Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Paying for a Stay: Hilton Honors Points versus Money or Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for a Stay: Hilton Honors Points versus Money or Cash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:59 am

Since the AMEX Hilton card is good for 3 Hilton points per dollar charged (5 on certain charges), I consider them to be worth one third of an airline mile.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I love these threads.

My value on HH is about 0.7 cents, so 40k for a $250 room is in the ballpark. If $250 was truly the cheapest decent hotel room in that market, I'd probably pull the trigger on the HH award. I'd rather keep cash in pocket and burn the points. But that's because I have more frequent-travel points and less cash.

Last time I got about a penny a point out of HH was when ALON's were 100k. I did two of them. A decent room in Waikaloa would have been $150/nt.+tax any way you slice it, and that was when HWV gave Golds kick-butt oceanview rooms, a welcome bottle of wine, and access to a great lounge. I definitely valued that one at a little over a penny a point.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
I agree with pinniped. I value them at .7 cents. Like others have pointed out, you get your best bang from the 4 (AXON) and 6 day (GLONP/2) awards or from single night stays in expensive cities. Don't forget to factor in the savings from not having to pay the room tax.

If you add the tax on your $250 room, you are real close to my point valuation. I could go either way on this one. Depends on whether you have plenty of points or are saving them for another opportunity.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It seems to be a matter of where you need to stay, and when.

I'm staying in Dubai in March. At the moment the least expensive standard room I can book for the date required comes out to just over USD375 including taxes. I have made a booking at the same place on the same night for 30000 points (C401). So that's 1.25 per point.

Note that this is all well in advance; for example, if I was to be staying there next week, I can get the same type of room for ~USD190. So I will be rechecking as March gets closer. It's not a big deal to cancel the booking and get the 30K points back.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Very subjective and depends on your circumstances. Personally I would not redeem at that rate. Can get significantly better value than US$250 for 40,000.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
<<deleted misinformation due to my error, quoted later in this thread for the curious>>

To the valuation discussion, I'd add the following thoughts:
  • [*]
  • [*]

Last edited by Rut Dog; Dec 8, 2005 at 11:36 pm
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Category 6 is the most expensive category at 35,000 points per night, so something is wrong with this equation.[/list]
According to the awards chart, a single night in a Category 6 is 40,000 point.

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...hotel_rewards_
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Category 6 is the most expensive category at 35,000 points per night, so something is wrong with this equation.
[/list]
Category 5 are 35,000, category 6 are 40,000 per night.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Here's another recent thread on the value of HHonors points:

Does .7 cents for a Hilton point sound like a good value?

I think the proposed award stay (40,000 points for a $250 room) is a decent, but not spectacular, redemption value. And remember that you get stay credit for award stays with HHonors! ^
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:10 pm

There are some very nice (and expensive) category 4s out there. (The Hilton Athens can be a very good value at 25,000 points a night.) I would spend the $250 (or try to find a cheaper hotel) and save the points for a time that you can get at least a penny a point out of them.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, A-Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
I try to reach $0.01 per point when I redeem an award. Hilton sells its points at that price. I agree that $0.007 is usually a more realistic value for redemption but you can go even beyond $0.01 if you book in peak season in New York city, London and Rome.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Other factors to consider are:

1. How many HHonors points do you have -- tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions?

2. How often do you redeem HHonors awards? Rarely or frequently?

3. Are there other potential HHonors stays coming up in the next year or so out of which you might squeeze better value (especially if you don't have that big a pool of points)?

I think the advice we can give here is pretty limited unless such things are taken into consideration. And most people responding to the question posed by the OP could be making assumptions that may or may not be applicable to the OP's particular situation.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Other factors to consider are:

1. How many HHonors points do you have -- tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions?

2. How often do you redeem HHonors awards? Rarely or frequently?

3. Are there other potential HHonors stays coming up in the next year or so out of which you might squeeze better value (especially if you don't have that big a pool of points)?
And #4 would be... How much money do you have, that you can spend on a hotel room?

I recently had two hotel stays, which were part of a MR and since I spent the cash on the plane tix I spent the points on the HIs. Cat 1 ($99) and Cat 2 ($129). I definately do not think that was a good value point wise, but I just didn't want to spend any more $$ right now after spending it on the tix.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Nomade
I try to reach $0.01 per point when I redeem an award. Hilton sells its points at that price. I agree that $0.007 is usually a more realistic value for redemption but you can go even beyond $0.01 if you book in peak season in New York city, London and Rome.
I routinely get 2.28 - 3.5 cents of value per 1 HHonors point (as measured by lowest available rate for said properties on those dates).
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:25 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I've had 4 stays in the past 12 months on points and that's helped me retain my diamond status ... and each time I pick up a few more points.

Like has been previously said, the points are worth nothing if you don't spend them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.