FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Refundable Advance Reservations and Room Rates: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:09 am
travelinfoo

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Hope things work out for you DFWFairy.

I think you may have much more success in getting the hotel in question to provide a credit (value being the amount you have already paid) towards a future stay at the same property within 6 months once you explain the situation to them. It helps greatly if you don't have a history of making and then cancelling reservations. I do not believe you will get a refund unfortunately.

I recently (with the friendly help of the diamond desk) was in the same position and was able to reschedule a non refundable stay to a later date. ^^ Refund was not possible.

HTH. Good luck. ^
This is the most likely scenario and the same as I experienced. I was allowed to apply the amt I paid to a future stay w/i 6 months but NOT allowed a refund. My tour was also cancelled. That was NOT considered a valid excuse to refund the cost (it was non-refundable after all!) and most definitely NOT the same as a flight cancellation. After all, you still have plenty of time to make alternative plans, unlike an immediate flight cancellation.

I ended up not being able to make a visit in the time frame I was given and lost the money. I was grateful for the hotel for their flexibilitybut in the end, it was MY problem I couldn't use the room I paid for. Since I booked a non-redundable rate, losing the money is the risk I accepted in booking it.

The OP and anyone booking a non-refundable rate MUST accept the risk he/she agreed to when booking a non-refundable rate with no right to be angry at the hotel or Hilton if they refuse to refund the money (highly likely) or allow the money to applied to a future visit (most likely allowance but not mandatory).