Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Your defensiveness hardly adds to your credibility; reference the bolded above. Again, you may wish to think twice before posting absolutes. OP, best of luck.
I won't make personal attacks on you nor your own credibility. However, if you take the entire post you would get the entire story.
Therefore, my next sentence was............

Advanced purchase rates you cannot modify or cancel. These are non- refundable rates.

and yes,.......the first piece of the post is also from the T&C of an advanced purchase price.

Do exceptions occur? absolutely. and what does it take to become one of those rare exceptions? that's to be determined. Do I think the OP will get a refund? I think it's unlikely, but apparently, yet to be determined.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 6:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The rates are non refundable. But many times they will work with you, so it's best to give them a call (the hotel directly) and see if there's anything they can do for you.

There are no absolutes in the world of Hilton, so it's always worth asking. Despite what you read here.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
The rates are non refundable. But many times they will work with you, so it's best to give them a call (the hotel directly) and see if there's anything they can do for you.

There are no absolutes in the world of Hilton, so it's always worth asking. Despite what you read here.
very nicely put. I agree completely. No absolutes in any reward program, not just hilton.

exceptions exists, and how to be one of those exceptions is case by case basis (but I stand by the 'refunds' to be extremely rare exceptions).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Hope things work out for you DFWFairy.

I think you may have much more success in getting the hotel in question to provide a credit (value being the amount you have already paid) towards a future stay at the same property within 6 months once you explain the situation to them. It helps greatly if you don't have a history of making and then cancelling reservations. I do not believe you will get a refund unfortunately.

I recently (with the friendly help of the diamond desk) was in the same position and was able to reschedule a non refundable stay to a later date. ^^ Refund was not possible.

HTH. Good luck. ^
This is the most likely scenario and the same as I experienced. I was allowed to apply the amt I paid to a future stay w/i 6 months but NOT allowed a refund. My tour was also cancelled. That was NOT considered a valid excuse to refund the cost (it was non-refundable after all!) and most definitely NOT the same as a flight cancellation. After all, you still have plenty of time to make alternative plans, unlike an immediate flight cancellation.

I ended up not being able to make a visit in the time frame I was given and lost the money. I was grateful for the hotel for their flexibilitybut in the end, it was MY problem I couldn't use the room I paid for. Since I booked a non-redundable rate, losing the money is the risk I accepted in booking it.

The OP and anyone booking a non-refundable rate MUST accept the risk he/she agreed to when booking a non-refundable rate with no right to be angry at the hotel or Hilton if they refuse to refund the money (highly likely) or allow the money to applied to a future visit (most likely allowance but not mandatory).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
This is the most likely scenario and the same as I experienced. I was allowed to apply the amt I paid to a future stay w/i 6 months but NOT allowed a refund. My tour was also cancelled. That was NOT considered a valid excuse to refund the cost (it was non-refundable after all!) and most definitely NOT the same as a flight cancellation. After all, you still have plenty of time to make alternative plans, unlike an immediate flight cancellation.

I ended up not being able to make a visit in the time frame I was given and lost the money. I was grateful for the hotel for their flexibilitybut in the end, it was MY problem I couldn't use the room I paid for. Since I booked a non-redundable rate, losing the money is the risk I accepted in booking it.

The OP and anyone booking a non-refundable rate MUST accept the risk he/she agreed to when booking a non-refundable rate with no right to be angry at the hotel or Hilton if they refuse to refund the money (highly likely) or allow the money to applied to a future visit (most likely allowance but not mandatory).

Thanks for confirming your experience.^ and what I tried to iterate already (non-refundable).

Of course, a credit is better than nothing, (but likely is a case by case basis), but the answer to the OP's question is that it is not refundable (according to the T&C of advanced purchase rates).

Last edited by shoreline; Feb 18, 2013 at 7:35 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
[QUOTE=cordelli;20266988]The rates are non refundable. But many times they will work with you, so it's best to give them a call (the hotel directly) and see if there's anything they can do for you.

There are no absolutes in the world of Hilton, so it's always worth asking. Despite what you read here.[/QUOTE]

This is a much better answer then a previous one that gave the impression they are never able to be modified or cancelled. Blanket never statements and always false. :-)

I have been able to cancel these in the past due to weather (hurricanes) and unsafe (coups) situations.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
[QUOTE=cordelli;20266988]The rates are non refundable. But many times they will work with you, so it's best to give them a call (the hotel directly) and see if there's anything they can do for you.

This is a much better answer then a previous one that gave the impression they are never able to be modified or cancelled. Blanket never statements and always false. :-)

I have been able to cancel these in the past due to weather (hurricanes) and unsafe (coups) situations.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there ya go. Weather may often be an 'exception' to cancellation policies as well. (as I have seen often).

My post did not metion the word "never" nor the word "always". In fact, maybe it should be in everyone's signature line here as a member on FT that ymmv.

I was simply stating the T&C regarding an advanced purchase rate +

beyond that I was answering a "specifc" question to a refund.

modified and cancelled both have very different definitions than 'refund' (as I am sure you are aware).

You may disagree all you like, however, the question was 'regarding a refund'.

Therefore, it will be nice if the OP post his update once the resolution has been presented (or not).

The hotel MAY or MAY NOT work with the OP (and can/ will the OP even make it back to that area again, is unknown and is irrelevant to the 'specific question about a refund').

Best of luck to the OP and really hope you will post your resolution for future readers.

Last edited by shoreline; Feb 18, 2013 at 2:47 pm Reason: added words: nor the word always
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Well, got a reply after a wee from the property itself:

Thank you for contacting to our Guest Assistance with regards to your reservation at Hilton Izmir for the night of 19th May 2013.

We have received your initial enquiry on 17th Feb and a reply has been sent to you the following day. I am sorry to hear that the attached reply has not reached you. The email address we have on our file for you is ***.com which I am forwarding the email once again.

With regards to your reservation for 19th May, the chosen rate was a special offer which was available for a limited period of time. Within the terms and conditions of this rate, full prepayment required at the time of booking which is non refundable and the reservation is non changeable. Full prepayment of 460.08TL has been taken for this reservation and at the time of booking. At this stage we are not able to cancel this reservation or refund the pre payment.

Please do let me know the receipt of this email and please do not hesitate to contact myself if I could be any of your further assistance.

Kind Regards

Well, 2 nights down the drain. But can't help something I can't foresee. Oh well.

Last edited by DFWFairy; Feb 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Well, got a reply after a wee from the property itself:

Thank you for contacting to our Guest Assistance with regards to your reservation at Hilton Izmir for the night of 19th May 2013.

We have received your initial enquiry on 17th Feb and a reply has been sent to you the following day. I am sorry to hear that the attached reply has not reached you. The email address we have on our file for you is ***.com which I am forwarding the email once again.

With regards to your reservation for 19th May, the chosen rate was a special offer which was available for a limited period of time. Within the terms and conditions of this rate, full prepayment required at the time of booking which is non refundable and the reservation is non changeable. Full prepayment of 460.08TL has been taken for this reservation and at the time of booking. At this stage we are not able to cancel this reservation or refund the pre payment.

Please do let me know the receipt of this email and please do not hesitate to contact myself if I could be any of your further assistance.

Kind Regards

Well, 2 nights down the drain. But can't help something I can't foresee. Oh well.
Thank you for returning to post your update. Record of accurate information is useful for future FT'ers with the same questions.

As always, ymmv; but with advance purchase rates, the policy is NO refund and actually getting a refund is usually unlikely. (I am certain a few rare exceptions exists, i.e. weather related flight cancellations, but what other exceptions exist for a 'refund' seem to be non existent or unknown).

And, it also appears, getting the hotel to 'work with you' (as some above insisted exists) also appears to be very much ymmv. It's a hotels decision and I am certain they have boundaries as well. (never hurts to ask, but probably should not be expected as the T&C also state no changes.)

Thanks again for the update.^
Old May 11, 2013, 3:56 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Hilton Dusseldorf - Advance Purchase Rate

I might consider a stay in this hotel 31 May but my plans are not fixed yet.
I looked at this hotel and saw them offering an advanced purchase rate, as I will be paying for the hotel myself (as it's more convenient with the early flight I might need to take) every € I save is welcome.

Unfortunately the T&C of the rate does not mention how many days upfront I should book this or when this rate will disappear from the site.

Anyway I will start to rush my colleagues at work to get them to confirm the flights asap but it would help me to know how many days I still have.

I'm not familiar with Hilton. Is this 'advance purchase' a fixed term across Hilton or something specific for each hotel. In that case I might just contact the Hotel of course.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Advance purchase is a fixed arrangement across Hilton; in my experience it generally disappears 7 days before the day of stay but it could go up in the meantime, or of course the hotel could become booked out.

For German hotels full payment is taken when you book but you get 10% of it back if you cancel.
Old May 11, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
I have no experience with the Hilton Dusseldorf. Rate was down, yes, and yet I decided to stay at the Swissôtel
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Canceling a Non-Refundable Reservation

So I booked a room that happened to be non-refundable ( I didn't see non-refundable posted on the page) and not even 5 minutes later realized it was the wrong hotel.

What is the policy on non-refundable reservations? Is there any loophole?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm not sure what Hilton's "official" policy is but I would suggest quickly calling Hilton reservations up and ask if you can cancel it. I think that Marriott will allow canceling similar type of reservations for upto 24 hours after they are made. So maybe Hilton has a similar policy in place.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I think you will have more luck if you intend to change to another Hilton, as opposed to a straight out cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.