staying so I can earn points? Because usually at check out sometimes they ask for another form of payment. When booking, I just have to put my credit card on file but don't actually pay it.

Was thinking about adding them as authorized user but the card might not arrive in time.

Also was wondering if HHonors Gold benefits like breakfast that come with the card extend to them? Can I just book it under my name and add them as an additional guest? Will the front desk care if I don't show up?

Thanks in advance.

darthbimmer May 27, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh (Post 26688128)
Want to book a hotel room for a family member.

Is there any way to ensure that the hotel uses my Amex Surpass credit card at checkout without me staying so I can earn points? Because usually at check out sometimes they ask for another form of payment. When booking, I just have to put my credit card on file but don't actually pay it.

You could book a prepaid rate. The hotel would still ask your relative for a card for incidentals, but you'd be guaranteed having the room rate (and the points accruing from it) on your card.

HBKFan75 May 28, 2016 7:36 pm

I have had the no-fee Hilton Amex for a while and recently got the Surpass for the 100k bonus. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and the first statement has posted, but it had no HHonors information on the Amex web site for the longest time, and so far no points have shown up for my spend. Now it says 0 points available where it used to say no info available. I guess that's an improvement?

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone can tell me if this is normal and it'll work itself out in time or if I need to check with Amex if the right HHonors account is linked. I can't remember what it did when I got the no-fee card.

HBKFan75 May 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by HBKFan75 (Post 26695689)
I have had the no-fee Hilton Amex for a while and recently got the Surpass for the 100k bonus. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and the first statement has posted, but it had no HHonors information on the Amex web site for the longest time, and so far no points have shown up for my spend. Now it says 0 points available where it used to say no info available. I guess that's an improvement?

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone can tell me if this is normal and it'll work itself out in time or if I need to check with Amex if the right HHonors account is linked. I can't remember what it did when I got the no-fee card.

Update on this... I tried on the full web site (I had been using the mobile app) and it had a new HHonors number created for me rather than the one I used on the application. I chatted with Amex and they changed it, but now it says Not Available again, so maybe it will just take a bit to update. Man... Would have been so much simpler if I had known there was going to be a 100k upgrade offer when I applied for this new card, but hopefully it will all work out in the end.

yoshapman Jun 1, 2016 11:56 am

Has anyone had issues with Hilton referrals not posting? My wife referred 6 people (2 with regular Hilton and 4 with Surpass) in April and beginning of May, and nothing has posted. I referred 3 people about a week ago and my points for referrals already posted.