Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn & Suites Mexico City - Centro Historico {MEX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn & Suites Mexico City - Centro Historico {MEX}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I’m here. I don’t think it’s a dump. It’s architecturally interesting and not a bland generic HI. The rooms are fine; certainly not five star but perfectly fine, in line with HI brand standard. It doesn’t strike me as a particularly dodgy part of a Latin American city (I’ve spent time in enough to get an idea of “dodgy”). I don’t feel ripped off having not spent an extra $50 a night (in effect) for the Hilton Reforma. The fifth floor outdoor terrace is a nice enough place to have una cerveza (got one down the street at Oxxo). Pasterelia Madrid across the street is a fine place to grab something to go with the café de olla you can get at the HI for breakfast.

Certainly won’t discourage people from forming their own opinions but I would return for 5 nights/80k points. If that changes i’ll Let you know. Thanks CMK10 for your detailed review.

Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Review

I just checked out of this Hampton Inn today. I had two back to back stays. One with cash $54.00 per day x2, and one with points (20,000 per day) x2 days.

I posted some information in the "Hampton breakfast thread" also.

My stay was uneventful, and I enjoyed it very much, even though anyone in the Centro Historic area was basically on lockdown and couldn't leave because the streets were closed off for about 19 hours while the government performed their first Independence Day celebrations and Military parade without the public, all broadcast live. They pulled it off without a glitch. The guests were allowed to view the fireworks from the 5th floor terrace. As the only rooms available to occupy at this time were floors 1-3 during this pandemic. Mexico City is still under a orange alert, so many places are still not open and certain protocols must be followed. The alerts run from Red, Orange, Yellow and Green (which is back to normal pre-covid). Each state within Mexico is rated separately.

REVIEW:

The Hilton Covid-19 protocol was very thorough. Temperature checked before ever entering inside. Then shoes disinfected. Then luggage disinfected. Then your hands disinfected. The bellhop took access of your luggage placing it on a sanitized cart and waiting until you are checked in to guide you to your room. There's markings on the floor and by the elevators. Extra automatic sanitizer dispensers. The bellhop will explain that your door is sealed and when he opens it the seal will break. You'll notice the cleaning staff constantly cleaning. It's spotless there.

The entrance to the hotel is physically monitored by one to two staff members at all times. Who will greet you and determine your ability to enter.

I booked a Queen standard room to get the low price. When I arrived they upgraded me to a double queen suite on the 3rd floor with front door view of the atrium. Separate bedroom, tub, fridge and microwave. Probably because I'm a diamond.

They normally have a buffet, but due to covid-19, breakfast is via complimentary room service available between 7:00am and 10:00 am, by submitting a paper menu request the day before. Bottled water is available around the clock, from housekeeping or the front desk.

I only realized my last day that they constantly change housekeepers, that it's best to tip them everyday instead of waiting. Housekeeping was by demand and I never needed housekeeping the four days I was there, however I did request water. And I did leave a tip, but wish the first housekeeper was there my last day to tip her too. But, since I'm going back I'll find her!

The room was very clean. It was on the same side as the front entrance and at a very busy corner, just a few blocks from the Zocalo. Good location to people watch too.

You'll hear noise, like the sound of whistles from the traffic/transit officers and yelling from hawkers. But, not so much after midnight. There are quieter rooms too.

One thing I really liked, and have not seen at any other hotels were the peek-a-boo shower curtains. At the top (only), there's like little circles you can see through. So, when you're showering you can know for a fact that nobody is standing on the other side of the shower curtain, like in the Bates Hotel😳 lol

The water doesn't get dangerously hot, and I believe it is thermostat controlled, so anybody looking for scalding hot shower, go somewhere else. But, I personally like thermostat controlled showers. Also, the water pressure is very good.

I carry a blacklight with me and did a complete check of the entire room, walls, sheets, carpet, especially the bathroom. A+ rating. Didn't find anything, not even on the carpet! That's not normal. Excellent cleanliness 👍

The microwave worked fine. The refrigerator is actually a beverage cooler, so keep that in mind. For the past 13 years, I've traveled with a miniature size infrared thermometer and checked the fridge, which hovered around 50 degrees fahrenheit. The front desk will issue you a ticket to hold any food in their main refrigerator if necessary. But, food that will be eaten in 2-4 hours the beverage cooler will suffice.

There's an in room safe. I never use those safes, as in many cases, unfortunately, almost everyone has the master code. I do lock it just to demonstrate that I most likely have valuables stored there, so whatever sucker tries to open it, feels a little salty.

The staff wad very accommodating, especially during the Centro shutdown. All the stores and restaurants had closed early, so I went out looking for something to eat and all I found was McDonald's. I ended up buying mcdonald's for me and the staff as a thank you since they were stuck there too. But, silly me forgot the hotel had two restaurants, duh, so I had the staff hold my Big Macs in their fridge while I ate at the restaurant (Fishers) which has some awesome food and 20% off for hotel guests. They serve alcoholic beverages too! Accept all credit cards including Amex.

The building that houses this Hampton Inn is spectacular. In no way it felt like a Hampton Inn.

As far as the general area, and safety/security concerns. The average experienced traveler will have no issues walking around this area day or night. I said experienced for a reason, because unfortunately, many tourists that travel have no common sense and they oftentimes end up a statistic, not just in Mexico City, but anywhere they go. Especially, pickpocket central Barcelona and Rome. If you actually read the stories of crimes that happen to tourists here, it's unfortunate, but, they were begging to be robbed. iPhone in their hand staring at Google maps, etc. Looking lost, wearing a lot of bling and flashing money.

And many think because they're in areas like Condesa and Polanco that they're safe. No! That's where the money is, so that's where the street muggings are in elevated numbers, especially folks leaving the ATMs.

Common sense is all you need. I've been here two years now and knock on wood I've been fine. But, I take precautions and use a burner phone in some cases and a dummy wallet and carry only the essentials. I do that in mostly every city I visit, especially walking in some sketchy areas.

When evaluating crime rates, be certain to look at the ones that would affect you as a tourist, and not cartel/gang related paybacks and homicides. So, robberies/muggings would come to mind. And unfortunately those crimes are very high in the nicer areas.

Below is a link to some crime statistics in Mexico City's posher neighborhoods, related to robberies:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/pol...erilous-zones/

Use street sense and you'll have a great trip and wonderful time in Mexico City.

I really enjoyed my stay and plan to book another stay.

I'll post some photos in a separate post.
bitterproffit and curlingfan like this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Sep 17, 2020 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Photos

Photos I captured inside and outside during my stay:

The police were having roll-call outside the hotel. They all dispersed when it was completed. This was the first day they opened up the streets again.

View of the fireworks from the terrace. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the Zocalo.

Fishers restaurant menu.

Hilton free breakfast

Suites on level 5

Terrace on level 5

Terrace

Terrace

Door to one of the deluxe suites

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Sep 17, 2020 at 7:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.