Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport {US-NJ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport {US-NJ}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by Flyer737
That hotel is by far the worst Doubletree I have ever stayed in. A true rat hole with poor service as well.
I must congratulate you on your timid and restrained language.
It was the pits.
I stayed there two nights during its final weekend as a Doubletree in December 2007. The posting before yours explains the change-over, I was not aware of that during my stay. I used it mainly as a bag-drop and a napping spot, in between a day-trip to DC and Arizona.

Now I realise it was not just the worst Hilton chain property I had ever known, and in need of change. All the rats had left the ship and it was totally out of control, a ship-wreck waiting to happen.

The new owner may claim it is a different world, but I am more cautious.
IME, in such cases, unless the place is exorcised, fumigated, rebuilt, and all, like all, staff have been removed with a ban on anyone from their extended familiy ever being employed there, then something rotten seems to linger.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Actually, no, you didn't. You stayed at what was formerly the EWR Sheraton, which is now a Doubletree.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...hilton-11.html

(I've stayed at this place in both the SPG and Hilton incarnations. Generic airport hotel sounds about right, but I've stayed there for $90ish the times I've stayed there, so not too shabby for someplace with good access to NYC.)

The Doubletree being posted about here left the Hilton/Doubletree chain some time ago and is now a Renaissance.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...airport-hotel/

My guess is you searched on Doubletree Newark and didn't read the thread?
oh just when I thought the doubletree was going to be super crappy
Old May 10, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'll be there again in a week, for $100 all-in. It's generic airport hotel, but a decent rate for what you get (MVP rate).
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Doubletree Newark Airport stay for NY Comic Con

Last minute plans with our sponsor (in the Toy Biz) had us cancelling our stay in Nashville, TN for Wizard World Con & having us heading to NY for NY Comic Con.

We normally stay in Manhattan, but seeing we are a bit late the prices are $300-$400 a night in October. So we found a super Cash/Points deal at the Doubletree Newark Airport - 4-Nights = $184.00/34,000 points Total

We are hoping to take the PATH from Penn station (or similar) to the Javits Center Thurs thru Sat.

Anyone ever did something similar? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
No need to use PATH - NJ Transit runs from Newark Airport (or Penn Station Newark) to Penn Station NYC which is within walking distance of the Javits Center.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:12 pm

Brilliant - thanks so much
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
+1. I am actually staying at this hotel tonight because of IRROPS. The hotel has shuttle that drops you to the P4 airport train station. You can take the airport train for a single stop to the Newark airport train station. That will take you to Penn Station NYC.

The hotel is alright and one of the best in the Newark airport area; try to get to a higher floor. And eat in NYC
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:20 pm

But you realize that taking a NJT train to NY Penn will set you back $12.50 EACH WAY? If time is of no concern, you could take the 62 bus to Newark Penn station ($1.50) and then take the PATH train ($2.25). Of course, this is only recommended during daytime if you have enough time. You may also need to take the airtrain from P4 to one of the terminals (free of charge) to take the bus.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0062.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
I'm pretty sure we paid a cash + points rate of 40 $ & 8k pts in july
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:23 am

Super info gang - thanks so much. We will be doing the shuttle to the train Friday & Saturday, don't mind about the $12.50 each way seeing we got our 4 night stay for the price of parking in Manhattan.

However Thursday night we have to be at the Convention pretty late, until 10:30pm or so. So will be taking a Cab direct to the Hotel. Called a few companies and they are saying $35-40. This will work & really looking forward to NYCC - will be our last Con for the year (finally!)
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Any recent experiences?
Decent doable?

128 Frontage Rd, Newark, NJ 07114

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 14, 2014 at 11:23 am
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Basic, well-worn 3.5ish * airport hotel originally built in the '70's. Go in with reasonable expectations (such as you're going to pay half what you'd pay on the other side of the Hudson River ) and you won't be disappointed. I'd go back again. I consider this a better property than the Ramada Inn down the road (which isn't saying much, but we're talking high traffic airport hotel here, it is what it is).
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:46 pm

Got stuck overnight at Newark in January. For that kind of situation, the Doubletree is a good enough hotel and the price was right. It was 8,000 points + $40. Obviously it is not a destination hotel, but it does have a spacious freshly refurbished atrium lobby, indoor pool, and a full service restaurant and free shuttle that reliably runs every half hour. Room furniture is showing some wear but it clean and smells good with good beds, pillows and linen that are newer. The staff is good. Room service was efficient and the food was OK. The breakfast for Gold includes hot foods and eggs to order, not just continental. The interior balcony rooms look like they would be better than those with an outside view, because the view is purely ugly. Airline personnel stay there.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:07 pm

did hilton eliminate cash and points for booking newark doubletree?

I was able to book hotel with 8000 points plus $40 up until last week. However, this does not seem to be available for booking any more? Did Hilton eliminate cash and points option? Of just this particular property? Just curios if anyone can shed some lights?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are few Points & Money dates in the coming two weeks, but not none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.