Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Car got broken in on Hilton parking lot.... compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car got broken in on Hilton parking lot.... compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Just about every hotel I stay at has had a sign either in the parking lot or near the front entrance that states something to the effect of "Parkers assume all risk" or "Hotel accepts no risk for cars parked on this property."
I would say 99% have that somwhere. There have been a few hotel were I worried about parking, but if I am worried about the parking lot, I am more worried about myself, since it is a bad area.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Just about every hotel I stay at has had a sign either in the parking lot or near the front entrance that states something to the effect of "Parkers assume all risk" or "Hotel accepts no risk for cars parked on this property."
If you look at the back of a baseball game ticket stub, it tells you that the stadium isn't liable if something happens to you. But if you get hit with a flying baseball bat, you're going to sue. Basically, to sign away your rights you have to do just that ... sign something. Posting a sign won't do it.

My wife the lawyer explained it this way ... it's about the assumption of risk. If you get hit with a baseball at a baseball game, well, that's something you might assume is somewhat likely to happen so you can't really sue. But being hit with a bat, well, that is unlikely to happen so you probably could win a lawsuit.

Basically, you would need to consider whether parking at a Hilton parking lot will mean that your car might likely get broken into or not.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I oversee development and management of retail and entertainment properties across the country, and we have been taken to court many times by people who have had their cars broken into. Every case has been either dismissed, or immediately ruled in our favor. Even when we designate an area for employees to park, we are not obligated to provide security for YOUR car, just a reasonable level of security for the area.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MKEbound
I don't PAY to park at Sears, but I do PAY to park at a hotel. Along with that payment I expect some security.
At the Sears in Santa Monica CA, you do have to pay (except you get something like an hour or two free with proof of purchase), because the store is just a few blocks from the beach as well as from from paid parking structures for the 3rd Street Promende, and people were parking at Sears when going elsewhere.

But while the OP didn't explain when all these breakins occurred, I'm betting it was in the middle of the night, and I bet, paid or not, you don't park at Sears in the middle of the night!

Btw, not all Hilton properties charge for parking. Do you expect more security at those that do than those that don't? Whether they charge or not, in my experience, is once again related more to whether they fear people parking there who are going to other nearby plades instead, rather than to pay for security. Ie, Hiltons across the street from airports tend to charge parking, Hiltons set aside in an area far from anything else (that people might want parking for) are less likely to charge parking.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 10, 2008 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I oversee development and management of retail and entertainment properties across the country, and we have been taken to court many times by people who have had their cars broken into. Every case has been either dismissed, or immediately ruled in our favor. Even when we designate an area for employees to park, we are not obligated to provide security for YOUR car, just a reasonable level of security for the area.
To get a ruling, the plaintiff would have to prove negligence on the part of the hotel. Not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.