Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
Realized that I crossed the $40,000 spending during the previous statement, but my Hilton Status still showed Gold. How soon does the Diamond status reflect on the account once the spending requirement is met? Should I contact Hilton or American express about the diamond status?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by pollyG
Realized that I crossed the $40,000 spending during the previous statement, but my Hilton Status still showed Gold. How soon does the Diamond status reflect on the account once the spending requirement is met? Should I contact Hilton or American express about the diamond status?
My statement closed the 24th and surpassed 40K. No status upgrade yet 1 week later. So it takes at least 1 week. Oddly some previous comments in this forum said that it was only a day or two. So not sure what others experiences are. The terms and conditions say 10-12 weeks. If that is the case that is a big bummer, 25% of the perks are being used up during the approval process.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
How long a wait for Priority Pass card?

I'm getting the Surpass card and was curious how long the typical wait is from the time of first spend on the card to when the Priority Pass card arrives. The terms say "within 6 to 8 weeks." Has it been taking this long or is it quicker, typically? Thanks for info!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:03 am

If I remember correctly, when I applied for this surpass card in April 2017, I got 100K Hilton point and 1 reward night will be credit after the anniversary date. Now, I read the information about the new ascend card, it said I must spend $15000 in order to get a free award night.

I am not sure if I understand it correctly. I wonder what happens to the anniversary award night mentioned in the application at that time. Will I not get it if I do not spend 15K before April 2018

Can some one please confirm it for me. I am really confused
Thank you.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
If I remember correctly, when I applied for this surpass card in April 2017, I got 100K Hilton point and 1 reward night will be credit after the anniversary date. Now, I read the information about the new ascend card, it said I must spend $15000 in order to get a free award night.
AMEX Surpass has never provided a free night. Are you sure you don't have the Citi card?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
AMEX Surpass has never provided a free night. Are you sure you don't have the Citi card?
No, that is the correct information. I also applied for the Surpass card last summer and had the same offer of 100k points (which I received) and the free night after one year (which won't arrive until June 2018). It was explained in the T&C that it was a one-time only free night certificate, to be awarded on the anniversary date of getting the card.

I have the same question as to whether this will be honored.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Kacee
Last spring (when I applied) and later in the year they offered a free (weekend, I think) night on the 1st year anniversary.

Last edited by fredc84; Dec 6, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by vnfilm1

I am not sure if I understand it correctly. I wonder what happens to the anniversary award night mentioned in the application at that time. Will I not get it if I do not spend 15K before April 2018

Can some one please confirm it for me. I am really confused
Thank you.
I am in the same boat but I applied just a couple of months ago since they offered the deal at that time. I asked the question earlier in the other thread on the two news cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1875140-american-express-announces-two-new-hilton-credit-cards.html....you can see my question in Post # 134 and I got a response from the HH Rep in Post #255 that said the following: )

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative

So I signed up for the Surpass recently under the offer which offered the 100k sign up bonus after the $3k spend PLUS a free night after paying the second year annual fee. Based on what I’m reading Surpass holders will be upgraded to the Ascend card which will offer a free weekend night after spending $15k annually.
This brings up the following questions:
1. I assume free night on Surpass deal will be honored if I keep card after one year. Correct?

Correct
2. If I spend $15k once my card is moved over to the Ascend I will get a second free weekend night. Correct?
Correct

Thanks all,
Lauren

Last edited by christianj; Dec 6, 2017 at 5:57 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExArkie
No, that is the correct information. I also applied for the Surpass card last summer and had the same offer of 100k points (which I received) and the free night after one year (which won't arrive until June 2018). It was explained in the T&C that it was a one-time only free night certificate, to be awarded on the anniversary date of getting the card.
Now I feel cheated . . . had Surpass for years and never got a free night
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:25 am

Question: Just got a note from Amex: "HH Surpass Card will now be known as HH Ascend Card" (effective January 18, 2018) and the fee will increase to $95, etc.

Can I just cancel AMEX Surpass and re-apply for the 'new and different' Amex Ascend card - allowing me to get the bonus for the new card? If I allow them to convert the card, I won't be eligible to get the bonus again, correct? Can someone who knows please clarify this for me?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Question: Just got a note from Amex: "HH Surpass Card will now be known as HH Ascend Card" (effective January 18, 2018) and the fee will increase to $95, etc.

Can I just cancel AMEX Surpass and re-apply for the 'new and different' Amex Ascend card - allowing me to get the bonus for the new card? If I allow them to convert the card, I won't be eligible to get the bonus again, correct? Can someone who knows please clarify this for me?

Thanks!
I am in the same boat. I signed up for the surpass for the 100k and free night. I was going to hold it for gold status for a mere $75 annually. My anniversary will be up in FEB, well after the conversion. I don't want to drop the card just yet because I want to retain my 100k+ free night bonus. However, I do not want to lose the opportunity for an Ascend sign up bonus.

I really think AMEX should have discontinued the surpass and let the cards die off through attrition. Let the customer decided if they want to cancel or do PC.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
This is confusing..i have the surpass now, have received the 100k bonus already. There will be a counter for the anniversary for the first weekend night and a second spend counter for the weekend night. I wish the conversion was on January 1 instead of Jan 18th. Have a lot of foreign Hiltons booked that I don't currently use the Hilton card for, but with no foreign transaction fee it will be used. Was the surpass offer with first year annual fee free.hascanyine gotten a waiver on that. One more question. Any restrictions on the weekend night certificate?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Member

100K offer now seems to go to a 75k offer. Please post a working link to the 100k offer if you have one, and perhaps put it in the wiki?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
One more question. Ascend benefits include priority club passes. Did a physical card come with the card. I scant recall getting one.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
One more question. Ascend benefits include priority club passes. Did a physical card come with the card. I scant recall getting one.
i got a physical card, but there's a co-pay with each lounge visit. Probably won't get any use from this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.