Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Koh Samui {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
I have seen mentions in this thread about a Diamond wine reception at CKS. Does anybody know if this is a weekly event and if so which day of the week?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by ddkrules
I have seen mentions in this thread about a Diamond wine reception at CKS. Does anybody know if this is a weekly event and if so which day of the week?
That happened on Friday evening in the lounge area next to Jahn. It was very nice and happened right at sunset.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: free agent
Still plan to stay at this property this October (hopefully little or no rain). I am curious about recent datapoints on transportation part and Mr Samui will be best option for ones who don't want to rent a car? Mr Samui still charge 2200 roundtrip?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
We used Mr Samui when we were there this past May. 2200 sounds about right.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I am here now and the Diamond reception is supposedly two nights a week. Finance manager Jeet told me on Friday he'd see me again before leaving (he's heading to another Hilton property in Thailand).Will report back if that's the case. It was great to see Lyle and I mentioned to him how much we missed him at CR Maldives. Meanwhile, first visit here at CKS has been wonderful. Not having a car hasn't been an issue. Pretty much have lived in our pool. Views are amazing. Noise from the pier construction hasn't been an issue. Will report my room after I return.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold HH
I stayed at CKS last weekend. I’m glad I took the advice on FT and did not pay to upgrade. Our oceanfront villa had a wonderful view, and we really appreciated being able to walk to the main pool and breakfast. The pier construction was just below us. While we could see it if we peered over the edge of our pool, the noise was minimal at worst. I would not be concerned about it. I found it interesting that my husband and I were invited to the wine reception, even though we are only gold. It was a lovely way to end our stay.
The hard product at CKS is fantastic, but we definitely experienced a few service quirks. Overall, it’s a property I’d recommend to anyone (you can’t beat the villa and views), but we’ve had better service elsewhere in Thailand.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Just got back home after 6 nights at CKS.

There were a few small changes from last year but things are mostly are the same.

Drones are now banned at the resort which is a welcome change as a couple of people were flying them last time.

They are in the process of updating the menu at Jahn which would be welcome.

There was a Manager's reception on Monday last week.

The HPC complimentary afternoon tea is now at Jahn which is an upgrade.

While the service last year was hit and miss this year it was mostly miss (the hotel was at full capacity though which probably didn't help). Individual staff are always friendly and accommodating but there always seems to be some sort of breakdown in communication to actually get things implemented.

Turn down service was erratic, one night we had them arrive at 6.20pm when we getting dressed for a dinner reservation at 7pm (not so bad but surely they knew where we would be given it was a reservation at The Cellar), another night at 9.30pm and one night at 10.20pm. For both the later times we were in bed and the last on we were asleep and woken by the bell being rung. Really seemed more like Fawlty Towers than Conrad service.

There was an incident with a drunk female guest at the spa who barged in to my wife's treatment room and pushed her while she was getting changed. The guest then ran off into the vegetation and was eventually pursued and apprehended by security.

The staff at the spa were very apologetic, however nothing about what happened to my wife was passed on to management. Apparently the guest was removed from the property but we would have expected some sort of acknowledgement of what had transpired at either the manager's reception or the next spa treatment my wife attended.

Overall it felt like standards have dropped a little bit from last year, it is still a lovely property and has a better than average food offering but the erratic service really lets it down.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Aug 12, 2018 at 5:18 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:16 am

Thanks for the tid bits. Looking to visit this property again this or early next year but I might give it a miss since we had a large number of issues last time. How was their (wait staff) English BTW? Did you notice any improvement?

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
There was an incident with a drunk female guest at the spa who barged in to my wife's treatment room and pushed her while she was getting changed. The guest then ran off into the vegetation and was eventually pursued and apprehended by security.
Drunk ninja, eh? You'd have to be to 'run off into the vegetation' and not be taken to hospital with broken bones from falling down a few levels, LOL. Good job she was booted off the property. ^

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
Turn down service was erratic..... Really seemed more like Fawlty Towers than Conrad service.
LMAO! POTM goes to SponsorSFC! ^
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for the tid bits. Looking to visit this property again this or early next year but I might give it a miss since we had a large number of issues last time. How was their (wait staff) English BTW? Did you notice any improvement?

Drunk ninja, eh? You'd have to be to 'run off into the vegetation' and not be taken to hospital with broken bones from falling down a few levels, LOL. Good job she was booted off the property. ^

LMAO! POTM goes to SponsorSFC! ^
The wait staff's English on average was probably a bit better than last year. Jahn was obviously a better standard than Zest with mostly the same staff as last year. We were served by the Food and Reservations Manager Ton the one time we went to Azure who understandably was much more fluent and was good to have a chat and a joke with. Bank who we had met not long after he started last year at the Sunset Lounge happy hour was our waiter at the Cellar and his English was fantastic so were able to have a nice relaxed chat with him throughout the meal (otherwise it could be a bit awkward).

Outside of breakfast the service in the restaurants was pretty good overall (Zest good, Jahn and the Cellar fantastic) and even then nothing major went wrong. There was more small annoyances like you order a coffee and nothing appears for a while then all of a sudden two arrive in quick succession, or for example one morning we ordered off the eggs menu and we see what was in hindsight our order tour around Zest before heading back to the kitchen. When we asked about our eggs they were remade and came out hot and quickly so not too bad but these are all small things that didn't seem to happen last year.

Apparently Lyle Lewis is retiring in about 7 months. it will Be interesting if Marco Araujo is promoted or they go external. This along with the planned menu refresh may change things.

It is still a great hotel but we will probably wait for a refurb to occur before we head back as next year we are going to Europe with a stop at Rangali on the way back.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Aug 13, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:13 pm

Manager reception is again tonight (Tuesday). So Tuesday and Friday, from 18:45-19:30.

I've really enjoyed my stay. Aside from them canceling the island boat trip due to weather (questionable if that was the reason the 2nd time), it's been a great from start to finish.

I haven't once been frustrated with the English-proficiency of the staff. Their English is much better than my Thai (on that note, they've enjoyed my attempts to converse in Thai).

Long story, short - I will be returning.

Happy to help add my two cents to any questions, going forward.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:36 am

Can anyone recall the amount of the credit card hold for incidentals here? I've got a 5 night award stay coming up.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by 606
Can anyone recall the amount of the credit card hold for incidentals here? I've got a 5 night award stay coming up.
I want to say our hold was roughly $300 for our 3-night stay, but I could be off. The hotel is pretty responsive, if you want to email.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Is it worth splurging and staying here for 10 nights on points? Looking at going for Christmas season..
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:24 pm

While my experience at CKS was great, I would definitely tire of the property with a 10-night stay. I spent 3 nights there and thought that was just right, though I met a few people spending 5-7 nights there. The property is very isolated, and there are many other wonderful beaches on Koh Samui, and other nearby islands. I would recommend splitting up the stay.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:57 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to book 10 nights. My recent stay was 7 nights and I would've loved to have 3 more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.